Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Buying a car before leaving.

Buying a car before leaving.

Old Sep 16th 2006, 2:56 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11
Johno1885 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car before leaving.

Has anybody bought a car before leaving U.K. for collection in N.Z. on arrival or shortly afterwards.
We're dealing with a main dealer for a used car and everything seems to be upfront a above board but I would like to hear if anybody has gone through the same process and had good or bad experiences. Any advise gratefully received.
Johno1885 is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2006, 7:28 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
ianandhelena's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Kingston, Tas
Posts: 2,149
ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car before leaving.

Originally Posted by Johno1885
Has anybody bought a car before leaving U.K. for collection in N.Z. on arrival or shortly afterwards.
We're dealing with a main dealer for a used car and everything seems to be upfront a above board but I would like to hear if anybody has gone through the same process and had good or bad experiences. Any advise gratefully received.
is this a wind-up?
not done it but car dealers are ripoff merchants worldwide so personally i wouldn't recommend that.
are you buying your house as well before you arrive?

Last edited by ianandhelena; Sep 16th 2006 at 7:31 pm. Reason: too kind to car dealers
ianandhelena is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:25 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joshlin's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: our own home, chch
Posts: 812
Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car before leaving.

Originally Posted by Johno1885
Has anybody bought a car before leaving U.K. for collection in N.Z. on arrival or shortly afterwards.
We're dealing with a main dealer for a used car and everything seems to be upfront a above board but I would like to hear if anybody has gone through the same process and had good or bad experiences. Any advise gratefully received.
I really wouldn't think it was necessary - there are so many cars over here to choose from and buying is really easy - I would much rather see what I was getting, shop around for the best price and do a test drive. Rentals are reasonable for the first few days whilst you get your purchase sorted.
Just my opinion
Vicki
Joshlin is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:44 pm
  #4  
Give us a kiss
 
Biddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Peka Peka - Kapiti Coast - Nice!
Posts: 3,140
Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car before leaving.

Buying a car here really is a piece of cake. Plenty to choose from and can be done in 10 mins. I'd wait.
Biddy is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:08 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,038
Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car before leaving.

Johno1885 a small question for you.....

How do you know when a car salesman is lying?

When his lips move.


The whole business of buying and selling a car in NZ is incredibly simple.

Incidentally I have a couple of cars to sell, my trusted Ford Mondeo and Mrs Nice Guy's Toyota Rav, anyone pm me if you want more details.
Nice Guy is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:58 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
jueinnz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: auckland
Posts: 547
jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buying a car before leaving.

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Johno1885 a small question for you.....

How do you know when a car salesman is lying?

When his lips move.


The whole business of buying and selling a car in NZ is incredibly simple.

Incidentally I have a couple of cars to sell, my trusted Ford Mondeo and Mrs Nice Guy's Toyota Rav, anyone pm me if you want more details.
The second hand market is really struggling at the mo, Have you noticed the no. of car places closed down, you should deffinately wait till you get here and then buy one, ask for a deal for cash!!!! bet you will get one!!!!!!!
jueinnz is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2006, 6:40 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11
Johno1885 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a car before leaving.

I take on board what you are saying and know where you are coming from, normally I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing, but I was trying to eliminate the need to drag complete family around dealerships on arrival, the dealership has a good reputation(I believe), the vehicle is virtually brand new with all warranties and a seven month waiting list in N.Z., which is same in U.K..

The dealership is called Honest Johns (no relation) and the salesman is one Arthur Daley!

Thanks for any help.
Johno1885 is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2006, 9:30 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
jueinnz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: auckland
Posts: 547
jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buying a car before leaving.

Originally Posted by Johno1885
I take on board what you are saying and know where you are coming from, normally I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing, but I was trying to eliminate the need to drag complete family around dealerships on arrival, the dealership has a good reputation(I believe), the vehicle is virtually brand new with all warranties and a seven month waiting list in N.Z., which is same in U.K..

The dealership is called Honest Johns (no relation) and the salesman is one Arthur Daley!

Thanks for any help.
I'm curious...what sorta car?
jueinnz is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2006, 11:12 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Methven, NZ
Posts: 82
beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Buying a car before leaving.

Originally Posted by Johno1885
I take on board what you are saying and know where you are coming from, normally I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing, but I was trying to eliminate the need to drag complete family around dealerships on arrival, the dealership has a good reputation(I believe), the vehicle is virtually brand new with all warranties and a seven month waiting list in N.Z., which is same in U.K..

