Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Building a kit home?

Building a kit home?

Old Feb 22nd 2017, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

strive4impact is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Building a kit home?

Do you know what city you will build in? Do you already have your land?
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

movingtonewzealand is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by strive4impact
Do you know what city you will build in? Do you already have your land?
We would like to be somewhere rural in Canterbury, not bought anything yet. Just thinking about options at this stage. We are yet to become permanent residents, which should happen at the end of the year so once we have that, we will start the process of a build of some kind
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

AngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond repute

We are UK Family in the process of visa's etc. We are wanting to build an off grid home in NZ as we have done in Rural UK. It's hard to get a gauge on costs of building materials as we will be designing and building ourselves ( my husband is very highly skilled builder) does anyone know how building materials compare to the UK?
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AngelsEyes
We are UK Family in the process of visa's etc. We are wanting to build an off grid home in NZ as we have done in Rural UK. It's hard to get a gauge on costs of building materials as we will be designing and building ourselves ( my husband is very highly skilled builder) does anyone know how building materials compare to the UK?
Expensive! A friend ex UK has just built a house, he bought a 40 ft ISO over chocker with everything from double glazed windows, all the light fittings, carpets, a lift (?) etc reckons he saved a fortune and higher quality - though he did have a fuss proving the windows met nz standards which is a laugh
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

MrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really nice

I heard the same thing. Our friend built his own home and was constantly complaining about how difficult it was to source decent materials.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

AngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
Expensive! A friend ex UK has just built a house, he bought a 40 ft ISO over chocker with everything from double glazed windows, all the light fittings, carpets, a lift (?) etc reckons he saved a fortune and higher quality - though he did have a fuss proving the windows met nz standards which is a laugh
If thank you for that we had thought about doing that. Is there anyway to speak to your friend it would be good to learn what to bring and what not to and regulations etc. I know they have made it easier to ship materials into the country so I read anyway.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

If thank you for that we had thought about doing that. Is there anyway to speak to your friend it would be good to learn what to bring and what not to and regulations etc. I know they have made it easier to ship materials into the country so I read anyway.
He is currently in UK (at a funeral) - I will contact him when I can.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kotare
He is currently in UK (at a funeral) - I will contact him when I can.
That would be amazing thank you. X
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

That would be amazing thank you. X
Sent you a PM