British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Burgled...again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/burgled-again-507761/)

NZBee Jan 20th 2008 10:06 pm

Burgled...again

2nd time in a month. In Auckland....seriously...I am beginning to feel I felt safer in London.
I love NZ....but there really needs to be an overhaul of the justice system...it is ridiculous.
:mad:

Yotty Jan 20th 2008 10:26 pm

Re: Burgled...again

How would an overhaul of the justice system help NZB ?

teambwr47 Jan 20th 2008 10:27 pm

Thats not good at all.......sorry to hear that.:thumbdown:

Where in Auckland?

Did they come back and enter the house in the same way as last time?

Nerine Jan 20th 2008 10:34 pm

Oh no :mad: that's horrible, what scumbags! Do you think it was the same people as last time?

Guy down the road from us had his laptop nicked a week or so back, our kids were playing out in the street at the time and saw the thief jumping the fence. The police came round that evening to take statements from them and they were so brilliant at giving their evidence.(The female PC also had a gun which my son was dead impressed at)

Happens the world over sadly.

NZBee Jan 20th 2008 10:34 pm

When the police (finally) came around they were there for 2 hours...we had a big chat about what has been happening in Auckland with regards to burglaries, and they said they found it really frustrating in their job, as when these thieves are caught, and they go to court, they nearly always get let off with slapped wrists....they said they are almost nearly always let off for their offence, even if they are repeat offenders.......this is letting the general residence of NZ down, as there is no law as such putting off these scum of the earth from repeat offences...it is really disheartening, and scary...that you can call 111, reporting that there is someone in your house with a crowbar....and the police won't respond to this......I really am gutted....

NZBee Jan 20th 2008 10:36 pm

they came in a different way....something we overlooked...

Yotty Jan 20th 2008 10:41 pm

We were burgled once a pretty unpleasant experience. We've bought 2 Airedale Terriers now. That has seemed to do the trick !

dlmckay Jan 20th 2008 10:41 pm

I'm sorry to hear your troubles NZBee.

It's a sad thing, but a second time around burglary is not uncommon. They rob you, wait for the insurance to replace everything they stole and come again for a second helping.

Better locks required?

Nerine Jan 20th 2008 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Yotty (Post 5816102)
How would an overhaul of the justice system help NZB ?

Because very often these people aren't given custodial sentences. I gave evidence in a court case a year or so back and the perp was given little more than a rap over the knuckles. Very often these people are under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol and it seems to give them a get out of jail free card, most of them get community service.

Most crime is drug related in NZ, more resources need to be put into identifying P labs and clearing them out. Needs a zero tolerance approach and tighter controls on the sources of the ingredients used to make methamphetamine.

Yotty Jan 20th 2008 10:43 pm

Imformative post Nerine ... thanks!:thumbup:

Batty Jan 20th 2008 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by NZBee (Post 5816152)
they came in a different way....something we overlooked...

I've heard a lot of people are being robbed because of the hot weather - they go to work and forget they've left windows open. I know we've done it :o

happynz Jan 20th 2008 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5816177)
Because very often these people aren't given custodial sentences. I gave evidence in a court case a year or so back and the perp was given little more than a rap over the knuckles. Very often these people are under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol and it seems to give them a get out of jail free card, most of them get community service.

Most crime is drug related in NZ, more resources need to be put into identifying P labs and clearing them out. Needs a zero tolerance approach and tighter controls on the sources of the ingredients used to make methamphetamine.

Good god, I find myself agreeing with Nerine. :ohmy:

teambwr47 Jan 20th 2008 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by NZBee (Post 5816143)
When the police (finally) came around they were there for 2 hours...we had a big chat about what has been happening in Auckland with regards to burglaries, and they said they found it really frustrating in their job, as when these thieves are caught, and they go to court, they nearly always get let off with slapped wrists....they said they are almost nearly always let off for their offence, even if they are repeat offenders.......this is letting the general residence of NZ down, as there is no law as such putting off these scum of the earth from repeat offences...it is really disheartening, and scary...

This is exactly the same feelings that the rank and file police service in the UK has with regard to the justice system being 'scewed' to favour the offender. The courts there and here it seems are unwillingly to be forceful in their actions due to the increasing 'do gooder' anti punishment lobby.

I must say the courts here seem to be even weaker willed and the examples of the number not remanded for serious crime is amazing to me.

that you can call 111, reporting that there is someone in your house with a crowbar....and the police won't respond to this......I really am gutted....
I don't accept that other than in circumstances of no available resource due to other serious incidents that the police would not attend such a call as soon as they physically could.

I asked how they got in as its well known that offenders will return to crime scenes and if they see the same route in or a repaired 'easy' access that's the same as before they will re-use it. If there is a way to substantially change your security measures then its well worth those changes to prevent a god forbid, 3rd time. You need to make a very obvious change that's visible ....not sure if you have an alarm etc?

Hopefully the police can send a crime prevention person to you and look overall at your home......

Personally the very best way i've found to secure your home is to stand outside as if you have locked yourself out and then work out how you're going to break in........

Most people i've ever said that to come up with something like 'well the patio door is loose so i'd break in there' or 'i always leave the landing window open for the cat' etc etc

Very likely the burglars checked your place out and found a few route in.....sadly the same people may have reused one.

garryhg Jan 20th 2008 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by NZBee (Post 5816002)
2nd time in a month. In Auckland....seriously...I am beginning to feel I felt safer in London.
I love NZ....but there really needs to be an overhaul of the justice system...it is ridiculous.
:mad:

where about in Auckland are you,i am so sorry to hear this...the more i hear,the more i think why am i hear....

if you don't mind me asking how did they get in,just so we can maybe all learn from this and maybe make our homes a bit more secure.........jacky

Nerine Jan 20th 2008 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by NZBee (Post 5816143)
When the police (finally) came around they were there for 2 hours...we had a big chat about what has been happening in Auckland with regards to burglaries, and they said they found it really frustrating in their job, as when these thieves are caught, and they go to court, they nearly always get let off with slapped wrists....they said they are almost nearly always let off for their offence, even if they are repeat offenders.......this is letting the general residence of NZ down, as there is no law as such putting off these scum of the earth from repeat offences...it is really disheartening, and scary...that you can call 111, reporting that there is someone in your house with a crowbar....and the police won't respond to this......I really am gutted....

This is awful, must've been a traumatic event and I'm so sorry this has happened to you. It's made worse when the police just shrug their shoulders.

Did they give you the contact details for vitcim support, you may not feel like calling them right now but a chat with them may help you. I've helped a few people who have had this happen to them, you're not alone.

The USA has a three strikes and you're out law, something similar should be adopted there but the prisons are already full.