Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Buying a House for first time....

Buying a House for first time....

Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a House for first time....

We just got a local builder to have a look around the house we've just bought, he climbed in the loft and had an hour poking around the property, it only cost $30.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
As we've seen, some people have jobs that prevent them from living elsewhere as those jobs simply dont exist in other
areas so that decision is effectively taken away.
But it's undeniably very possible to commute from an hour or more away where it might be cheaper to live. But, people don't do it because it's too far, or I'll have to pay more for petrol and parking, etc, etc, blah, blah ...

People still have the choice to work, but not live in Auckland or London, or wherever.

Originally Posted by Justcol
I watched Neil Armstrong walk on the moon but I don't actually know what it's like to do it...your simply making guesses based on someone else's opinion
Not quite sure what you're Neil Armstrong comparison is all about. It's an odd thing to come up with, albeit tenuously topical

My wife is an Aucklander, her family and friends are Aucklanders, I play Rugby here in London with Aucklanders who have family still in Auckland. I have taken plenty of honest opinions from people who work in a range of sectors, of a wide range of ages, and in different situations in terms of relationship (married/co-habiting or not), kids/no kids, etc. I'm also in touch with people who have lived in and moved away from Auckland and have sought their reasons for moving away.

I'm satisfied that I'm as well informed about Auckland as I possibly can be.

I'm under no illusion that it's cheap, but finding things relatively expensive isn't going to come as a surprise. IT'S A CITY ...
Old Sep 1st 2012, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
We just got a local builder to have a look around the house we've just bought, he climbed in the loft and had an hour poking around the property, it only cost $30.
Building inspections are done with a fine tooth comb. I have just read one and it is 14 pages long.

Last edited by Bellasmum; Sep 1st 2012 at 12:41 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 3:28 am
Just Joined

elasticated17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well good news - we were pre approved for a mortgage. Just need to find the right house now!
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 3:56 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Another charmer, you'll slot right in and feel right at home in NZ I am sure.
Originally Posted by Tommy Luck
That's the plan

I thought you understood sarcasm TommyLuck.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 3rd 2012 at 9:55 pm. Reason: qwoties
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 4:55 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elasticated17
Well good news - we were pre approved for a mortgage. Just need to find the right house now!
thats great, I would highly recommend you pay the extra and get a full building inspection done, our builders report was 32 pages long, with photo's to help with understanding what he was talking about. very thorough.
Our mortgage valuation report was also quite long, 21 page and again had photo's to help with explanation of report. At the end of the day you are investing a lot of money and you want to make sure you have as much information on it before you finally agree to take it on. (IMHO)
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
thats great, I would highly recommend you pay the extra and get a full building inspection done, our builders report was 32 pages long, with photo's to help with understanding what he was talking about. very thorough.
Our mortgage valuation report was also quite long, 21 page and again had photo's to help with explanation of report. At the end of the day you are investing a lot of money and you want to make sure you have as much information on it before you finally agree to take it on. (IMHO)
I couldn't agree more. It will also ensure any additions, renovations have met building requirements etc.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Another charmer, you'll slot right in and feel right at home in NZ I am sure.

Tommy Luck
That's the plan

I thought you understood sarcasm TommyLuck.
What do you mean?

Of course I intend to "slot right in and feel right at home".
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Builders reports are expensive, around $400-$500 I think. You would need to be a serious bidder (and wise) to get one prior to an auction.
What other sorts of bidders are there at an auction?
If you buy a property (auction or otherwise) without being reassured of its build quality then I wish you the best of british luck. Its a huge risk, especially given the well known problems with NZ housing.

Personally, I think auctions are fraught with danger.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck

It's a personal thing, but I'm happy to pay more so that I'm close enough to cycle to work, but far enough out that the cycle is enough to break in to a sweat (9 miles / 14.5 kms, each way), therefore giving me oppotunity to exercise. I think it's a fair compromise.

Rant over.
Its a very personal thing, because I would never ever get on a bike in NZ as I know that every second car is either unroadworthy, driven by a boy racer, or a drunk,drugged or txting driver. No thank you.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Browner_
Its a very personal thing, because I would never ever get on a bike in NZ as I know that every second car is either unroadworthy, driven by a boy racer, or a drunk,drugged or txting driver. No thank you.
Roughly 4 in 10 cars in London have a problem with the car (lack of MOT, dodgy lights, dodgy tyres) and/or the driver (lack of insurance, no license, disqualified, drunk, drugs).

As for texting drivers, if you think that problem is ANY better here you are very much mistaken. In fact I reckon I see someone actually talking on the phone on my daily cycling commute, usually in and around red lights. Despite the risk of a £60 fine and 3 points on their license.

Given that the ppopulationof the whole of New Zealand is half that of the city that I regularly cycle in, I'm guessing that the risks are higher here.

To date, I've have more trouble with pedestrians, not paying attention to the road usually listening to music and/or playing with their phone, than I do with motorists. Since May 2009 I've cycled about 15,000 miles/24,000km through London.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Roughly 4 in 10 cars in London have a problem with the car (lack of MOT, dodgy lights, dodgy tyres) and/or the driver (lack of insurance, no license, disqualified, drunk, drugs).

As for texting drivers, if you think that problem is ANY better here you are very much mistaken. In fact I reckon I see someone actually talking on the phone on my daily cycling commute, usually in and around red lights. Despite the risk of a £60 fine and 3 points on their license.

Given that the ppopulationof the whole of New Zealand is half that of the city that I regularly cycle in, I'm guessing that the risks are higher here.

To date, I've have more trouble with pedestrians, not paying attention to the road usually listening to music and/or playing with their phone, than I do with motorists. Since May 2009 I've cycled about 15,000 miles/24,000km through London.
Having plenty of experience commuting by bike in both London and Auckland, I can assure you the road safety situation is damn site worse in the latter.

Back on topic, houses are ridiculously expensive in Auckland, but unfortunately that's where the most work is, and seemingly where high percentage of migrants migrate to. So seems likely to stay that way.

Auckland's % of NZ popn is a decidingly unhealthy one, certainly more than say London/UK, Sydney/Australia.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Browner_
What other sorts of bidders are there at an auction?
If you buy a property (auction or otherwise) without being reassured of its build quality then I wish you the best of british luck. Its a huge risk, especially given the well known problems with NZ housing.

Personally, I think auctions are fraught with danger.
We have bought two houses at auction and very happy with both. My point was if you intend to bid at auction you need to have had a builders report etc, including your pre approved finance arranged prior to auction day, and due to the cost involved you would only do that if you were a serious bidder.

HTH

Last edited by Bellasmum; Sep 4th 2012 at 11:00 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Having plenty of experience commuting by bike in both London and Auckland, I can assure you the road safety situation is damn site worse in the latter.
Seriously? Wow.

I've cycled in a few countries, I think being a sensible cyclist also helps.

We'll see.