British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Buying a car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/buying-car-678072/)

lisamct Jul 24th 2010 3:00 pm

Buying a car

Just looking a for a bit of advice on the process and likely costs involved in buying a car in NZ. I wont be coming over with a whole load of money as I'm still waiting for a property to sell in the UK but hope to have enough to buy a semi-decent second hand car.
My car at the moment is a 12yr old Jeep (which is only still mine because it was paid off years ago and I claimed it when I split with my ex, also because it only has to do about 30miles/week) so I'm not looking for anything fancy, just reliable and economical.
I've had a quick look online but I'm kinda worried about the prices I'm finding..things like $3500 for a 20yr old Nissan saloon. Is this realistic?
Also am I as likely to be ripped off as a single female car shopping in NZ as I am over here?

isheps84 Jul 24th 2010 5:31 pm

Re: Buying a car

Glad im not the only person thinking this about the prices of cars.
Will take a bit of getting use to paying $3000 for a banger.

Toon_Nut Jul 24th 2010 7:51 pm

Funny this should come up but I've got the opposite dilema, should I take my motor and flog it owa there?

I've got a Nissan Navara 4x4 and it stands me zip, 55 plate and I've had it since new. I'm getting a vehicle with the new job so I no longer need this and I'm not sure if I should take this with me or get rid here?

Autotrader in the Uk have them around £6k ish mark but Autotrader NZ gave them around $25k minimum!

At £1500 shipping is it to good to be true to take it with me and make a canny little profit? Will Kiwis look at an imported UK motor, problems with spare parts etc?
:confused:

simonsi Jul 24th 2010 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut (Post 8725693)
...is it to good to be true to take it with me and make a canny little profit?

Check the rules carefully, if you don't keep it for a min period (1yr???), you'll be liable for GST, possibly on the NZ value (???), worth checking exactly what taxes will apply first...

DennisBergkamp Jul 24th 2010 8:31 pm

On autotrader nz i searched for a car max 7 years old, maximum price 5 k

only ones i found were a Ford Focus from 2004, $4000...but 185,000km on the clock!

Jo-Chris Jul 24th 2010 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by lisamct (Post 8725286)
Just looking a for a bit of advice on the process and likely costs involved in buying a car in NZ. I wont be coming over with a whole load of money as I'm still waiting for a property to sell in the UK but hope to have enough to buy a semi-decent second hand car.
My car at the moment is a 12yr old Jeep (which is only still mine because it was paid off years ago and I claimed it when I split with my ex, also because it only has to do about 30miles/week) so I'm not looking for anything fancy, just reliable and economical.
I've had a quick look online but I'm kinda worried about the prices I'm finding..things like $3500 for a 20yr old Nissan saloon. Is this realistic?
Also am I as likely to be ripped off as a single female car shopping in NZ as I am over here?

Hi,
When we arrived in NZ last year we went to a few car markets in Auckland but decided to buy a car from a garage just because we could go back to the garage if there was anything wrong with the car.There are a few garages about that have cars that are all below the $10k mark. We got a 2002 Honda for $7,500 nothing special but it was a good runner. Cars do seem more expensive over here but running costs are cheaper!!
Good Luck :D

Expat Kiwi Jul 24th 2010 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by lisamct (Post 8725286)

If it worries you because you're a woman buy a car at auction.

sirplug Jul 25th 2010 12:39 am

Second hand cars are expensive and high mileage. People tend to hang onto them for a long time because of this, hence the high km's. If it doesn't sell on Trademe or to a friend, some people then sell at auction. If it doesn't sell on Trademe then there is a reason!
Some dealers sell bulk at auction, just to keep the turnover going. They'll pick the best to keep and dispose of the rest at the likes of Turners. If you find one of these, then you could get something reasonable. Just bear in mind, that you can't really test drive at auction. Turners have a test track on site but you're limited to 50kmh and it's only about 400 metres long.
If you're unsure, buy from a dealer with a warranty.

Good luck!:fingerscrossed:

cleverchap Jul 25th 2010 3:54 am

Turners car auctions are very good, and you can drive the cars before hand to ensure you do not buy a (total) lemon.

I picked up a 1999 Subaru Legacy wagon for $2700 with 6 months warrant and rego, but it does have 200,000 kms on the clock. Dropped it in for a service, new fluids, belts etc.

Total price after full engine and gearbox servicing including parts $3800, not exactly cheap but very reasonable by comparison to what some people pay.

Toon_Nut Jul 25th 2010 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 8725899)
If it worries you because you're a woman buy a car at auction.

It just worries me she's a woman who drives a car, full stop.

I mean come on, whatever will womans lib be letting them do next, fly planes!?

Lisamct, I seen a cracking front loader washing machine on trademe a few days ago, 1200rpm, matching trim, one careful owner, never raced or rallied. Surely that's up your street?!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Toon_Nut Jul 25th 2010 6:44 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8725719)
Check the rules carefully, if you don't keep it for a min period (1yr???), you'll be liable for GST, possibly on the NZ value (???), worth checking exactly what taxes will apply first...

Cracking point Si, any ideas where you seen this, I've googled it but can't seem to find the answer?

Robbie2010 Jul 25th 2010 6:50 am

http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...re+payable.htm

http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...rges+apply.htm

Justcol Jul 25th 2010 7:01 am

There are loads of cars available for under $4k
Older cars here are in much better condition than the uk.
Kiwis think 100k is a barrier but its only 60k in miles which is nothing for
any modern car. I drive a 99 honda accord wagon, i paid $6k for it with 85k
on the clock. I've had it 18 months and its now showing 135K.
It never misses a beat, passes every WOF, is very clean and is a typical nz car.
Its now worth around $5k but it'll last me for years yet so i'll keep it.
Friends have bought subaru wagons for 3500, mitsubishi legnum wagons
and galant sallons for under $4k.
Toyota, honda and mitsubishi are very popular here and dont be worried if its
a model you've never heard of as many uk cars have different names down here.
I know where you can get some nice mazda mx5 convertables for around 4 or 5k

Toon_Nut Jul 25th 2010 7:02 am

Cheers Robbie, doesn't seem worth the hassle does it. It'll only be standing on the drive so when I come to sell it they'll know I've been nowhere in it.

Thanks.

Ps, wanna buy a Navara?!
:lol:

Charismatic Jul 25th 2010 7:24 am

I've got cars for friend at under $1k. Cars here do retain value because:
1. They don’t rust away.
2. We don’t have a middle class population that can afford to buy a new car once every 3 years.
3. Its ridiculously hard and/or impossible to import road cars that are more than a couple of years old (government weirdness about age of vehicle, frontal impact and emissions). It's a real PITA getting them through the legal rubbish.
4. Everyone has to have a car here so demand is high, public transport is pathetic.

As a result cars are expensive but you can pretty much get your money back with a smart buy.