Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

BUYERS DROPPED OUT!

BUYERS DROPPED OUT!

Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice
Default Re: BUYERS DROPPED OUT!

Originally Posted by iain_moore
Sorry to hear about that. Didnt think you were allowed to drop your offer once you had made it - thats what our solicitor told us anyway. I would check into it.
They can do what they want until you exchange contracts

It took us 4 buyers until one of them actually exhanged/completed (we left the house empty for 9 months!) - and similar to you one of them was a couple of days before exchange date that they dropped out!

I feel your pain, fingers crossed for a good buyer next!

Matt
Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
just because the economy is crap dont get pulled into the grab what u can get and run. Money is money it doesnt matter what continent u are on. And Scammers are out there to make $s out of u. They disgust me that people are like this.
I agree and comments like 'if you really wanted to sell' don't help. I would not let anyone shaft me in this way..even in a buyers market. I guess for me the need to get what I had agreed price wise would be the strongest thing on my mind..even if it meant hanging in there. I loathe people who try to capitalise on someone else needs in this way..ie "look I know you are emigrating or whatever..if you want this sale to go through take this 10k kicks in the balls, what do you mean we agreed a price..I was just ******* you around till I really had you by the balls". Disgusting practice. I guess my greed of cash has never been that strong. Being able to sleep at night with a clear mind is cool.

On yer bike mate find another mug. I would NOT budge on price. A price agreed is a price agreed save for any structural work coming up after said price agreement.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 3:21 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I agree and comments like 'if you really wanted to sell' don't help. I would not let anyone shaft me in this way..even in a buyers market. I guess for me the need to get what I had agreed price wise would be the strongest thing on my mind..even if it meant hanging in there. I loathe people who try to capitalise on someone else needs in this way..ie "look I know you are emigrating or whatever..if you want this sale to go through take this 10k kicks in the balls, what do you mean we agreed a price..I was just ******* you around till I really had you by the balls". Disgusting practice. I guess my greed of cash has never been that strong. Being able to sleep at night with a clear mind is cool.

On yer bike mate find another mug. I would NOT budge on price. A price agreed is a price agreed save for any structural work coming up after said price agreement.
Well, it'll be a hollow victory if they're without a buyer this time next year. In the great scheme of things $27K really isn't much, particularly as the NZ market is falling. Punishing the buyer will achieve nothing because it's a buyers market and s/he'll no doubt happily trot off and find another.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Well, it'll be a hollow victory if they're without a buyer this time next year. In the great scheme of things $27K really isn't much, particularly as the NZ market is falling. Punishing the buyer will achieve nothing because it's a buyers market and s/he'll no doubt happily trot off and find another.
I see your point but perchance they can't afford the £10k. There is also the principle..example. I 'bought' my house at an agreed price..the full asking. 48hrs later the muppet who was selling it demanded another $1k. The house to me was worth another 25%...it was way below our budget and I would have paid that much more for it. HOWEVER, once a price is agreed..especially the asking price there will be NO negotation. I told him to stuff it and walked away. I would not have given him another cent. He came back 48hrs later having seen the light. For me there are times when I will happily cut off my nose...not often but once in a while people like this REALLY make you stick you heels in...principles rule strong sometimes.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 5:41 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but Genesis- you as the buyer were in a very different position to someone trying to sell in the UK now.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Yes but Genesis- you as the buyer were in a very different position to someone trying to sell in the UK now.

I know the point I was trying to make is that IMO when a price is set..subject to survey and all being well..in my mind its set in stone. Totally not negotiable. I cannot believe that people can hold a barrel to another's head in such a way. If it meant I had to stay in the Uk well that just may have happened had my buyers tried the same on. I regard myself as very flexible normally..this is one area where I will not flex..when folk want to try to shaft you when you are in a corner. I really do believe like the OP I would not bow to their low life move.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 6:45 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

The 'despicable' vendors who were reviled for making money on their homes are being replaced by the 'despicable' buyers and they're a far worse breed I can tell ye. They're like sharks smelling blood. I quite like it when one of our vendors says that's it - it's off the market - when people are being w*****s.

To the OP - if you had a budget in mind for buying a house 12/6 months ago you can shave it by about 20%. Would that allow you to take the 10k cut? My hubby was talking to a guy who'd just arrived from the UK a few weeks ago and he dropped his house by 40k! I'd say the relative value was probably the same. Even though you want to arrive with as much cash as you possibly can, you'll be buying in the same market as you sold so it's going to even out for you. Where are you heading for? I could get you some up to date stats for the area.......
Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

For me, if the NZ chapter is going to happen in our lives, then it will happen. I'm not going to be forced into doing something just to 'be somewhere' or to 'live the dream' at what ever cost.
Its not just about 10k, its about principles and not letting people push you around, we had already reduced the price by 15k!
Yes and I know its all relative to prices in NZ, but bearing in mind with global recession and slowdown comes lack of jobs and opportunities (thinking of NZ).
We still 'may' have time to sell before our PR expires and if that doesn't happen and if we really want it that much then we will rent our home out.
Who knows what 2009 will hold, don't always believe the hype!

