Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Buying a car before leaving.

Buying a car before leaving.

Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying a car before leaving.

Originally Posted by waynepfry
Hiya Am Loolah,
We then went to Turners car Auction and bought a second hand Japanese import for 1700 pounds (never ever bought a second hand car in my life) and its Brill , you book a man from a telephone inside Turners who comes and checks the car and if all is ok you bid for the car in the Auction a piece of cake ,pay for it register it all there and then drive it away. we then took it to a garage who drained all the pipes ,filters checked everything and gave it the full works for 70 quid and it is Brill(Honda Odyssey) 7 seats.

Jane

Yikes That is about $4900. We brought our Odessey two years ago for $14,000. And that was the price after our trade-in and a so called discount :scared: Oh well. Selling it soon so will have to go to Turners for the next car!
Old Sep 19th 2006, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jude J
Yikes That is about $4900. We brought our Odessey two years ago for $14,000. And that was the price after our trade-in and a so called discount :scared: Oh well. Selling it soon so will have to go to Turners for the next car!
Sorry Jude well spotted,thats what we put on the visa, i forgot about the other two cards we used
all together it was $6000 and we thought it was a bargain, its 9 years old though
Jane
Old Sep 19th 2006, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by waynepfry
Sorry Jude well spotted,thats what we put on the visa, i forgot about the other two cards we used
all together it was $6000 and we thought it was a bargain, its 9 years old though
Jane
still a bargain though ours is about that age i think!
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
still a bargain though ours is about that age i think!

Can anyone recommend a good place in Wellington to get a decent 2 litre thing with massive exhausts and stupidly loud stereos? Or just a car will do!
Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

We're buying new car so no need to see it - not like buying second hand - we know what the cars like we've seen them in the UK garage so no problems. Also cos having house built we know what we're getting and we've done loads of research and been to NZ twice to sort things out.

Makes life easier knowing things are planned in NZ, just got to get sorted this end for packers coming on 5th oct!!
Old Sep 19th 2006, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

leedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by danny.f
Can anyone recommend a good place in Wellington to get a decent 2 litre thing with massive exhausts and stupidly loud stereos? Or just a car will do!
Danny,
If those are your requirements, you'll be spolit for choice
Laurence
Old Sep 19th 2006, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

I am emigrating on 1st January to Cch, the genuinejapimports link mentioned previously is in Auckland, so i arranged a import of a Honda Oddysey 1999 $9600 56K km with a similar agency in Cch. Since my order i have been reading about all the Odometer clocking and fraud in past NZ Jap imports however, so i am fearing the worse, we will see. All being well it should be at the airport when i arrive , ready to go. Maybe i regret ordering the car now, it seemed a good idea after reading about good experiences with genuinejapimports by other migrants. Did you all know that Jap import radios need a "band resizer" fitted onto the antenna cable to get the full bandwidth ?
Old Sep 19th 2006, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
I am emigrating on 1st January to Cch, the genuinejapimports link mentioned previously is in Auckland, so i arranged a import of a Honda Oddysey 1999 $9600 56K km with a similar agency in Cch. Since my order i have been reading about all the Odometer clocking and fraud in past NZ Jap imports however, so i am fearing the worse, we will see. All being well it should be at the airport when i arrive , ready to go. Maybe i regret ordering the car now, it seemed a good idea after reading about good experiences with genuinejapimports by other migrants. Did you all know that Jap import radios need a "band resizer" fitted onto the antenna cable to get the full bandwidth ?

The radio thing is no problem, the dealer we brought ours from arranged for it to be done, I dont think it costs much. However, the radion stations here are pretty awful so just make sure you have plenty of cd's in the car! And if your Odessey is like ours, dont play MP3 on it as they get stuck in the machine and you have to do the car version of a re-boot to get them out.
These Odessey's are popular! We have been very happy with ours, just dont need the space anymore, so will be selling it soon.