Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Buying stuff from Argos

Buying stuff from Argos

Old Jul 4th 2008, 4:57 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying stuff from Argos

If I want to buy an MP3 player from Argos in the UK and pay £60 (cos it is down from £110) for it instead of $299 which Dick Smith Electronics sells it for:

1. Do I have to pay customs duty on it in any way? If so, how much?
2. Would the radio function work?

I know these are dumb questions but fwiw i planned to have it deliver it to a friend in London and then ask said friend to send it on to me. I think i will ask her to open the pack and to check it works. If it is new I can pay duty i guess, not completely adverse to it if i have to, but i would rather not...

I realise it is not a great thing to do as the warranty wouldnt be valid but it is a really good deal

Oh, and if anyone wanted to know, it is this one. It looks the same....maybe it isn't though??

Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...%7C9555267.htm

Dick Smith
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...uct/View/A3775

Thanks for any help
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:57 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying stuff from Argos

Well if you do then I didn't when I just bought a new mobile online in the Uk and had it delivered to my mums and she posted it out to me. I have more stuff on the way. Not had any problems and I have done it a few times now with various items.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:29 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

There's no reason for the radio not to work.
You should be fine on the tax as you'll pay VAT , get the receipt sent with it.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

when your friend post it get them to mark it as a present on the customs form and put a nominal value $10

post wise I use signed for air delivery not recorded delivery (too expensive)