Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Buy a laptop in UK or NZ???

Buy a laptop in UK or NZ???

Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Buy a laptop in UK or NZ???

Hi all

We are moving to NZ in January & are looking to buy a laptop.

I have not much idea about computers at all

Would a laptop bought in the UK be ok to use in NZ, or would we be better off buying once landed in NZ?

Either way, has anyone any recommendations about which sort to buy...it can't be complicated to use (this is me we're talking about!!), yet it must have a fairly decent sized memory...for photos, vids etc

note to self.......try & become more computer literate than the kids!!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buy a laptop in UK or NZ???

I would buy there, Tesco's & Argos look about the best places to buy at the moment, you can get good spec laptops for well under £500!!!
I was looking at a PC in a leaflet from a shop over here last week. For the same spec. we worked out I could actually fly back to the UK, take a trip to Argos buy the PC, fly back here & be $100 in pocket
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:58 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

"I was looking at a PC in a leaflet from a shop over here last week. For the same spec. we worked out I could actually fly back to the UK, take a trip to Argos buy the PC, fly back here & be $100 in pocket"

Being as its going to cost you $2500 to fly to the UK and back, plus £500 ($1250) for the laptop, I think this is just a bit of an exaggeration.....

$3750 will buy you a hell of a laptop in NZ.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:14 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NakiMan
"I was looking at a PC in a leaflet from a shop over here last week. For the same spec. we worked out I could actually fly back to the UK, take a trip to Argos buy the PC, fly back here & be $100 in pocket"

Being as its going to cost you $2500 to fly to the UK and back, plus £500 ($1250) for the laptop, I think this is just a bit of an exaggeration.....

glad you said it....think hes taking the p*ss

we bought one here btw for about $1,000 but we bought it with our uk money so was a good buy and it does us
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:35 am
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

I would buy here brand new dell lap tops about $900 so about 350 pounds plus if you by in UK you want have a $ sign.

Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:11 am
Banned

Scouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really nice

We bought a pretty basic Compaq laptop here in June for $799. It does all the basics just fine and comes with MS Office.

One thing to bear in mind - if you want to play DVDs on your laptop, the UK one will only play UK discs, and an NZ one will only play NZ discs. I **think** you can switch regions a few times, but only about 5 or so. If you don't want to play DVDs of course, it's no bother.

And Dick Smith's sell mains plug converters for just about everything.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:00 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought on in the UK to bring out but then found we couldn't get it repaired here under the insurance - it was a Philips.

I'd say buy here so you KNOW it's easy for repairs, upgrades etc.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent!

Thanks for the advice everyone...muchly appreciated

Will buy once we get to NZ then....if we can't find one we like, maybe we will 'nip' back & buy one from Argos! LOL!!

Cheryl x
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:42 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

How are the plans coming along? Still aiming for end of January Cheryl?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
How are the plans coming along? Still aiming for end of January Cheryl?
O yes!

Received my nursing registration certificate at the weekend, so will be submitting EOI in a few days.

As long as there's no probs (finger's & toes & arms & legs xd!!) we will be arriving about middle of Jan...that's what we're aiming for! Then we should have a couple of weeks off together before boys start school & I start work.

Tim's gonna wait till we arrive before he looks for a job...less pressure & all that!

Ooooo, it's sooooo exciting!!!

Still have 2 houses to sell though! Have reduced the 1 we live in by £20k & still no interest! :curse: Will leave it on market for another 3-4 weeks then rent if still no joy!! The other 1 we're still renovating...it's just a little 2 bed semi...so hopefully that will sell, if not, we'll have to rent that 1 too!!

Hope everyone's ok over there...can't wait to see you all again

Cheryl x

Last edited by iwannagonow; Sep 17th 2008 at 8:57 am.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan

Quad core all singing all dancing PC from Harvey Norman, $3999, SAme spec. Argos - 450 pounds
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scouse Dave
We bought a pretty basic Compaq laptop here in June for $799. It does all the basics just fine and comes with MS Office.

One thing to bear in mind - if you want to play DVDs on your laptop, the UK one will only play UK discs, and an NZ one will only play NZ discs. I **think** you can switch regions a few times, but only about 5 or so. If you don't want to play DVDs of course, it's no bother.

And Dick Smith's sell mains plug converters for just about everything.
If you download a 'VLC Media player', it will play any region DVD's
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:09 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Quad core all singing all dancing PC from Harvey Norman, $3999, SAme spec. Argos - 450 pounds
that's OK if you know what you are doing or don't need support or have something go wrong/break......
I'd decide what you want in the UK and consider using the Dell Outlet store, usually you get a three year on site next day warranty that is fully transferrable worldwide - that's great if you end up using the machine for a business or want peace of mind.
I got a Dell machine for half the list price from the Outlet about 2 months before we came and it ws cheaper than their Ebay store "scratched" ones without a scratch on it!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:11 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

DVD genie used to be a good programme to fool regionised drives into playing ball....
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Could you post the link, because I am currently in the UK and might buy one
My research shows that UK is currently (at $2.7 to 1 pound) about 10-15% more expensive than NZ, except for a few particular models

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.