Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bunch of Shipping Arse

Bunch of Shipping Arse

Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:46 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bunch of Shipping Arse

Just lost the fantastic bit of prose regarding moving house to NZ that I just wrote as the PC obviously felt it was too good for publication, and decided to crash on me, so losing it.

And I can tell you that I nearly lost it today, with our shipping agents. I have never been so stressed, and making split second decisions between 'take it' and 'leave it' all the time does, in the end, leave you questioning your sanity.

Include the fact that I'm still working, Toni is up to her ears in paperwork, the house is still not let to anyone, and I've just caught a cold, then you'd be right in thinking that we must both be masochists.

And now, I'm starting to think the same!

Bloody exhange rate has just gone up by 3c which has cost us $900nz. Gah!!!! As I did a deal on a falling dollar last Thursday. Doh!

We fly on Sat eve, and i for one will be SO glad to have 24 hours of sitting in a plane, wathcing films, eating and drinking. Gawd knows what it's gonna be liek in NZ, but bring it on I say - gotta be an improvement on the shyte that's going on here in Southend.

Yours, just a tad stressed, and feeling better for taking it out on a soon-to-be-in-a-skip keyboard,

Wiz
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bunch of Shipping Arse

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Just lost the fantastic bit of prose regarding moving house to NZ that I just wrote as the PC obviously felt it was too good for publication, and decided to crash on me, so losing it.

And I can tell you that I nearly lost it today, with our shipping agents. I have never been so stressed, and making split second decisions between 'take it' and 'leave it' all the time does, in the end, leave you questioning your sanity.

Include the fact that I'm still working, Toni is up to her ears in paperwork, the house is still not let to anyone, and I've just caught a cold, then you'd be right in thinking that we must both be masochists.

Bloody exhange rate has just gone up by 3c which has cost us $900nz. Gah!!!! As I did a deal on a falling dollar last Thursday. Doh!

We fly on Sat eve, and i for one will be SO glad to have 24 hours of sitting in a plane, wathcing films, eating and drinking. Gawd knows what it's gonna be liek in NZ, but bring it on I say - gotta be an improvement on the shyte that's going on here in Southend.

Yours, just a tad stressed, and feeling better for taking it out on a soon-to-be-in-a-skip keyboard,

Wiz
Welcome to the world of Emigrating.
Hope you have a safe flight and all goes well.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

We fly on Sat eve, and i for one will be SO glad to have 24 hours of sitting in a plane, wathcing films, eating and drinking.

Wiz
hope youre not flying air new zealand or its water and frittata and videos of people bungy jumping/maoris playing with fluffy balls on continous loop for you!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Wiz
Oh you poor things. I cant imagine all that! Our way was definatley the best then...leave it all behind and start again!
Well, not long now, just sit on that plane and do nothing whilst being looked after, you will be ready for that!

NZ lovely, well some of us think so anyway
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:58 pm

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
hope youre not flying air new zealand or its water and frittata and videos of people bungy jumping/maoris playing with fluffy balls on continous loop for you!
No flippin way mate - it's Singapore Airlines all the way. We did a number of flights with them last year, and they are in our opinion, the nuts.

Flying with them to Auckland, then after a couple of days relaxing, flying Quantas to ChCh. How come they were cheaper than Air NZ? Hope they won't be chanting 'five-nill, fiiiive nill' as we board

Wiz
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

No flippin way mate - it's Singapore Airlines all the way. We did a number of flights with them last year, and they are in our opinion, the nuts.

Flying with them to Auckland, then after a couple of days relaxing, flying Quantas to ChCh. How come they were cheaper than Air NZ? Hope they won't be chanting 'five-nill, fiiiive nill' as we board

Wiz
good call - singapore is the best IMO - ive done virgin, anz, emirates, ba - singapore is the best (although their inflight entertainment is getting a bit long in the tooth compared to virgin)

in fairness i hear the anz fleet is gradually being upgraded but heaven help you if you get one of the old ones!!

best of luck to you!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Wiz
We flew Qantas to ChCh too, again cheaper than AirNZ???
Says it all really.

Singapore are brill.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

I flew Air NZ to Brisbane, it was cheaper than Qantas. I was worried about the planes, but most have been upgraded now. It was fine, good lunch and couple of glasses of wine.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
good call - singapore is the best IMO - ive done virgin, anz, emirates, ba - singapore is the best (although their inflight entertainment is getting a bit long in the tooth compared to virgin)

in fairness i hear the anz fleet is gradually being upgraded but heaven help you if you get one of the old ones!!

best of luck to you!
Cheers SS, appreciate it. It's been a mental couple of days, and I really didn't believe it was all going to happen until that big van turned up at 10am Tuesday morning, and loads of moving blokes descended, all asking for 'tea wiv' two mate, cheers'.

