Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bullying in NZ....

Bullying in NZ....

Old Feb 11th 2017, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bullying in NZ....

Originally Posted by BEVS
Eh?
What is happening at Farewell is what happens at other whale traps around the world. Many countries have cetacean stranding response teams.

We would be there at Farewell now but for a couple of reasons which made it impossible for us to go up yesterday & difficult today so far which is poo and frustrating for us. However we are ready .

Currently the volunteers are made up of tourists & backpackers in the area , Project Jonah medics ( like us ), DoC workers & those able to make the journey to the area.

Like the last time two years ago, it will be a truly international peopled effort. I can vouch for that from personal experience.

BTW Daren Grover who manages P.J. is British . I briefly met Steve Whitehouse, formerly of PJ for many decades & now of WhaleRescue at the last large stranding. Although he lives in Oz , he is a Kiwi.

I suppose only 3.5 mil backpackers make NZ tick then.

"BTW Daren Grover who manages P.J. is British"

Well, NZ was mostly populated by the British, so I'm not surprised to find one or two, plus, that's where Kiwi's get their lovely personality from. It's all in the genes you know
Old Feb 11th 2017, 1:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by LoCarb
I suppose only 3.5 mil backpackers make NZ tick then.

"BTW Daren Grover who manages P.J. is British"

Well, NZ was mostly populated by the British, so I'm not surprised to find one or two, plus, that's where Kiwi's get their lovely personality from. It's all in the genes you know
I actually do not understand this post in terms of who is helping and volunteering at the stranding.

FWIW Most Kiwis prefer to somehow or other ID with Scotland. Grover is English which most Kiwis prefer not to ID with for whatever reason.

In any case, the strandings up at Farewell will have volunteers from all around the world. It ain't a Kiwi thing.

Incidentally, Project Jonah was founded by Joan McIntyre in California 1972. The NZ chapter came into being in 1974. Steve Whitehouse was one of those founders here in NZ . You won't see that acknowledgement in any PJ manual because of the political infighting & politics these years. Just like the driving here, certain organisations will simply not share the same space together nicely for the good of the whales, allowing the best drivers to lead along the rocky road whilst being happy to bring up the rear group of volunteers. That makes me sad as quite some considerable expertise and knowledge that could be used is cut out of the picture & poor decision making, by those not so able, is then made. I have actually seen an expert in the field prevented from attending. I also know one organisation with people in NZ who were not and have not been alerted to attend. Makes no sense as at such a time we need all the experise we can get. This is no reflection on the medics or the volunteers. It is just how it currently is and has been for years and I everlastingly hope that will change somehow.

Anyway. Apologies to Genesis for taking the thread off topic. If needs be, I can split the thread and give myself a dunce hat and time in the naughty corner.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 11th 2017 at 1:27 am. Reason: blimmin spilling
Old Feb 11th 2017, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BEVS

Anyway. Apologies to Genesis for taking the thread off topic. If needs be, I can split the thread and give myself a dunce hat and time in the naughty corner.
Don't split on my account.

I've finished my contribution.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 2:07 am
`

Originally Posted by LoCarb
Don't split on my account.

I've finished my contribution.
H'okay. Me too.
If you don't see me tomorrow ,it is because there is now a new stranding threat so we will head out at first light if this has happened. there is no need.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
.... is the 2nd worst in the world apparently. What is wrong with this country? You see bullying on the road, every day. People tailgating you at 100ks with 2 metres betwixt them and you. The aggressive way they drive in general, the way they will not let you in OR out of any given situation. The way they over take you when you are doing 104ks!

Aggression seems to permeate the kiwi psyche. I know a person who was bullied in both the private and public sector. My ex wife was bullied out of her job in the public sector. The public sector are supposed to be champions of anti-bullying.

My friend who was bullied (who worked in the public sector) who, was screamed at in an open plan office by the department head. My friend, who left shortly afterwards, had a gagging order slapped on them so they could not mention what happened.

That bully is now the CEO of another public sector organisation!! In the private example, the staffer stood up to the bullying supervisor, in a professional and non aggressive manner (this was corroborated by another person) and was sacked, just before the 90 days probabtion was up.