The dealership is called Honest Johns (no relation) and the salesman is one Arthur Daley!

Thanks for any help.
We have sorted a car from the UK, we wanted it available for as soon as we arrive in NZ on 14th Oct as hubby starts work on 16th!!! one less thing for me to sort with 2 kids!
We knew what car we wanted and the colour and spec. Neil had travelled to NZ in June and spoke to the dealer, then when he came back we decided and ordered, paid deposit. We are lucky within week dealer emailed us with photos of our car arrived at showroom. Dealer is also going to open up for us either Sat pm/Sun so we can pick the car up. Can't ask better than that and certainly wouldn't get that service in UK!
We have also bought section and sorted house being built all from UK!! Its all possible as everyone we've spoken to in NZ has been so helpful.
beaudixon is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2006, 10:52 pm
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
jueinnz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: auckland
Posts: 547
jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buying a car before leaving.

Originally Posted by beaudixon
We have sorted a car from the UK, we wanted it available for as soon as we arrive in NZ on 14th Oct as hubby starts work on 16th!!! one less thing for me to sort with 2 kids!
We knew what car we wanted and the colour and spec. Neil had travelled to NZ in June and spoke to the dealer, then when he came back we decided and ordered, paid deposit. We are lucky within week dealer emailed us with photos of our car arrived at showroom. Dealer is also going to open up for us either Sat pm/Sun so we can pick the car up. Can't ask better than that and certainly wouldn't get that service in UK!
We have also bought section and sorted house being built all from UK!! Its all possible as everyone we've spoken to in NZ has been so helpful.

Wow!!!!!!!!!! so organised!
Seems like you are really thinking things though and I think that its great!!!! I wish you good luck and hope you will be happy! I think you will find the less uncertainty you leave open the more relaxed you will feel. Some others could probably learn a lot from you!!!
And before any one else sayes anything remember if you don't like the car or the house or the city you can always change them at a later date, at least you have a steady base to start.

Jue
jueinnz is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2006, 11:02 pm
  #11  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a car before leaving.

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Wow!!!!!!!!!! so organised!
Seems like you are really thinking things though and I think that its great!!!! I wish you good luck and hope you will be happy! I think you will find the less uncertainty you leave open the more relaxed you will feel. Some others could probably learn a lot from you!!!
And before any one else sayes anything remember if you don't like the car or the house or the city you can always change them at a later date, at least you have a steady base to start.

Jue
Your optimism is refreshing and lovely - but would you buy a car or house in your own country without seeing it? I wouldn't - but then I'm quite cynical!

And whilst I totally see your point about changing if it's not worked out - we figure moving our family of 4 kids, taking 3 out of school, the eldest pretty reluctant to miss her GCSE's and leave her friends - we have to make the right choice for city/house/school frist time round. We really can't keep moving them. It just wouldn't be fair! Does anyone else feel like this - or are we being over cautious?
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2006, 11:21 pm
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
 
jueinnz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: auckland
Posts: 547
jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buying a car before leaving.

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Your optimism is refreshing and lovely - but would you buy a car or house in your own country without seeing it? I wouldn't - but then I'm quite cynical!

And whilst I totally see your point about changing if it's not worked out - we figure moving our family of 4 kids, taking 3 out of school, the eldest pretty reluctant to miss her GCSE's and leave her friends - we have to make the right choice for city/house/school frist time round. We really can't keep moving them. It just wouldn't be fair! Does anyone else feel like this - or are we being over cautious?

They are building a house so premusambly they will have what they want, where they want it, I suppose its like all things, you want to make the right chioce 1st time around everyone does, no matter what their circumstances, I do feel that having somewhere to call home immediately will give a stability factor to all concerned.
jueinnz is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2006, 12:41 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Takapuna
Posts: 270
waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying a car before leaving.

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Your optimism is refreshing and lovely - but would you buy a car or house in your own country without seeing it? I wouldn't - but then I'm quite cynical!