Apparently, we have to really go through with it now. I tell ya, last night I was ready to call work, and all me mates (all 2 of 'em ) and tell them that they'd been had, that it was all a big joke, and we weren't really going, and 'could i have my job back?'

Now, all I can hear in my head is Del-boy, complete with rain coat and cigar, holdig court in the Nags head and saying 'He who dares Rodders, he who dares'

Wiz
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jude J
Oh you poor things. I cant imagine all that! Our way was definatley the best then...leave it all behind and start again!
Well, not long now, just sit on that plane and do nothing whilst being looked after, you will be ready for that!

NZ lovely, well some of us think so anyway
Nice one JJ, cheers for the positive vibes. I have to say that I don't think we'll actually use 50% of the shyte I've seen packed, but who's to know, eh? Maybe that 3ft tall model glass harp WILL come in handy one day? Yeah - maybe to bash the shipping company rep over the head with

I'll let you know in a couple of years, when I get parole!

Pleased you thing NZ is a great place. It seems that as with anything, those who are happy with things will tell 2 people, those who are unhappy will tell 20. We're big enough and ugly enough to make up our own minds on things, and we look forward to doing so.

Watch out ChCh, I hope you've had your jabs

Wiz
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice one JJ, cheers for the positive vibes. I have to say that I don't think we'll actually use 50% of the shyte I've seen packed, but who's to know, eh? Maybe that 3ft tall model glass harp WILL come in handy one day? Yeah - maybe to bash the shipping company rep over the head with

I'll let you know in a couple of years, when I get parole!

Pleased you thing NZ is a great place. It seems that as with anything, those who are happy with things will tell 2 people, those who are unhappy will tell 20. We're big enough and ugly enough to make up our own minds on things, and we look forward to doing so.

Watch out ChCh, I hope you've had your jabs

Wiz
Lucky ChCh! I hope you find many like-minded people there. Certainly a huge change from Southend. Being an Essex girl I have an affection for Southend, had many a happy day out there.
Went there a couple of years ago with my sister and nieces, it did seem to be going downhill.

I do love it here, when we had only been here a couple of months I was listening to some poms in the local British Pub, having a good old moan about there being no loo paper in the ladies, and how that would 'never happen in England'
Before anyone says 'but if its so great, why are you on here all the time?' I'm not, I never come on at night or weekends and only ever during the day when I am at work. I am lucky enough to be able to do several things at once, one of them being adding my two pennys worth on here
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Wiz
Well done on the day almost being here and not getting too stressed

who did you use for your shipping in the end? I have stuff here I wonder why I bought with me and particularly clothes that no longer fit

Good Luck, I love it here in auckland, but am a surfer in the day only (supposed to be doing this work lark that people go on about - I am really)
Old Jan 11th 2007, 5:23 am

Lucky ChCh! I hope you find many like-minded people there. Certainly a huge change from Southend. Being an Essex girl I have an affection for Southend, had many a happy day out there.
Went there a couple of years ago with my sister and nieces, it did seem to be going downhill.
It still is a great place on its day, it just seems that there are fewer and fewer of 'those' days Petty crime and vandalism where we live has really turned us off the place.

I do love it here, when we had only been here a couple of months I was listening to some poms in the local British Pub, having a good old moan about there being no loo paper in the ladies, and how that would 'never happen in England'
Before anyone says 'but if its so great, why are you on here all the time?' I'm not, I never come on at night or weekends and only ever during the day when I am at work. I am lucky enough to be able to do several things at once, one of them being adding my two pennys worth on here
Brits will always be the first to moan anywhere - yet do we take any action? Do we heck!

I would usually be surfing like mad at work too, but they got wise to it yesterday and have now restricted my access. Boo Hiss - still only 2 days of it to go, and then we're off. Yippeeeee!

Wiz
Old Jan 11th 2007, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by kwprwn
Well done on the day almost being here and not getting too stressed

who did you use for your shipping in the end? I have stuff here I wonder why I bought with me and particularly clothes that no longer fit

Good Luck, I love it here in auckland, but am a surfer in the day only (supposed to be doing this work lark that people go on about - I am really)

We have used a local firm from Basildon, and I'll save judgement on them until our stuff arrives. So far though, the service hasn't been exactly 5*, but then we haggled on price, and I am a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for', so we shall suck it and see.

Good to hear of a few more people who love it - I hope we do too.

Cheers,

Wiz