Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Buying/selling property in NZ

Buying/selling property in NZ

Old Apr 6th 2014, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying/selling property in NZ

This is a general enquiry to elicit information, but in the current climate, possibly more suited to outside Auckland.

As a buyer:
Where would you look to find out which properties are for sale?
Do you like open homes or prefer to have a private appointment to view?
If at a viewing/open home, would you ask the agent if they have any other properties in the area?
Would you prefer a private sale or via an agency or not really bothered?

As a seller:
Would you sell privately or via an agent?
Would you have open homes or viewings by appointment only?
Would you use printed media as well as internet for marketing?

For both buyers and sellers:
Do you understand the different methods of sales e.g auction/tender/PBN etc?
Do you have a preference for method of sale?
Old Apr 6th 2014, 11:16 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying/selling property in NZ

Originally Posted by cappuccino
This is a general enquiry to elicit information, but in the current climate, possibly more suited to outside Auckland.

As a buyer:
Where would you look to find out which properties are for sale? Trademe/Opentoview/Agents site

If at a viewing/open home, would you ask the agent if they have any other properties in the area? Doesn't bother me, but if open home and I am interested then possible a private 2nd viewing, depends on time lines/ Yes

Would you prefer a private sale or via an agency or not really bothered? Again not bothered

As a seller:
Would you sell privately or via an agent? We sold via an agent on a fixed fee as felt there are two many pit falls if you really don't know what you are doing
Would you have open homes or viewings by appointment only? Both
Would you use printed media as well as internet for marketing?, most people look at trademe, depends on budget

Do you understand the different methods of sales e.g auction/tender/PBN etc? Getting there
Do you have a preference for method of sale? Would prefer to have a set price to negotiate from
Old Apr 7th 2014, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks MrsF - anybody else got thoughts on buying and selling property in NZ?
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when we were looking from the UK we used to spend a lot of time on Open2View and RealEstate,co.nz but don't think to look there now

As a local / casual browser I would probably look at the local paper and Property Press for the area I was interested in: http://www.propertypress.co.nz/

I like open homes as I like the anonymity you can nip in unannounced and feel no obligation to coo and make appreciative noises about the décor.

We haven't asked an agent for other properties on their books.

I understand the different selling processes and of them all I would much rather have a fixed or a guide price / offers over $x - I have never been to an auction and not likely to do so.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Bought in Chch 1 year ago. Searched on Trademe. Refused point blank to look at any properties that were an auction. Went to an open home that wasn't for us, met a helpful real estate agent listened to our requirements and found us our home. Looked up the valuation, took a punt on a cheeky offer. Preferred a private viewing. Cheers.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 10:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by cappuccino
As a buyer:
Where would you look to find out which properties are for sale?
In the local house sale papers

Open homes Been here too long obviously.

If at a viewing/open home, would you ask the agent if they have any other properties in the area?
That would depend on what I thought of the agent. They can be far too pushy. Equally, they may just have an insider deal in mind.
Would you prefer a private sale or via an agency or not really bothered?
Private TBH

As a seller:
Would you sell privately or via an agent?
Prefer private. I've seen the blighters in action in more than one way

Would you have open homes or viewings by appointment only?
I would prefer private but you know, it can seem exclusive . I think the Kiwi way is 'open home' & all the horrible nosiness that goes with that - and yes , I think we've all seen that. Cruise for a Sat/Sun afternoon out, but hey, it may attract a buyer.

Would you use printed media as well as internet for marketing?
No. Unless you mean the property mags then yes. More than the internet in that case.

Do you understand the different methods of sales e.g auction/tender/PBN etc?
Yes.

Do you have a preference for method of sale?
Yes. A guide price or a price guide. Anything else doe my head in as a waste of my time. After all , we all know what our ow sale or buy price is. Just say so.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 10:34 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Will probably just phone the estate agent for a valuation. Agree on what's what and what it's going to cost. I understand 3.5% of the valuation is the standard estate agents fee.

Won't really know until it's time to sell the house which won't be happening anytime soon.

Don't forget I live in regional New Zealand so I believe I will be reliant getting it done i.e. marketed properly. Personally I can't be faffing around trying to sell it ourselves i.e. TradeMe listing etc. Good luck to those who've done it but IMO it's a recipe for getting screwed by your buyer as they know you don't have an agent's fee to pay.

It's not an Auckland house that is likely to sell itself. (Although I don't believe that is really the case. My sister in law lives on the North Shore of Auckland. They moved to another district of the North Shore last year. It took two estate agents and three price drops to get their house sold.)

Do I understand the various methods of selling i.e. auction, tender, PBN etc. Not really. I kinda get auctions from property shows I've seen. Like I've already stated, for better or worse we will be reliant on the estate agent. On account of the fact that he already sold the house. To us. I'm prepared to be realistic as well.

That means we bought a house in Wanganui, therefore when the time comes we will have to sell a house in Wanganui. Well, it's not Knightsbridge in London is it ? It won't increase in value like a house would have done where we come from in the South East of England (not Knightsbridge btw). I hope it will have increased in value over the years but as I've already said, I accept I'm going to have to be regionally realistic. Ultimately, on leaving NZ, break even is no loss.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Apr 7th 2014 at 10:53 am. Reason: one more paragraph
Old Apr 7th 2014, 10:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Actually. That makes good sense.

The one that sold it before will sell it again . I also live rural/ semi rural NZ. The house comes with an NZ knowledge.