Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Buying white goods

Buying white goods

Old Mar 14th 2005, 5:52 am
Jaffadutch

Default Buying white goods

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me if its worth taking white goods with me, or would it be cheaper to buy new in new zealand?
Or could anyone tell me the name of your white good stores over there? i can then check prices on their websites.

Cheers

Glen

Old Mar 14th 2005, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Buying white goods

Hi Jaffadutch,

You could check out these websites they will give you a rough idea but remember if you look around you can find things cheaper. I always bargin with the stores too.

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp/...atalogId=10001

http://www.farmers.co.nz/info/

http://shopping.xtramsn.co.nz/storedirectory

Carol
Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:20 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Also worth bearing in mind that if your appliances require servicing, the chances of there being any parts in NZ are poor to non-existent.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:29 pm
Deb+Chris

Originally Posted by Jaffadutch
Hello all,

Can anyone tell me if its worth taking white goods with me, or would it be cheaper to buy new in new zealand?
Or could anyone tell me the name of your white good stores over there? i can then check prices on their websites.

Cheers

Glen
If your thinking in Pounds then these things will most prob be cheaper in NZ... a tip though.. don't buy a top loader washing machine.. horrendous.. stick to front loaders... I was overjoyed when my Bosch arrived!!

Old Mar 14th 2005, 5:25 pm
Jaffadutch

thankyou all,

i think it would probably be cheaper to buy there rather than transport goods over. Other than clothes there is nothing major i need to take.
Transport costs seem to out way any savings i can make here so might as well buy new.

Thankyou all again for taking the time to answer...

Glen

Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:00 am
Just Joined

cheekychops is an unknown quantity at this point

We shopped around for white goods and eventually got really good prices. Most shops will price match or beat competiors. It has worked out much more econmicial to buy new than ship over.

I love our top loader. It is great being able to just lift the lid and add in extra washing. The cleaning cyles also tend to be generally quicker than front loaders.
Most houses have a separate laundry, so provide the space required for a top loader.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:45 am
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Most NZ houses don't require you to house your washing machine under the kitchen worktop, hence the prevalence of top-loaders. Not as entertaining for the kiddies as a front-loader though...

The quality of the newer F&P washers is excellent - no gearbox to wear out, easily serviced pump (via front access panel) if you get a blockage, good implementation of electronics too. They even use less water than a front-loader.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 11:13 am
Jaffadutch

Thankyou all for your replies

Glen

Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:03 pm
Deb+Chris

Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot
Most NZ houses don't require you to house your washing machine under the kitchen worktop, hence the prevalence of top-loaders. Not as entertaining for the kiddies as a front-loader though...

The quality of the newer F&P washers is excellent - no gearbox to wear out, easily serviced pump (via front access panel) if you get a blockage, good implementation of electronics too. They even use less water than a front-loader.
Yes but they don't actually wash clothes very well do they? in fact, they mangle the living daylights out of them!

Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:53 pm
Banned

Yeah, right, whatever. If it comes from NZ it must be bad. Nothing made here is any good (despite numerous export awards for F&P products). Shoes, clothes, white goods, the weather, houses, it's all bad...

If it wasn't so infantile, it would be amusing.

Funny that most UK clothes and shoes come from the same places NZ ones do... which is China. Funny that most UK appliances come from Taiwan, China, or Malaysia (just like NZ ones do).

Anyway... for the record... NZ washing machines do not mangle clothes. They wash just fine. If you don't believe me, check out the "Consumer" website (but it will cost you something) - http://www.consumer.org.nz/category....ory=Appliances
Old Mar 16th 2005, 2:05 pm
Deb+Chris

Sorry but I'm laughing my head off here!! I never said everything NZ is bad.. come on.. stop exagerating! your problem is you cannot accept the truth sometimes.. talk about stubborn.. bet you sulk for days!

Top loaders swirl the clothes around and do not shift stubborn stains! FACT! (the ones I used didn't anyway.. and I used about 30 different ones!!!!!!)... front loaders are far superior.. that's not a slag off of NZ.. it's a slag off of top loader washing manglers... sorry, machines!!

Go get yourself a sense of humour will you? maybe you left it in 'crap Scotland'... where you lived for 16 years even though nothing was as good as NZ!!!

Old Mar 16th 2005, 2:10 pm
Deb+Chris

Appologies to Jaffadutch..

Old Mar 16th 2005, 3:11 pm
Jaffadutch

Originally Posted by Deb+Chris
Appologies to Jaffadutch..
Did i start this ?? lol

thankyou all for your advise!! hope they sell the black stuff!!

Old Mar 16th 2005, 3:17 pm
Deb+Chris

Originally Posted by Jaffadutch
Did i start this ?? lol

thankyou all for your advise!! hope they sell the black stuff!!
Yep.. it's there.. but it's expensive and not as good quality as the Irish version.

Old Mar 16th 2005, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

cheekychops is an unknown quantity at this point

Talking about my Irish friend once chatted for at least an hour on the subject. They reckoned the black stuff can taste as good or bad anywhere in the world. They say it is an art form. There is a skill to serving the perfect pint. The temp, the delay in pouring, the head and so on... Can’t recall the conversation in too much detail as I was testing the whiskey

Going back to the initial subject on buying white goods. The Appliance Warehouse, in our experience offered brand new goods with a competitive price. They also have appliances which are rated 2nd's, as they may have a small mark or dent on the casing. We brought goods at almost half the retail prices. The guarantee is reasonable too.

Talking about toploaders. They have advanced greatly in several years. Being able to compare from when we first shopped around and brought in Australia in 2002. Our new one weighs the washing, sets the water level, has a delay timer on and so on. It also plays a distress tune if the load becomes uneven, and when the cycle has finished. The centre piece is short so doesnt damage the clothes and cleans well. Perhaps the combination of a good soap powder is the key factor.

Anyway, no point anyone getting their underwear in a twist. It is all about peronal preference and choice.