Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Building site voltage

Building site voltage

Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Building site voltage

Hello all, for those people working on building sites and the like in NZ, my OH would like to know if they use 110 volts (is that right?) as he wants to bring his transformer (??) with us. Thanks, Bevissa
Old Aug 26th 2009, 12:54 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building site voltage

Originally Posted by bevissa65 View Post
Hello all, for those people working on building sites and the like in NZ, my OH would like to know if they use 110 volts (is that right?) as he wants to bring his transformer (??) with us. Thanks, Bevissa
Hi
tell him not to bother. fill the space with something more worthwhile

My DHs transformer is sat in the corner of the garage with a very thick layer of dust on it. Not seen the light of day in over 2 years. Oh and by the way he's a Site Manager ( just to qualify my response)

HTH
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P2L View Post
Hi
tell him not to bother. fill the space with something more worthwhile

My DHs transformer is sat in the corner of the garage with a very thick layer of dust on it. Not seen the light of day in over 2 years. Oh and by the way he's a Site Manager ( just to qualify my response)

HTH
Thanks for that, did it not get used cos it wasn't needed or cos it didn't work? My OH is a sparky and uses it loads (think he's emotionally attached to it myself but he reckons he might need it!!) Bevissa
Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:46 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Not used cos not needed! On sites, 110v tools not used here. All 230/240 mains. Yes, even outside. Yes, even in rain, wind, snow, sun. So no need for transformer for work purposes.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 6:01 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

A glowing indictment of "all OSH" in NZ - she'll be right............
Old Aug 27th 2009, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough

Dont you just love em'
here in the UK we had a guy at work reported for using a 110 transformer because it was plugged into the mains
You can't beat quality management
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:30 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Ah but was it RCD protected?
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lardyl View Post
Ah but was it RCD protected?
Yes it was
but they've introduced a nice new system where the management now have targets to find people doing things wrong, they have the option to spot people doing things right as well but most of them dont seem to like that idea, I guess it's a power trip thing.
PPE is their favorite, which is quite comical now as the big cheese after reviewing all the figures has noticed very few accidents are caused by incorrect PPE so he's asked them nicely to find other things to report on
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:00 am
you dewty owld maan!

But PPE is the last line of defence, management of H&S should sort out the risks before PPE is involved. Hence over-managing PPE is simply a sign of poor H&S maangement.........
Don't worry! they give serious tools to kids in Kindy here, my 3yr old used to come back with all sorts of creations bearing lots of nails. Some of which he used to bash big brother over the head with.
I know several blokes who lost bits of digits as kids when so-and-so, the little brother, put an axe through it or such-and-such big brother dared me to stick my finger in that farm implement.....
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

But PPE is the last line of defence, management of H&S should sort out the risks before PPE is involved. Hence over-managing PPE is simply a sign of poor H&S maangement.........
Don't worry! they give serious tools to kids in Kindy here, my 3yr old used to come back with all sorts of creations bearing lots of nails. Some of which he used to bash big brother over the head with.
I know several blokes who lost bits of digits as kids when so-and-so, the little brother, put an axe through it or such-and-such big brother dared me to stick my finger in that farm implement.....
Sounds more like it to me , I remember splitting my head open with a hammer, treading on nails we'd just hammererd into wood, falling out of trees barbed wire fences all the things they're not allowed to play with now, have to say it's one of the things that attracts us to NZ, the little on loves his (my) power tools, I can't do anything at home without him having to have a go as well, the grinder was the most scary still he's 5 soon and wont need supervising any more.

H&S definately has it's place but it's all gone too far now.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:40 am
you dewty owld maan!

Agreed but when you've seen dead bodies and bits of people splattered around as the result of no-one doing a risk assessment then it kinda makes you think twice.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Agreed but when you've seen dead bodies and bits of people splattered around as the result of no-one doing a risk assessment then it kinda makes you think twice.
Couldn't agree more, I think the problem is the more "safe" we make things the less people think about the dangers because they've not seen them before they've been removed and they expect someone to have made it safe before they start working, it's a catch 22 in some ways, it would be nice if everyone took responsibility for their own safety, adults that is, I feel Kids need some controlled exposure to dangers so they can appreciate them for what they are and some things will hurt if you're not careful.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:04 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta say one of the things I love about Aotearoa, is that people are responsible for their own actions from an early age, unlike the UK where people are often quick to blame the teacher, the boss, the government, the OH () or whoever else is convenient.

Just my penny's worth