Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Build your own home in NZ

Build your own home in NZ

Old Jul 25th 2005, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Panda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant future
Default Build your own home in NZ

Hi all,

My husband and I are in the early research stages of planning a move to NZ.

We were intending to move to Auckland, but the astronomic house prices are really putting us off

Anyway, we struck on the idea of buying some land and building a house at a later date, but haven't been able to find any web resources on what the relative costs would be, what building regulations there are, reputable builders/architects etc....

Has anybody here embarked on such a project?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PP.
xx
Old Jul 25th 2005, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Panda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant future
Default Re: Build your own home in NZ

Just found this website - I guess it's a good start

http://www.branz.co.nz/main.php?page=BRANZ_Ltd_home

https://www1.creditcardguard.net.nz/...?page=Bookshop
Old Jul 25th 2005, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Maybe I should look a bit harder next time

http://www.consumerbuild.org.nz/publish/

http://www.wizard.co.nz/homeloans/task.aspx?id=445

PP
xx
Old Jul 25th 2005, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Looks like I've hit on a google.co.nz goldmine!!

http://www.building.dbh.govt.nz/e/pu...ng_costs.shtml

According to this summary it costs around $1200 per sq. metre to build a 200m2 house, so that equates to $240k for a 200m2 house.

Interesting......

PP
xx
Old Jul 25th 2005, 4:50 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the forum from one PP to another!!

I'm going to be watching this thread with some interest as this is exactly what we were thinking of doing but didn't get much response when I posted the same sort of question I'm afraid!!

This looks like it might be quite a good link though although I've only had a quick glance at it myself so don't take my word for it will you!! http://www.buildingguide.co.nz/

or this one http://www.nzs.com/business/building...tion/builders/

Anyway, hope you find out whatever you need to know!! and welcome again..
Old Jul 25th 2005, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Dizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the rough

Interesting stuff - Si hit upon this site for a bit of a leftfield approach:

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jw.rich/complex.htm

Can you imagine living in one?? Actually they do look kinda cute....
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Hello and welcome to the forum from one PP to another!!

I'm going to be watching this thread with some interest as this is exactly what we were thinking of doing but didn't get much response when I posted the same sort of question I'm afraid!!

This looks like it might be quite a good link though although I've only had a quick glance at it myself so don't take my word for it will you!! http://www.buildingguide.co.nz/

or this one http://www.nzs.com/business/building...tion/builders/

Anyway, hope you find out whatever you need to know!! and welcome again..
Hi PP,

Thanks for the welcome, believe or not we've been talking about migrating to NZ for over 5 years now but there always seemd to be something keeping us here.

I wish we had gone in 2000 as we'd be sitting on a little property goldmine now Oh well, something to teach the kids I guess

Thanks for the links, I've had a look and reading through it will certainly keep us busy for a while!

Will keep you posted

PP
xx
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dizibella
Interesting stuff - Si hit upon this site for a bit of a leftfield approach:

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jw.rich/complex.htm

Can you imagine living in one?? Actually they do look kinda cute....
That's a bit too weird for us, it would be like living in the Eden Project
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:01 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Panda_Pops
That's a bit too weird for us, it would be like living in the Eden Project
...but without all the beautiful plants and hopefully not as many visitors!! Not very good with houseplants in our house...

We like the look of these...http://www.lockwood.co.nz/ but they can work out a bit pricey...

or these http://www.paal.com.au/pages/range.html which come complete with everything including the kitchen sink!!! Ozzie company but I think you can bring them over to NZ... I like the design of the Castlereagh which works out at about £68000 I think from memory for the kit - but then you have the cost of your plot plus building costs unless you did it all yourself which they say is possible in their blurb...have a look!! The Castlereagh is enormous 428sqm with 5 beds and loads of rooms - you can have a look at the floor plans and everything - great site!!
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:19 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

...but without all the beautiful plants and hopefully not as many visitors!! Not very good with houseplants in our house...

We like the look of these...http://www.lockwood.co.nz/ but they can work out a bit pricey...

or these http://www.paal.com.au/pages/range.html which come complete with everything including the kitchen sink!!! Ozzie company but I think you can bring them over to NZ... I like the design of the Castlereagh which works out at about £68000 I think from memory for the kit - but then you have the cost of your plot plus building costs unless you did it all yourself which they say is possible in their blurb...have a look!! The Castlereagh is enormous 428sqm with 5 beds and loads of rooms - you can have a look at the floor plans and everything - great site!!
Hi Pinkie - Great sites thank you. Rather fancy 1 or 2 of the Lockwood homes. I noticed you commented on them being a bit pricey - do you have any price info? I couldn't find any on the website, but could have overlooked it. Would love to know more if you have any ideas. Will definitely be checking out one of the show homes in December - have already written the address details down in my diary
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:30 pm
Don't let me get me....

These are prices that were quoted to somebody that I know on another forum in Apr/May together with a bit of the blurb from the company (hope they don't mind me lifting the info across onto here!! but it's nowt confidential):

Iindicative prices for a 2, 3 & 4 bedroom home.

1. Paihia - 2 bedroom home - $110-$130,000

2. Nelson - 3 bedroom home - $175-$185,000

3. Parnell - 4 bedroom home - $335-$355,000

'In building a home there are many many variables that can influence the price, most of all the section, it's location and the specification of the home itself. This is reflected in the figures we have given you. These are very much "Ball Park figures" to give you a feel for the investment required. This is for a fully built home, ready for you to move in to, excluding carpets, drapes and decking. It assumes you have a flat serviced section.'

Just sounds a bit pricey to me - approx $2k per sqm ??? -when you take into account the cost of buying your land as well but maybe I'm just a bit tight!!

Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

These are prices that were quoted to somebody that I know on another forum in Apr/May together with a bit of the blurb from the company (hope they don't mind me lifting the info across onto here!! but it's nowt confidential):

'In building a home there are many many variables that can influence the price, most of all the section, it's location and the specification of the home itself. This is reflected in the figures we have given you. These are very much "Ball Park figures" to give you a feel for the investment required. This is for a fully built home, ready for you to move in to, excluding carpets, drapes and decking. It assumes you have a flat serviced section.'

Just sounds a bit pricey to me - approx $2k per sqm ??? -when you take into account the cost of buying your land as well but maybe I'm just a bit tight!!

Hi Pinkie,

Thanks for the Lockwood link, this is just what the OH and I are looking for!

That's made my day

PP
xx
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:06 am
Don't let me get me....

Originally Posted by Panda_Pops
Hi Pinkie,

Thanks for the Lockwood link, this is just what the OH and I are looking for!

That's made my day

PP
xx
You're very welcome...
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:11 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Caroline. Agree they are a bit pricey but gorgeous all the same! Probably won't make financial sense but I will keep investigating so thanks for the info.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:20 am
Don't let me get me....

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Thanks Caroline. Agree they are a bit pricey but gorgeous all the same! Probably won't make financial sense but I will keep investigating so thanks for the info.
You're very welcome too!!

I suppose if you could get a reasonably priced plot then it probably wouldn't be as expensive as buying a ready built house over here....$355,000, the most expensive quote is about £140,000 so it's not too bad really is it...just looks a lot in $$$$ !!! But I'm not sure if the Lockwood includes the actual Kitchen and bathrooms like the steel framed home and it definitely doesn't include any decking or anything...BUT I have heard it said that if you want a warm house buy a Lockwood!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.