And whilst I totally see your point about changing if it's not worked out - we figure moving our family of 4 kids, taking 3 out of school, the eldest pretty reluctant to miss her GCSE's and leave her friends - we have to make the right choice for city/house/school frist time round. We really can't keep moving them. It just wouldn't be fair! Does anyone else feel like this - or are we being over cautious?
Hiya Am Loolah,
We have been in Auckland 3 weeks now and are still loving ever thing here.
The first week was very busy and we sorted a house out very quickly and decided to buy as house prices are rising and need to get on the housing market.
We then went to Turners car Auction and bought a second hand Japanese import for 1700 pounds (never ever bought a second hand car in my life) and its Brill , you book a man from a telephone inside Turners who comes and checks the car and if all is ok you bid for the car in the Auction a piece of cake ,pay for it register it all there and then drive it away. we then took it to a garage who drained all the pipes ,filters checked everything and gave it the full works for 70 quid and it is Brill(Honda Odyssey) 7 seats.
The second week we booked an appointment to look at schools, the schools are Brill here and the staff and teacher are all helpful and very understanding of your needs, we choose the schools that we liked and in the catchment area and they start on the 9th October after the hols here.(yippee)
you can put your children back in the year you think will suit them best ie Evan my middle child was one of the youngest in the school in uk when he started so he was always playing catch up ,so here i have put him back just until the new year when the schools start there first terms again.
my oldest daughter who has just passed her GCSE is going to school just to make some friends for 8 weeks then will start her A level in Feb when school begins .
I wouldn't worry about schools,houses, cars or anything as it is so laid back here and the people are so friendly and will bend over backwards to help.
i hope this helps you ,i had sleepless nights in the uk worrying all the time and wondering if i was doing the right thing ,i haven't been on this site since the first week as we have been so busy (the beaches are wonderful here and there is loads to do .
Any questions please ask and i will try to find things out.
oh i forgot to mention driving in Auckland is busy but nothing compared with London, Leeds, M25,and any other busy town in uk.

Hope this helps
Jane
waynepfry is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:52 am
  #14  
Citizenships collector...
 
urbanproject's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: St Mary's Bay, Auckland (NZ)
Posts: 239
urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buying a car before leaving.

I agree with Jane, Turner's auctions are a pretty neat way of getting a car. I'd never been to a car auction and been to Turners when we were looking for a car. It's pretty exciting and they're very good at keeping the cars. Apparently you can get to the site earlier before the auction and organise a test drive

We got our second hand from a place called Genuine Vehicle Imports who are in Penrose Auckland (www.genuinevehicleimports.co.nz), they were excellent and most of their cars have low mileage.

Jen

Originally Posted by waynepfry
Hiya Am Loolah,
We have been in Auckland 3 weeks now and are still loving ever thing here.
The first week was very busy and we sorted a house out very quickly and decided to buy as house prices are rising and need to get on the housing market.
We then went to Turners car Auction and bought a second hand Japanese import for 1700 pounds (never ever bought a second hand car in my life) and its Brill , you book a man from a telephone inside Turners who comes and checks the car and if all is ok you bid for the car in the Auction a piece of cake ,pay for it register it all there and then drive it away. we then took it to a garage who drained all the pipes ,filters checked everything and gave it the full works for 70 quid and it is Brill(Honda Odyssey) 7 seats.
The second week we booked an appointment to look at schools, the schools are Brill here and the staff and teacher are all helpful and very understanding of your needs, we choose the schools that we liked and in the catchment area and they start on the 9th October after the hols here.(yippee)
you can put your children back in the year you think will suit them best ie Evan my middle child was one of the youngest in the school in uk when he started so he was always playing catch up ,so here i have put him back just until the new year when the schools start there first terms again.
my oldest daughter who has just passed her GCSE is going to school just to make some friends for 8 weeks then will start her A level in Feb when school begins .
I wouldn't worry about schools,houses, cars or anything as it is so laid back here and the people are so friendly and will bend over backwards to help.
i hope this helps you ,i had sleepless nights in the uk worrying all the time and wondering if i was doing the right thing ,i haven't been on this site since the first week as we have been so busy (the beaches are wonderful here and there is loads to do .
Any questions please ask and i will try to find things out.
oh i forgot to mention driving in Auckland is busy but nothing compared with London, Leeds, M25,and any other busy town in uk.

Hope this helps
Jane
urbanproject is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2006, 3:32 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
kwprwn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,631
kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buying a car before leaving.

Like Am Loolah I would never by a car without seeing it or test driving it...cynical too, we bought a card from a second hand dealer, a nice little renault clio (there is only 2 of us) so we did not need a big car, have noticed a lot lately that the smaller engined cars are in short supply (due to increase in petrol, although not as high as UK prices ) people are much more conscious of the price of petrol, as it has gone up 60 cents a litre since last May (when we came on our trip) it did go up to $1.80 last month but has dropped gradually and is now about $1.50 on average per litre

There are some huge gas guzzlers around auckland
kwprwn is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.