Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Buying a UK IP address to have access to the Beeb

Buying a UK IP address to have access to the Beeb

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

jjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nice
Arrow Buying a UK IP address to have access to the Beeb

Hi
I am NOT a big tv watcher, in fact, we don't have a tv with conventional reception in our house. We only watch 'on demand'
I am going through a bit of a panic as to what I'm going to do without some of the BBC's amazing documentaries and its usually good news.
Has anyone set up a UK IP address and watched things that way?
I know it can be done for a small-ish cost but interested in people's experiences.

Ta muchly.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:48 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a UK IP address to have access to the Beeb

Yes sounds like us only BBC worth watching in the UK because of the 6 min advert slots on commercial TV. We use the laptop connected to the TV for vision and sound and view BBC i player via.

http://www.expatshield.com/
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Yes sounds like us only BBC worth watching in the UK because of the 6 min advert slots on commercial TV. We use the laptop connected to the TV for vision and sound and view BBC i player via.

ditto
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

jjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nice

Thanks. I do miss 'just' having the tv on in the background, but i don't miss just watching stuff/trash for the sake of it.
It's lovely to say, there's nothing I want to watch and turn off and read instead. Or go play aerobie in the park since its light til 10pm here (Reigate)...if its not chucking it down with rain!
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:05 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stormer999

would that not take all the download?

sky tv is not bad you get some good documentaries on it in my opinion
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Love30stm, it is a concern that it will take up some download bytes..we'll look out for a generous package and hopefully balance everything, cost and download limit.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
would that not take all the download?

sky tv is not bad you get some good documentaries on it in my opinion
I calculated it. We get 80Gb a month. Have I Got News for You is 385Mb. A couple of programmes a week is not going to bend the balance very much.

Top tip: Save to Windows Media Player not BBC IPlayer Desktop - the latter takes up more MB, seems to be prone to adverts when using ExpatShield, and or lip sync problems, and is deleted automatically by the Beeb after 7 days.

Jan
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I calculated it. We get 80Gb a month. Have I Got News for You is 385Mb. A couple of programmes a week is not going to bend the balance very much.

Top tip: Save to Windows Media Player not BBC IPlayer Desktop - the latter takes up more MB, seems to be prone to adverts when using ExpatShield, and or lip sync problems, and is deleted automatically by the Beeb after 7 days.

Jan
We have 80gb too my daugher watches stuff online already which takes loads

ill stick to good old Sky and getting dvds out but thanks anyway
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by jjsebba
Love30stm, it is a concern that it will take up some download bytes..we'll look out for a generous package and hopefully balance everything, cost and download limit.
Thas ok if you dont have two teenagers that go on youtube and other stuff
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Igloo launches this month, it's a partnership between Sky and TVNZ to offer something that's better than Freeview and not as expensive as Sky.

Channels to be included:

Comedy Central, UKTV, Food TV, BBC World News and BBC Knowledge, MTV Hits, Kidzone24, National Geographic Channel, TVNZ Heartland, Animal Planet and Vibe.

The box is about $200 and it's $25 a month pre paid, no contracts or minimum term.

Although we download all the BBC stuff from the torrents, it's all there, normally takes a few days to appear after being shown in the UK.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjsebba
Thanks. I do miss 'just' having the tv on in the background, but i don't miss just watching stuff/trash for the sake of it.
It's lovely to say, there's nothing I want to watch and turn off and read instead. Or go play aerobie in the park since its light til 10pm here (Reigate)...if its not chucking it down with rain!
Oh may have to have a look at this! I do miss some of the good TV dramas we got in the UK but i have to say I don't miss just having the tv on for the sake of it......I used to be one of those ones who would turn the TV on to have in the background but I quite like that I don't do that anymore as there is so much rubbish on.

I have sky here but have to say that I don't think its that great, not that many channels - and what I tend to do is just record the shows that I do want to watch so I have something decent to watch when I do want to sit down and chill.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:47 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

What you want is known as a proxy service, google it and there are many companies offering the service.