Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

buying a second hand car

buying a second hand car

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

jaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nice
Default buying a second hand car

Hi, does anyone have any words of wisdom for buying a second hand car in auckland????
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 5:46 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying a second hand car

Originally Posted by jaynepc View Post
Hi, does anyone have any words of wisdom for buying a second hand car in auckland????
Trademe, if you have suitable knowledge. Try to avoid the auctions, you will bag a bargain there but you could also buy a money pit and dealers if you have the money. Personally, I would buy from Trademe and have it inspected for piece of mind. Also, if you want it cheap to run, buy Japanese as parts are cheaper than European cars.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sirplug View Post
Trademe, if you have suitable knowledge. Try to avoid the auctions, you will bag a bargain there but you could also buy a money pit and dealers if you have the money. Personally, I would buy from Trademe and have it inspected for piece of mind. Also, if you want it cheap to run, buy Japanese as parts are cheaper than European cars.
i brought our 4x4x at easy auctions nr auckland when like a dream passed WOF first time nothing wrong with auctions some of them you can test drive as i did
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

jaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nice

Originally Posted by sirplug View Post
Hey, thanks for that.....always good to hear what others have done
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by concretepump View Post
i brought our 4x4x at easy auctions nr auckland when like a dream passed WOF first time nothing wrong with auctions some of them you can test drive as i did
Thanks for advice!!!
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:07 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I like auctions but you need to go in with you eyes open and sensible hat on .

TradeMe is good but who you buy from is as important as the vehicle.

Dealers are expensive and don't always offer you much protection for the premium.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:11 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
I like auctions but you need to go in with you eyes open and sensible hat on .
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

thanks guys
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future

We arrive in March......I will head straight to the auctions and seek and ex FLEET car.....they are usually serviced regulary and reliable.....well thats the case in the uk and usa anyway........
Old Dec 30th 2010, 2:20 am
Just Joined

RickAlbany is an unknown quantity at this point

a few ideas on here already but I think the most important thing is what budget you have as this will reflect on where to look be it trademe, auctions or a dealer. There is also the Ellerslie car fair every Sunday and other smaller car fairs around auckland.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

EinsteinJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the market price on www.Trademe.co.nz. for online auction and BUY NOW, OR you can go to www.Turners.co.nz for life auction. Or you can go to Sunday car market at Hellerslie racecourse if you live in Auckland.

Japanese cars is cheap for maintenance but sometimes the price is higher than european cars, especially for TOYOTA.

Last time i bought a 2nd hand car from Trademe. Then i visit and try the car. After i sense there is no problem and i like the car, i then purchased a licence and registration history report with www.carjam.co.nz.

By using this report i will know the owner history, any failing flag on Warrant of Fitness (WOF), odometer and financial status of the cars.

If you really do not know about engine, you can ask an expert from New Zealand AA to give you a full report of the car.

Hope this help.....2nd hand car in New Zealand is really really cheap . Good Luck
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Family visiting from the UK for 3 months just bought a car from Turners Auctions.

OH (mechanic by trade) took them to check the cars out the day before the auction. They test drove about ten cars then went back to the auction the next day and are very happy with the car.

Sorry can't tell you the brand etc. I am a gal and I know it is a white station wagon. They paid $5000 for 2006 model of something.