Oh B#####, just received solicitors BILL

Cheers Jads

ps. my 11 year old son is relieved we are not going at the moment, my 16 year old son is mortified, my wife and I, Just Knackered
Old Nov 21st 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=jads;6996326]For me, if the NZ chapter is going to happen in our lives, then it will happen. I'm not going to be forced into doing something just to 'be somewhere' or to 'live the dream' at what ever cost.
Its not just about 10k, its about principles and not letting people push you around, we had already reduced the price by 15k!

Totally and utterly concur with your comments. As you know I feel the same way you do about these twats who tried it on with you. One hopes they too get royaly shafted at some point. They can have no morals and obviously are totally 'me me me people' = scum. Yes I feel very very bitter about selfish people like this. And no no ones ever done it to me.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 9:00 pm
---

Totally disagree.

Things don't happen because they're 'meant to' or because 'what will, will'. Things happen because you plan and push and sacrifice and work for your goals. All my achievements are mine, not destiny's

I would still, in your shoes, take the drop and move on but I know I could do so without bitterness or regret. What you chose for you and your family is up to you- good luck in whatever you decide
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

I had an offer the other day of £65,000 below asking price and estate agents thought it was good.
Estate agent said that they'd seen a smaller but similar house around the corner which was on for £20,000 more than this price they were offering me and said the reason they wanted me to drop my price was because they wanted me to pay for the new kitchen etc that they were planning.
I would have quite happily dropped around £30k but not 65.
Told them to get stuffed as at that price I'd end up with a shed in NZ not an equivalent house for similar price.
I'll probably end up renting it out in the new year as well.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesnye
I had an offer the other day of £65,000 below asking price and estate agents thought it was good.
Estate agent said that they'd seen a smaller but similar house around the corner which was on for £20,000 more than this price they were offering me and said the reason they wanted me to drop my price was because they wanted me to pay for the new kitchen etc that they were planning.
I would have quite happily dropped around £30k but not 65.
Told them to get stuffed as at that price I'd end up with a shed in NZ not an equivalent house for similar price.
I'll probably end up renting it out in the new year as well.
won't bore you with problems we're having selling property at mo.[ Not our own home]
Have become so totally fed up at the comedy merchants /property developers and their weird and wonderful offers that we've seriously looked into the idea of renting.
If we do get PR granted and the property market is still in the doldrums, we will rent out our family home- partially furnished or not. The rent we get will be tax free in NZ if the 4 years tax exemption on UK income for Brit immigrants remains.

Even if you need a NZ mortgage , the tax free rent from your house could pay your mortgage +. Eventually things will sort themselves out- your house will increase in value more in UK than NZ so when it does finally sell it will have created more for you to pay off NZ mortgage!

Positive vibes over the Cyber Waves
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:34 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Even if you need a NZ mortgage , the tax free rent from your house could pay your mortgage +. Eventually things will sort themselves out- your house will increase in value more in UK than NZ so when it does finally sell it will have created more for you to pay off NZ mortgage!
Ummm not sure about 'things sorting themselves out....'. A recent (this week) report claims house prices in NZ are not dropping nearly as fast as they are in UK (showed increases in 4 out of 12 regions, and an overall drop of a % or 2 over the last year). Add to this that Kiwi’s are slightly less exposed to personal debt that the UK , and less of their net worth is in houses and so whilst I’m no expert, I wouldn’t hold your breath for UK house prices to outstrip NZ house prices certainly in the near to medium term.

I should also add that mortgage rates here are a lot higher than the UK (though from what I hear they are easier to get) so you need to bear that in mind too.

Last edited by Wooly_Cow; Nov 25th 2008 at 3:14 am.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

thanks for your comments and will bear all in mind
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennifer45
won't bore you with problems we're having selling property at mo.[ Not our own home]
Have become so totally fed up at the comedy merchants /property developers and their weird and wonderful offers that we've seriously looked into the idea of renting.
If we do get PR granted and the property market is still in the doldrums, we will rent out our family home- partially furnished or not. The rent we get will be tax free in NZ if the 4 years tax exemption on UK income for Brit immigrants remains.

Positive vibes over the Cyber Waves
I pretty sure, your rental income won't be tax free in the UK, you'll pay UK Tax on it less expenses. It will thou be exempt from the higher NZ taxes for the period you mention.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.