I have been bullied in the UK by colleagues in the Met Police. It was awful and had a terrible deleterious effect on me. NZ should be so ashamed of the awful reputation it has in this area.
When I first arrived in NZ I was shocked at the level of management inefficiency and bullying that went on in the workplace. I had never come across such things in my 30 plus years of working in UK. It seems that managers are made managers due to the length of time they have been with a company, regardless of competency, or if they are in with the 'in crowd' higher management. In my experience the women were actually worse than the men and it was always the useless, clueless ones who bullied the most. I left several jobs in those first few years because I couldn't bear working under those conditions. Some days I found myself wandering the streets in tears during my lunchtime. It certainly didn't help towards my settling in to NZ. Thankfully, I finally found a wonderful job within a university and have been very happy there for the past 7 years or so. Such a difference being surrounded by educated and intelligent people.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smudge1
When I first arrived in NZ I was shocked at the level of management inefficiency and bullying that went on in the workplace. I had never come across such things in my 30 plus years of working in UK. It seems that managers are made managers due to the length of time they have been with a company, regardless of competency, or if they are in with the 'in crowd' higher management. In my experience the women were actually worse than the men and it was always the useless, clueless ones who bullied the most. I left several jobs in those first few years because I couldn't bear working under those conditions. Some days I found myself wandering the streets in tears during my lunchtime. It certainly didn't help towards my settling in to NZ. Thankfully, I finally found a wonderful job within a university and have been very happy there for the past 7 years or so. Such a difference being surrounded by educated and intelligent people.
Sorry to hear about your sad experience, I did the tears thing too, in my panda car, imagine it, a copper in full uniform, driving his panda car (on his own I add), blubbing his eyes out cos of the nasty, vindictive bastards I worked with, who drove me to the point of significant mental unhealth. Hateful, hateful people. And MY crime? I was not prepared to be corrupt. God, it is unbelievable, after Op Countryman in the 70s, the Brixton riots, the catalyst for birth of PACE in 1984 (a code of practice for transparent and accountable behaviour), that in the 90s you still had, in certain stations (in the Met anyway) a hot bed of out of control, corrupt, lying coppers who relied wholly on the 'Ways and means act' to achieve what they thought was stirling police work. Rant over. Should have gone to the papers or written a book/s like an ex inspector called Charle Owen did. Fantastic reads by the way.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your sad experience, I did the tears thing too, in my panda car, imagine it, a copper in full uniform, driving his panda car (on his own I add), blubbing his eyes out cos of the nasty, vindictive bastards I worked with, who drove me to the point of significant mental unhealth. Hateful, hateful people. And MY crime? I was not prepared to be corrupt. God, it is unbelievable, after Op Countryman in the 70s, the Brixton riots, the catalyst for birth of PACE in 1984 (a code of practice for transparent and accountable behaviour), that in the 90s you still had, in certain stations (in the Met anyway) a hot bed of out of control, corrupt, lying coppers who relied wholly on the 'Ways and means act' to achieve what they thought was stirling police work. Rant over. Should have gone to the papers or written a book/s like an ex inspector called Charle Owen did. Fantastic reads by the way.
That is so awful. It really is just terrible what some so-called humans are capable of. I can empathise with you..there is nothing worse than that feeling of utter helplessness and hopelessness. I guess the only positive thing to come out of experiences like that is that we really do out stronger at the end of the day. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that. And it's never too late to write your book too you know! 👍
Old Feb 11th 2017, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that having a lack of any trust, tolerance or empathy for others is a quality to aspire to in the NZ workplace and the old 'harden up' attitude certainly comes to the fore. Being a tough cookie is a highly regarded attribute generally in NZ and seems to go a long way in helping people to get promotion to more senior positions.

It's like a sport and people enjoy testing the metal and undermining the success, mental health and well-being of other people around them.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
It seems that having a lack of any trust, tolerance or empathy for others is a quality to aspire to in the NZ workplace and the old 'harden up' attitude certainly comes to the fore. Being a tough cookie is a highly regarded attribute generally in NZ and seems to go a long way in helping people to get promotion to more senior positions.

It's like a sport and people enjoy testing the metal and undermining the success, mental health and well-being of other people around them.
Sad but true 😢
Old Feb 11th 2017, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smudge1
That is so awful. It really is just terrible what some so-called humans are capable of. I can empathise with you..there is nothing worse than that feeling of utter helplessness and hopelessness. I guess the only positive thing to come out of experiences like that is that we really do out stronger at the end of the day. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that. And it's never too late to write your book too you know! 👍
Thank you. I am indeed a great believer that strength does come from adversity.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

But they don't want to own the suicide thing, the bullying thing, OR the driving thing. Kiwi psyche, she'll be right. Bloody infuriating!
I'd disagree with that, I think many Kiwi's are equally frustrated with the driving standards.

According to that report, bullying seems to be most concentrated in councils, healthcare, government departments - which isn't surprising.

I haven't seen it in any companies or schools
Old Feb 14th 2017, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
I'd disagree with that, I think many Kiwi's are equally frustrated with the driving standards.
Kiwi's are only frustrated by the driving standards of foreign(Asian) tourists ... they were moaning about them on the radio again this evening.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Kiwi's are only frustrated by the driving standards of foreign(Asian) tourists ... they were moaning about them on the radio again this evening.
Yeah, there seems to be that xenophobic element (and that ridiculous suggestion about setting tests for foreigners), but more than a few complain about lane discipline and people not being considerate.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 10:12 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
Some possible reasons other than shiter driving why NZ has a high road toll. 1: They have the highest level of car ownership in the world, I think. If not, its up there. 2: They have a large level of open roads. In the Uk, you leave one town and its not long before youre in the next limited speed zone. In NZ you drive 100s of KMs between towns at 100 kph and there isnt the population to maintain the roads to the same standard. 3: Lower level of public transport usage. 4: High rural population 5: shite driving
6. Outside of the urban centers you wait a long time in the ditch for the ambulance and then it's a long wait to the hospital.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 2:25 am
`

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
6. Outside of the urban centers you wait a long time in the ditch for the ambulance and then it's a long wait to the hospital.
.....but you might get to ride in a helicopter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.