Building a house

Old Oct 27th 2006, 4:29 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all
Default Building a house

Are we daft??!!!

We would love to build our own home in NZ (i.e. have someone build it for us!!!).

Anyone done this?
How do we start?
Council / planning rules?
Architects?
Getting a builder?
Costs?
Can we start the process from the UK?
Any websites?

Loads more questions!!! Any answers? Suggestions?
Old Oct 27th 2006, 4:59 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building a house

Originally Posted by sniffydog
Are we daft??!!!

We would love to build our own home in NZ (i.e. have someone build it for us!!!).

Anyone done this?
How do we start?
Architects?
Getting a builder?
Costs?
Any websites?

I am interested in this also
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:04 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
I am interested in this also
do you have lots of capital to invest in it? have you done this before in the uk?
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:22 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

do you have lots of capital to invest in it? have you done this before in the uk?
Well I did (paid someone) renovate a barn a couple of years ago. Thats was fun and very stressful. We went 60% over budget :scared:

We want to be mortage and debt free so will only have a budget of 400k-500k for both land and the build. I have been informed that this is do-able but I do not know to what kind of size or spec this budget will get you.

We want either Whangarei or maybe Tauranga. I think we are coming over in January to have a recce on these 2 areas. So will know more then.

And you?
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:29 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Well I did (paid someone) renovate a barn a couple of years ago. Thats was fun and very stressful. We went 60% over budget :scared:

We want to be mortage and debt free so will only have a budget of 400k-500k for both land and the build. I have been informed that this is do-able but I do not know to what kind of size or spec this budget will get you.

We want either Whangarei or maybe Tauranga. I think we are coming over in January to have a recce on these 2 areas. So will know more then.

And you?
Worth looking at are

www.kitsethomes.co.nz

www.eehnz.com

For building Regulations etc look at

www.dbh.govt.nz
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Worth looking at are

www.kitsethomes.co.nz

www.eehnz.com

www.dbh.govt.nz
Cheers
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:21 pm
Top Dog

And you?
Basically doing up house in UK at the moment - hope to move over to NZ with around £150 k (so $400k ish) in total. is the 400k-500k in NZ$?

Thinking of Hawke's Bay, Bay of Plenty etc... Will be job dependent!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:41 pm
Banned

hope to move over to NZ with around £150 k (so $400k ish) in total. is the 400k-500k in NZ$?
Yes

Looks like we have a similar budget
Old Oct 28th 2006, 6:39 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Yes

Looks like we have a similar budget
Yehaa,
just accepted an offer on the house only just under the asking price. Come on the job offer
Old Oct 28th 2006, 6:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SirEglamore
Yehaa,
just accepted an offer on the house only just under the asking price. Come on the job offer
Great news

Where you off to?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:31 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SirEglamore
Yehaa,
cool - congratulations!! now you are a "cashed up Pomm" - but where to spend the cash???
Me I'd build a sausage factory.....sounds like a sure fire winner - do these taste nice??

Lamb Sausages

Two versions of a skinless lamb sausage. They can also be made with skins or as kofte kebabs.
The hot version can be served with tzatziki, warm pitta bread and grilled aubergine. Tzatziki is a Greek dip. To make Tzatziki combine a tub of Greek yoghurt, half a chopped cucumber, a chopped clove of garlic, and the juice of a lemon with salt and pepper to taste.
Try the mint and spring onion version with leeks (stewed in butter and a lttle stock) and mashed potatoes.

Method
Finely mince the lamb and pork fat together in either a food processor or mincer
Combine with thebreadcrumbs, egg and seasonings. Fry a small piece to test the seasoning
Divide the mixture into 6 - 8 patties, brush with olive oil and grill both sides

Ingredients
Meat
500 g boneless lamb from either leg or shoulder (allow 750 g if you buy lamb on the bone)
125 g pork fat
50 g white breadcrumbs
1 egg

Seasoning
Either:
1 - 2 green chillies, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1 teaspoon of salt
Black pepper

Or
2 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
1/2 bunch spring onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon of salt
Black pepper
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:01 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Great news

Where you off to?
Applications in for OH at Timaru and Dunedin. now much finger twiddling and hoping
Old Oct 29th 2006, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Are we daft??!!!

Anyone done this?
How do we start?
Architects?
Getting a builder?
Costs?
Any websites?

My experience is Wellington only ...

You start by looking for a section - kiwi for plot - the zoning dictates the size of the footprint on the section, so "inner residential" will allow higher density that "outer residential" or "rural residential"

Many residential sections on the market will already have resource consent which is kiwi for planning permission. The resource consent will dictate the % coverage for the proposed dwelling and any special covenants/restrictions. Thereafter, you have to obtain building consent - similar to the UK - which is the detail of whatever you want to build.

If you make an offer on a section, it is not unusual to have a 2/3 week due diligence condition on the contract, which enables you to secure the section and investigate the feasibility of building whatever you want to build. In NZ, real estate agents can draw up legally binding contracts, on the spot, without referral to lawyers - hence you can add in "conditions" which have to be satisfied before the contract is enforceable - but, if the vendor accepts the "conditional" contract, they cannot sell to anyone else, until the conditions are satisfied or the offer is withdrawn by the potential buyer.

Having identified your section, you can either deal direct with architects, engineers, builders or you can go to one of the national building construction companies who will give you a free assessment of your section and what you want to build and your budget and tell you if the whole "cunning plan" is feasible. If you are new to NZ and design&build, especially if you embark on this route at arm's length from the UK, this is probably a safe route to go down!

Where do you think you will settle?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:55 am
Top Dog

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Worth looking at are

www.kitsethomes.co.nz

www.eehnz.com

www.dbh.govt.nz
thanks for the links!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:58 am
Top Dog

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
My experience is Wellington only ...

You start by looking for a section - kiwi for plot - the zoning dictates the size of the footprint on the section, so "inner residential" will allow higher density that "outer residential" or "rural residential"

Many residential sections on the market will already have resource consent which is kiwi for planning permission. The resource consent will dictate the % coverage for the proposed dwelling and any special covenants/restrictions. Thereafter, you have to obtain building consent - similar to the UK - which is the detail of whatever you want to build.

If you make an offer on a section, it is not unusual to have a 2/3 week due diligence condition on the contract, which enables you to secure the section and investigate the feasibility of building whatever you want to build. In NZ, real estate agents can draw up legally binding contracts, on the spot, without referral to lawyers - hence you can add in "conditions" which have to be satisfied before the contract is enforceable - but, if the vendor accepts the "conditional" contract, they cannot sell to anyone else, until the conditions are satisfied or the offer is withdrawn by the potential buyer.

Having identified your section, you can either deal direct with architects, engineers, builders or you can go to one of the national building construction companies who will give you a free assessment of your section and what you want to build and your budget and tell you if the whole "cunning plan" is feasible. If you are new to NZ and design&build, especially if you embark on this route at arm's length from the UK, this is probably a safe route to go down!

Where do you think you will settle?
Reply - hopefully Hawkes; Bay , Bay of Plenty, Coromadel - job offer will be the issue so Auckland is most likely though least desirable!!!

Thanks for info!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.