British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Buying a car? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/buying-car-696715/)

mwhite1962 Dec 12th 2010 9:50 pm

Buying a car?

Its proberly been asked on here before, but is trade me a reliable source when it comes to buying cars? or would buying from the garage be the safest option ,the garage is proberly the dearer of the two but i dont do repairing cars, i think lifes to short!:unsure:

MnB Dec 12th 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Buying a car?

Originally Posted by mwhite1962 (Post 9036797)
Its proberly been asked on here before, but is trade me a reliable source when it comes to buying cars? or would buying from the garage be the safest option ,the garage is proberly the dearer of the two but i dont do repairing cars, i think lifes to short!:unsure:

We sold our car through Trade me, our buyer bought a full AA check before paying up (done at local dealership garage)....might be worth doing if your unsure about mechanics.
HTH

harrogate girl Dec 12th 2010 10:39 pm

Its proberly been asked on here before, but is trade me a reliable source when it comes to buying cars? or would buying from the garage be the safest option ,the garage is proberly the dearer of the two but i don't do repairing cars, i think lifes to short!:unsure:

I have to say my other half is just like you so buying a car has to come from a garage so we have the fall back. Don't pay the price they want:thumbup: and dont tell them you have just arrived.....:thumbsup:

simonsi Dec 13th 2010 9:51 am

There is quite a lot of consumer protection if you buy the car from a registered dealer. I just had experience of buying a newly imported Estima, it turned out to have a serious problem which the retailer and probably the importer couldn´t have known about (but the last Japanese owner would have for sure). The car was replaced without argument with a better model with slightly less miles and I had a courtesy car while the replacement was sorted.

I´m happy to PM you the Auckland dealers details, I have no connection with them (other than as a happy customer), but I have to say that was the BEST response I have Ever had from ANY car dealer I have ever dealt with - and it was the worst problem I have ever bought a car with - but you needed to drive it for 100Km+ for it to be apparant.

Had that been a private sale I´d have been stuffed!

Jan n Neil Dec 13th 2010 9:53 am

we got a nice little MR2 on trade me at the min if anybody fancies it ?

Neil

removalizer Dec 13th 2010 10:49 am

I am an mot tester by trade and the bar far the most reliable car is the Honda (any model)

mwhite1962 Dec 13th 2010 11:57 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 9037593)
There is quite a lot of consumer protection if you buy the car from a registered dealer. I just had experience of buying a newly imported Estima, it turned out to have a serious problem which the retailer and probably the importer couldn´t have known about (but the last Japanese owner would have for sure). The car was replaced without argument with a better model with slightly less miles and I had a courtesy car while the replacement was sorted.

I´m happy to PM you the Auckland dealers details, I have no connection with them (other than as a happy customer), but I have to say that was the BEST response I have Ever had from ANY car dealer I have ever dealt with - and it was the worst problem I have ever bought a car with - but you needed to drive it for 100Km+ for it to be apparant.

Had that been a private sale I´d have been stuffed!

That would be great if you could PM me, we will be in Rotorua, but if we cannot find anything down there, we can have a day out in Auckland as we have a couple of weeks to kill before OH starts her job.
Many thanks

lisamct Dec 14th 2010 1:53 am

Being a typical girl and knowing nothing about cars so I went for a dealer. If your after an import I would definitely recommend the dealer I used here in Rotorua.
Let me know if your interested and I'll PM you their info (again no affiliation just like to pass on good service..and they make a good cuppa!)

mwhite1962 Dec 14th 2010 3:13 am

Originally Posted by lisamct (Post 9039041)
Being a typical girl and knowing nothing about cars so I went for a dealer. If your after an import I would definitely recommend the dealer I used here in Rotorua.
Let me know if your interested and I'll PM you their info (again no affiliation just like to pass on good service..and they make a good cuppa!)

If you could lisamct that would be great, as far as buying a car goes i really dont think i will have much say in what we buy, it will proberly be economical, reliable and completely the opposite of anything i would buy, so if you could pass on the dealers details etc...

Thanks

rogercruse Dec 18th 2010 12:53 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 9037593)
There is quite a lot of consumer protection if you buy the car from a registered dealer...

Me too!

Being quite tall (6' 5" and not a bend-able as was I once was), simply walked into a dealer and explained that I wanted a car that I could fit in comfortably.

Two hours later (test drive, paperwork, temperamental cash card, etc) and the car was mine. I left them to fully service it, get a fresh WOF and picked it up the following morning to drive from Wellington to Auckland.

OK, I probably should have shopped around and I intend on doing so, but then the time required to do subsequent test drives, etc persuaded me against this course of action.

Car still OK after three months and a happy Toyota Corolla owner.

chubnut Dec 18th 2010 3:54 am

I am selling my car as i am returning to the U.K. Wish i could take it with me as most reliable i have ever owned. see car at
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=340997418

Any viewing possible

dolley Dec 18th 2010 8:02 am

I bought my car from TradeMe when I arrived back in October, and found the guy I was dealing with to be really genuine. Got a real bargain on my car, and it came with a full W.O.F, had just had a service, and had 12 months rego on it.

Just look for the same things you would when buying a car in the UK.

Youll probably find that TradeMe comes up a lot in conversation here.. Its most kiwi's local store. :-)

RickAlbany Dec 21st 2010 2:35 am

if you want a cheap run-around (under $4k) then trade-me for sure, otherwise go to a dealer where you have some security and protection should something go wrong

simonsi Dec 21st 2010 3:46 am

Originally Posted by rickalbanytoyota (Post 9052454)
if you want a cheap run-around (under $4k) then trade-me for sure, otherwise go to a dealer where you have some security and protection should something go wrong

But Trademe will still be a lottery unless you buy from the same guy as dolley used....

dolley Dec 21st 2010 10:57 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 9052524)
But Trademe will still be a lottery unless you buy from the same guy as dolley used....

Theres a lot of genuine people on there.. Just make sure you arrange to view the car first.. Which kind of speaks for itself.