British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Buying a UK IP address to have access to the Beeb (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/buying-uk-ip-address-have-access-beeb-763660/)

jjsebba Jul 2nd 2012 8:05 pm

Buying a UK IP address to have access to the Beeb

Hi
I am NOT a big tv watcher, in fact, we don't have a tv with conventional reception in our house. We only watch 'on demand'
I am going through a bit of a panic as to what I'm going to do without some of the BBC's amazing documentaries and its usually good news.
Has anyone set up a UK IP address and watched things that way?
I know it can be done for a small-ish cost but interested in people's experiences.

Ta muchly.

Stormer999 Jul 2nd 2012 8:48 pm

Re: Buying a UK IP address to have access to the Beeb

Yes sounds like us only BBC worth watching in the UK because of the 6 min advert slots on commercial TV. We use the laptop connected to the TV for vision and sound and view BBC i player via.

http://www.expatshield.com/

Jan n Neil Jul 2nd 2012 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 10151034)
Yes sounds like us only BBC worth watching in the UK because of the 6 min advert slots on commercial TV. We use the laptop connected to the TV for vision and sound and view BBC i player via.

ditto :thumbsup:

jjsebba Jul 2nd 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks. I do miss 'just' having the tv on in the background, but i don't miss just watching stuff/trash for the sake of it.
It's lovely to say, there's nothing I want to watch and turn off and read instead. Or go play aerobie in the park since its light til 10pm here (Reigate)...if its not chucking it down with rain!

love30stm Jul 2nd 2012 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 10151034)

would that not take all the download?

sky tv is not bad you get some good documentaries on it in my opinion

jjsebba Jul 2nd 2012 9:08 pm

Love30stm, it is a concern that it will take up some download bytes..we'll look out for a generous package and hopefully balance everything, cost and download limit.

Jan n Neil Jul 2nd 2012 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10151058)
would that not take all the download?

sky tv is not bad you get some good documentaries on it in my opinion

I calculated it. We get 80Gb a month. Have I Got News for You is 385Mb. A couple of programmes a week is not going to bend the balance very much.

Top tip: Save to Windows Media Player not BBC IPlayer Desktop - the latter takes up more MB, seems to be prone to adverts when using ExpatShield, and or lip sync problems, and is deleted automatically by the Beeb after 7 days.

Jan

love30stm Jul 2nd 2012 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 10151064)
I calculated it. We get 80Gb a month. Have I Got News for You is 385Mb. A couple of programmes a week is not going to bend the balance very much.

Top tip: Save to Windows Media Player not BBC IPlayer Desktop - the latter takes up more MB, seems to be prone to adverts when using ExpatShield, and or lip sync problems, and is deleted automatically by the Beeb after 7 days.

Jan

We have 80gb too my daugher watches stuff online already which takes loads :lol:

ill stick to good old Sky and getting dvds out but thanks anyway ;)

love30stm Jul 2nd 2012 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by jjsebba (Post 10151062)
Love30stm, it is a concern that it will take up some download bytes..we'll look out for a generous package and hopefully balance everything, cost and download limit.

Thas ok if you dont have two teenagers that go on youtube and other stuff :lol:

barnsleymat Jul 2nd 2012 11:12 pm

Igloo launches this month, it's a partnership between Sky and TVNZ to offer something that's better than Freeview and not as expensive as Sky.

Channels to be included:

Comedy Central, UKTV, Food TV, BBC World News and BBC Knowledge, MTV Hits, Kidzone24, National Geographic Channel, TVNZ Heartland, Animal Planet and Vibe.

The box is about $200 and it's $25 a month pre paid, no contracts or minimum term.

Although we download all the BBC stuff from the torrents, it's all there, normally takes a few days to appear after being shown in the UK.

Caz8NZ Jul 2nd 2012 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by jjsebba (Post 10151056)
Thanks. I do miss 'just' having the tv on in the background, but i don't miss just watching stuff/trash for the sake of it.
It's lovely to say, there's nothing I want to watch and turn off and read instead. Or go play aerobie in the park since its light til 10pm here (Reigate)...if its not chucking it down with rain!

Oh may have to have a look at this! I do miss some of the good TV dramas we got in the UK but i have to say I don't miss just having the tv on for the sake of it......I used to be one of those ones who would turn the TV on to have in the background but I quite like that I don't do that anymore as there is so much rubbish on.

I have sky here but have to say that I don't think its that great, not that many channels - and what I tend to do is just record the shows that I do want to watch so I have something decent to watch when I do want to sit down and chill.

simonsi Jul 2nd 2012 11:47 pm

What you want is known as a proxy service, google it and there are many companies offering the service.