Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in Wellington

Buying a car in Wellington

Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:19 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Question Buying a car in Wellington

Okey dokey!

So! Tomorrow morning bright and breezy we're off to buy a car.

Here's the thing... we have about NZ$14,000 in cash to buy one.

Do prices include GST?

Do plates change (like they do in the US, but not like they do in the UK)?

Is there a registration fee?

How much can we be expected to get off the price, for paying cash? ... if we haggle hard enough?

Anything else?

Thanks all.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in Wellington

Originally Posted by Maz
Okey dokey!

So! Tomorrow morning bright and breezy we're off to buy a car.

Here's the thing... we have about NZ$14,000 in cash to buy one.

Do prices include GST?

Do plates change (like they do in the US, but not like they do in the UK)?

Is there a registration fee?

How much can we be expected to get off the price, for paying cash? ... if we haggle hard enough?

Anything else?

Thanks all.
Well hello again, fancy meeting you here, feeling refreshed are we? Cash buyers i found run the place. The car we got i told him i was only prepared to pay 'blah' and i wanted a three year warranty thrown in with it and two minutes later he said deal and that was all we paid. Good chance you'll get the car that day as well...

Si
Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:33 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Well hello again, fancy meeting you here, feeling refreshed are we? Cash buyers i found run the place. The car we got i told him i was only prepared to pay 'blah' and i wanted a three year warranty thrown in with it and two minutes later he said deal and that was all we paid. Good chance you'll get the car that day as well...

Si
Sweet! Thanks Simon! Are automatics or manuals more prevalent? Personally I've always preferred a manual as I feel more in control (story of my life ha ha ha ha ha ok that's enough ha has ) but I gather automatic - like in the US - might have a higher resale value as it's what people are more used to, and use more, hills being the norm here.

OK I really am off to bo-bos now.

Nighty-night!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Hell yeah! You only ever pay 80% of the original quote. I just didn't know it at the time!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:53 am
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by danny.f
Hell yeah! You only ever pay 80% of the original quote. I just didn't know it at the time!
It's know fact that most migrants pay two much for there first cars. So try not to let on that you've only just arrived. you may be ale to bargin harder
Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jac&Adie
It's know fact that most migrants pay two much for there first cars. So try not to let on that you've only just arrived. you may be ale to bargin harder
Good point. Really is. Get sunburnt first,and tell them this wind is f**k all.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:29 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz
Sweet! Thanks Simon! Are automatics or manuals more prevalent? Personally I've always preferred a manual as I feel more in control (story of my life ha ha ha ha ha ok that's enough ha has ) but I gather automatic - like in the US - might have a higher resale value as it's what people are more used to, and use more, hills being the norm here.

OK I really am off to bo-bos now.

Nighty-night!
Get an automatic, too many traffic lights in Wellington to be arsed about changing up and down gears.

Manuals are more for the boy racers
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Get an automatic, too many traffic lights in Wellington to be arsed about changing up and down gears.

I must be a bit of a boy racer then! I've only stalled once on all the hills in 5 months.
To be honest Maz, I was worried about losing the ability to drive a manual if I bought an automatic. Our hire car was an automatic and I soon got used to it. One garage tried to tell us only automatic cars were available in NZ but he was soon proved wrong. I think you may be right about their re-sale value being higher.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:07 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan

Excellent - I'm a boy racer!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
With a sat nav!!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 7:30 pm
Maz

Thanks everyone! As much as I love manuals, I think automatic is the way to go. It was really flat where I last lived (boy does it ever feel odd saying that!) in Illinois, and I had a manual for my penultimate car, but after I crashed that I got an automatic as I knew we'd be leaving, and the resale value was higher.

We also had an automatic when we were over in April. I think it probably is the way to go. I just don't want to 'forget' how to drive a manual!

80% of the listed price. Okey dokey, that'll be where we'll start. Or maybe 75% with the awful exchange rate we encountered yesterday!

Originally Posted by karonious
With a sat nav!!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Welly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really nice

[QUOTE=Maz;5418266]Thanks everyone! As much as I love manuals, I think automatic is the way to go. It was really flat where I last lived (boy does it ever feel odd saying that!) in Illinois, and I had a manual for my penultimate car, but after I crashed that I got an automatic as I knew we'd be leaving, and the resale value was higher.

We also had an automatic when we were over in April. I think it probably is the way to go. I just don't want to 'forget' how to drive a manual!

80% of the listed price. Okey dokey, that'll be where we'll start. Or maybe 75% with the awful exchange rate we encountered yesterday!

Hi Maz

We have bought an automatic and I thought I would only want to have a manual as that is what I have always driven for the last 21 years. It really is much easier with all the hills here. I don't think you really forget how to drive a manual, my Dad manages to switch over OK and he is in his 60's and has had an automatic for at least the last 15 years.

Good Luck car hunting and have a good first day in Welly. At least it has stopped raining!!!
Old Oct 13th 2007, 3:54 am
Maz

It was lovely out today! Bit of a breeze, but who cares? Nothing we've not encountered before.

Spent hours going around dealerships, haggling on prices. Ended up with a rather nice Honda CRV Sport.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maz
It was lovely out today! Bit of a breeze, but who cares? Nothing we've not encountered before.

Spent hours going around dealerships, haggling on prices. Ended up with a rather nice Honda CRV Sport.
Very nice!! Is there enough room for your surf board?
Old Oct 13th 2007, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Very nice!! Is there enough room for your surf board?
....who's meeting up tomorrow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.