Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Burning garden rubbish

Burning garden rubbish

Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:00 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Burning garden rubbish

Should probably ask the local council or fire service, but the thought has just come to me, so thought I'd ask in here (it being the weekend and all ).

What are the rules/regulations around burning garden rubbish in your garden? We tried it once (when we had first arrived in NZ) and when I mentioned to a work colleague that we had done that they seemed surprised. I've since had one neighbour who says we can't do it, whilst another neighbour has had several over the years!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Burning garden rubbish

Depends where you live - there is a total fire ban here for 6 months of the year. People do burn stuff when there isn't though, but we are rural. You certainly wouldn't be able to do it at all in, say, Christchurch

Jan
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:00 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

We burn pallets, logs, building off cuts, but there's restrictions now and agin. Normally drunk around a 2/3 oil drum in thegarden and no-one's ever complained.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

burbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on where you live you may also need to contact the local council for a fire permit first. Some are free but the burbs generally have to pay a fee for it. Also, you're supposed to notify the fire service before lighting a fire.This makes sense as if your fire is reported, the service have it on record & a call out can be stopped. You will also be informed on any restrictions which generally come into force during the summer months.
If your neighbour is burning regularly, I'd be inclined to report it to the council.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:51 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vikkichic
Depending on where you live you may also need to contact the local council for a fire permit first. Some are free but the burbs generally have to pay a fee for it. Also, you're supposed to notify the fire service before lighting a fire.This makes sense as if your fire is reported, the service have it on record & a call out can be stopped. You will also be informed on any restrictions which generally come into force during the summer months.
If your neighbour is burning regularly, I'd be inclined to report it to the council.
Thanks for all the comments. Pretty much what I thought. I'll get on to the council tomorrow - even if we need to pay for a permit it'll still be cheaper than the cost of removing it from the site

The neighbour who has fires is clearing a new section for building, so nothing out of the ordinary that needs reporting (unless we find that we're not supposed to burn where we are - semirural). We've been doing much the same - clearing the next phase of our section for landscaping - damn broom is a bloody nuisence
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
............ We've been doing much the same - clearing the next phase of our section for landscaping - damn broom is a bloody nuisence
Too right and its the Brits that brought it here in the first place!
together with certain Rats and loads of weeds and -- ? -- oh give me time-- I'll think of something!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jennifer45
together with certain Rats and loads of weeds and -- ? -- oh give me time-- I'll think of something!

That'll be the ancestors of the modern day NZers then?
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:10 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennifer45
along with roads, railways and potable water supplies. Eggs and omelets jennifer .
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe try the local council, for Auckland: http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/coun...t.asp#backyard
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

Quote:
along with roads, railways and potable water supplies. Eggs and omelets jennifer .
The aqueduct....And the sanitation!....Oh yes... sanitation, Reg, you remember what the city used to be like....And the roads...

Well yes obviously the roads... the roads go without saying. But apart from the aqueduct, the sanitation and the roads...

sorry couldnt resisit a bit of Python
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeepSix
The aqueduct....And the sanitation!....Oh yes... sanitation, Reg, you remember what the city used to be like....And the roads...

Well yes obviously the roads... the roads go without saying. But apart from the aqueduct, the sanitation and the roads...

sorry couldnt resisit a bit of Python
I love Python