British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Burn Out (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/burn-out-523438/)

kgreen07 Mar 21st 2008 4:09 pm

Burn Out

Hi all, havent posted for a while, just really need to have a moan. I really am at the point of burn out. Have got start date for job in NZ 1st of July, still no visa, no contact made by a case officer- but had an e-mail on the 12th confirming they have received job offer and a case officer will be in touch 'within the next few weeks'. Is this normal? How will they contact me? When do you think I need to chase them?
House is on the market and am so sick of having to tidy up and sort house just to accomidate time wasters. :frown: The bloody 'credit srunch' isnt helping- the timing of wanting to sell couldnt be worse! Does anyone know if houses are selling? Is anyone else in this position?
Its very difficult when none of my friends and family know the process we have to go through to get to NZ!
Everything is up in the air and I just need to know whats happening, I never imagined that even at this stage things would be so stressful.
Have sorted out some accomidation in NZ when we arrive for 8 weeks and husband has just hinted that he doesnt like it:curse:
Feel soooooo stressed and immigration still may not grant us residence, I know I have to be patient but feel at the point of burn out already. HELP !
Need some positive vibes please!! katherine.x

j19fmm Mar 21st 2008 4:23 pm

Re: Burn Out

Hi Katherine, can't help with all your worries but am sending as many good-feeling-positive-vibes as i can manage.....:thumbsup:

lardyl Mar 21st 2008 9:59 pm

Can offer empathy - none of your family and friends who have not done this will understand fully what it takes - they dish out plattitudes and wonder why you get annoyed and frustrated. Been there.
As far as having second thoughts - that's normal, getting out of the comfort zone is always hard and the move for us must rank as the most out of that zone, apart from me leaving work and starting my own business here, we did before NZ!
Just focus on what you can do and what you can change and with a small amount of luck the rest should happen.
Our house is rented at the mo - part of me wishes we had sold before wemoved as it is less marketable now but another part says we could have fritted some of the money away here living like cashed-up Pomms and not have the stability. With a good agent in a decent area and a smallish UK mortgage it can work, plus renting here is still being subsidised by tax breaks so rentals are relatively cheap - and a good alternative as the housing market in NZ is weakening.

Ooops posted on the other thread......thought you said there you had no job offer and realise now my post was not in the best of taste - I'll edit it! :)

SidNZ Mar 22nd 2008 1:35 am

Originally Posted by kgreen07 (Post 6093584)
Hi all, havent posted for a while, just really need to have a moan. I really am at the point of burn out. Have got start date for job in NZ 1st of July, still no visa, no contact made by a case officer- but had an e-mail on the 12th confirming they have received job offer and a case officer will be in touch 'within the next few weeks'. Is this normal? How will they contact me? When do you think I need to chase them?
House is on the market and am so sick of having to tidy up and sort house just to accomidate time wasters. :frown: The bloody 'credit srunch' isnt helping- the timing of wanting to sell couldnt be worse! Does anyone know if houses are selling? Is anyone else in this position?
Its very difficult when none of my friends and family know the process we have to go through to get to NZ!
Everything is up in the air and I just need to know whats happening, I never imagined that even at this stage things would be so stressful.
Have sorted out some accomidation in NZ when we arrive for 8 weeks and husband has just hinted that he doesnt like it:curse:
Feel soooooo stressed and immigration still may not grant us residence, I know I have to be patient but feel at the point of burn out already. HELP !
Need some positive vibes please!! katherine.x

Hi Katherine,

I can sympathise with with you as we went through a lenghty process before we escaped the UK. We had a delay in securing our WTR visas all whilst we were selling our house and I had given up my job ready for the escape.

Our first purchasers decided to split up just before we exchanged contracts, so house back on market and no news on the visa front and left job. House sold for a second time with couple who wanted move quickly and no news on visa front. Panic was starting to set in when two weeks from completing on the house still no news on the visa front so I had some interviews as I thought I was going to need a job.

Chased NZIS only to told that they had left a message on my old work phone (I did tell them that the number was not to be used as the phone was handed back) ............ to say visas granted. You can imagine the tears of joy that flowed. Passports were collected and flights booked before the day was finished.

The last thing we did before we escaped was to drop the keys in at the estate agent and drive to Heathrow. Everything worked out well for us in the end with the timing of the house sale, obtaining visas and getting out of the UK but it was a stressful process. Was it all worth it ...... a big YES ... our quality of life has gone up enormously and NZ is our home.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you as I know what you are are going through.

Sid

kgreen07 Mar 22nd 2008 9:04 am

Thanks so much, its nice to know its not just us who are having (or have had)these stressy times! Got another viewing this morning so fingers crossed! To be honest after a few wines last night I have decided 'what will be will be':unsure: and at this stage I have done everything in my power to get to NZ. The rest is up to immigration, the british house buyers,a bit of luck and a fair breeze! Watch this space!

luvwelly Mar 23rd 2008 6:42 am

Have you actually submitted all your paperwork, medicals etc etc ? if so then chase them.
If not get on to it fast. Reduce stress by making plans for taking up the job in NZ even if the UK house hasn't sold if that is at all possible.
I'm not trying to make light....waiting for visas was one of most stressful periods of my recent adult life....for several reasons I won't go into here....but once you get the visa it does get better/easier...even though emotionally that's when the real trouble starts.