British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Buying A House - How?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/buying-house-how-718664/)

sirplug May 28th 2011 1:07 am

Buying A House - How??

OK, stupid question, I know....We've made an offer on a place and it's been accepted. What's next. I know I need a solicitor, house valuation and building inspection but what else. Also, any recommendations and idea of what I'm supposed to be paying for each service?
The house is on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula.

Thanks in advance:thumbsup::wub:

Paul

Genesis May 28th 2011 4:14 am

Re: Buying A House - How??

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 9392626)
OK, stupid question, I know....We've made an offer on a place and it's been accepted. What's next. I know I need a solicitor, house valuation and building inspection but what else. Also, any recommendations and idea of what I'm supposed to be paying for each service?

Paul

About $800 ish for the solicitor, valuation should be around $300ish and the building inspection could be anywhere from $200-$800ish.. If you want a written one that will obviously be towards the higher figure. I would recommend that option.

Phone around, try to get a recommendation from someone who is NOT a realtor..like I did. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is all very quick, painless and easy unless of course you have a shite brief like I did AND an unscrupulous estate agent. I think I should have a nick name like 'lucky' eh? I paid full asking for a 4 bed only to find out one of the bedrooms did not 'exist'. It was built out of the envelope. The latter is the type of mistake you make when you rush into things knowing nothing about anything about the country you landed in 4 days previously!!

You should also get a LIM report from your local council. Land Info. memorandum. That will give you the good the bad and the ugly abouty your intended new abode. They are between $300-$400ish. You could also get the wiring checked out...that is apparently a good idea especially if it is an older build. Good luck bro'.

scrubbedexpat094 May 28th 2011 6:00 am

I know a good solicitor in Orewa. PM me if you want details.

cappuccino May 28th 2011 7:39 am

Paul

Congratulations Paul - I hope you made your offer conditional i.e. on satisfactory building inspection/finance/whatever you want so you have a get out clause if you need it.

sirplug May 28th 2011 8:12 am

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 9393048)
Congratulations Paul - I hope you made your offer conditional i.e. on satisfactory building inspection/finance/whatever you want so you have a get out clause if you need it.

Thankyou and yes, learnt that one from a friend who didn't do that!

simonmarkellis May 28th 2011 11:24 am

Paul

Great news... Whangaparaoa a great place... stayed there ourselves in 2006 for our recce... loved it, could picture ourselves living there, but ended up with a job in Wellington and love it here just a s much...

Enjoy!!!

simonsi May 28th 2011 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 9393102)
Thankyou and yes, learnt that one from a friend who didn't do that!

Fab news Paul, you may find the lender will stipulate the type of reports they want so worth checking with them to avoid paying twice. Happy to recommend a solicitor and inspector in needed, we had first rate service from ours and had settled by 9:30 on settlement day! Fingers crossed for a good deal!