Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Buying a car when we arrive?

Buying a car when we arrive?

Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:36 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Buying a car when we arrive?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Thank you all, liking the Mitsubishi Chariot thing, do they come in manual and any colour other than white?!

Pink perchance?

I have a Mitsubishi RVR(blue ,no pink here) ,it is almost identical to a chariot in size and layout ,however it is not a people carrier only a very large 4 seater ,although it is excellent on fuel and space it is not what I would choose for a family (just the 2 of us).As a mechanic (I am) I would go for the Honda Oddessy or a Toyota Lucida MPV(both bulletproof) .As for the auctions ,dont go there unless you know what you are doing.My advice as a mechanic and you can take it or choose to do other is to rent for a month as we did (cheaper monthly) then look around whilst you are getting over the jetlag and orientating yourselves.Dont jump in and buy too soon you may be misled and buy something you did not really want.We rented from ACE car Rentals ,did it on the internet got a bargain just $520 for the month ,just a toyota corolla but they have larger for hire.Dont jump in the fire too soon and buy upon impulse thinking you have to have a car.Something else to ponder here ,you do NOT have to have insurance.If you buy a Diesel you get cheaper fuel but you have to pay a Road user charge ,that means you have to buy mileage which is a tax on diesel cars as the fuel is cheaper to get at the pumps but inevitably it works out the same almost as petrol.Road tax here is known as Rego fees and you have to have the car tested 2 times a year once it reaches 6yrs old .Dont want to put you of just help you with some info you dont get from the NZ IS

Hope this helps some more for you .Ray

Last edited by cherry; Mar 26th 2007 at 9:59 am.