Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

BurtWink - what's your story?

BurtWink - what's your story?

Old Jan 5th 2007, 3:01 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BurtWink - what's your story?

I am interested. Wanna hear the highs (must have been some) and lows.
Can PM me if u prefer?
Old Jan 5th 2007, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of
Default Re: BurtWink - what's your story?

No...they call me Mr Transparent! LOL

I don't have time to tell the whole thing right now, but will say that the day we (Wife, 4 daughters and cat) were granted NZ Residency was one of the most exciting days of my life.

You see we had spent 2 years jumping through hoops to get our PR Visa's and really believed that we would never return to the UK.

I ran a successful business in the UK and also worked all over the world. We had a lovely house in a village (no mortgage) and our daughters were all doing very very well at school. Also had a very good social life and circle of friends and went on various holidays 3/4 time a year. So it wasn't as if we were running away from anything. Just looking for a place where we could really enjoy our family and the rest of our lives.

At this stage friends were asking us if we were doing the right thing. I was even introduced to a chap at a social function who had spent 18 months in NZ with his family before returning to the UK. At the time, as far as I was concerned, he was a waster! He had moved to the most beautiful country in the world and had failled to grab the oppertunity it had presented him, his wife and children.

When he told me that NZ had an endemic drugs culture I burst out laughing.He went on to tell me about the very poor education system, substandard housing, high crime rates, abject poverty and questionable health care. When he told me about the racism he had suffered my wife steered me away from him as she could see that I was on the brink of exploding. HOW DARE HE RUN DOWN NEW ZEALAND!

I had worked alongside individual New Zealanders, on and off for the last 25 years all over the world, often in the most hostile areas of the world. Yes they were a bit lazy, but I just put that down to being laidback. In fact, up to that point I can honsetly say that I had never met a New Zealander that I hadn't instantly liked.

As a family we had all talked for hours and hours about the life that awaited us. The kids all started diarys and my eldest daughter would spring out of cupboards with a video camera in her hand, and conduct an instant interview about our impending relocation to the other side of the world. Even the cat seemed happy!

So I hope that this shows my entire family's mindset before we left the UK, after 2 trips over to check the place out.

The rest will follow in due course.

Burt

Last edited by Burt Badger; Jan 5th 2007 at 4:15 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 6:01 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm gripped already! Sending you some Karma cos you dont sound that bad really
Old Jan 5th 2007, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Perdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dreamfish
I'm gripped already! Sending you some Karma cos you dont sound that bad really
Dont make it a weekly intallment!
Old Jan 6th 2007, 12:43 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Good post Burt Badger
Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:03 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in suspense waiting for the next installment. Shit this reminds me of those serials you used to get at the movies before the main picture started...you always had to come back the following week to find out if the baddies got 'em or they got away
Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:06 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Yea but we know the end of the story already and the baddies got poor Burt

Still can't wait for the next installment though
Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sky
Yea but we know the end of the story already and the baddies got poor Burt

Still can't wait for the next installment though
There's a twist to this story. The baddie is Burt.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 3:57 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Markk
There's a twist to this story. The baddie is Burt.
I just think he's been truthful of his own experience
Old Jan 6th 2007, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sky
I just think he's been truthful of his own experience
That may be the case (or it may not).
He/she has already been 'tripped up' a few times.
He/she has only been a member of the forum for a few days and is already filling it up with negative threads. For someone who is so full of themselves they seem to have been remarkably dim/naive.
I think there is a name for them isn't there......
Old Jan 6th 2007, 4:54 am
sky
Banned

That may be the case (or it may not).
He/she has already been 'tripped up' a few times.
He/she has only been a member of the forum for a few days and is already filling it up with negative threads. For someone who is so full of themselves they seem to have been remarkably dim/naive.
I think there is a name for them isn't there......
Maybe I'm just being naive then, what has Burt been tripped up about

If you mean the commision the agents charge for selling your house we have sold two over here so far and have been well and truly stung both times ... probably just assumed we were rich poms or something and could afford it
Old Jan 6th 2007, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sky
Maybe I'm just being naive then, what has Burt been tripped up about

If you mean the commision the agents charge for selling your house we have sold two over here so far and have been well and truly stung both times ... probably just assumed we were rich poms or something and could afford it
don't forget he's a successful businessman. Surprising really.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 5:01 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: BurtWink - what's your story?

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
I was even introduced to a chap at a social function who had spent 18 months in NZ with his family before returning to the UK. At the time, as far as I was concerned, he was a waster! He had moved to the most beautiful country in the world and had failled to grab the oppertunity it had presented him, his wife and children.

When he told me that NZ had an endemic drugs culture I burst out laughing.He went on to tell me about the very poor education system, substandard housing, high crime rates, abject poverty and questionable health care. When he told me about the racism he had suffered my wife steered me away from him as she could see that I was on the brink of exploding. HOW DARE HE RUN DOWN NEW ZEALAND!
I think I was probably this bloke.....

Buzzy
Old Jan 6th 2007, 5:21 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I think I was probably this bloke.....

Buzzy
LOL
Old Jan 6th 2007, 5:23 am
sky
Banned

don't forget he's a successful businessman. Surprising really.
I thought it was his wife who was the main earner.

Burt you're going to have to let us know more about your adventures in NZ me thinks