Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Build or Buy in Tauranga

Build or Buy in Tauranga

Old Oct 4th 2006, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

chelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nice
Default Build or Buy in Tauranga

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone can give me some advice as to buy or to build? We're moving to Tauranga in December and are scouring the web for properties but a friend has suggested building. I see that there are a few people that are going down this route and I just wondered what the experience is like and if anyone has done it in the Bay of Plenty and can recommend any particular companies.

We're currently renting in Queenstown and have been apalled by the build quality and the usual pom gripe - lack of heating - so these are things that are high on our list when building/buying.

Thanks
Old Oct 4th 2006, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Build or Buy in Tauranga

Originally Posted by chelsey
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone can give me some advice as to buy or to build? We're moving to Tauranga in December and are scouring the web for properties but a friend has suggested building. I see that there are a few people that are going down this route and I just wondered what the experience is like and if anyone has done it in the Bay of Plenty and can recommend any particular companies.

We're currently renting in Queenstown and have been apalled by the build quality and the usual pom gripe - lack of heating - so these are things that are high on our list when building/buying.

Thanks
good luck chelsey , we're thinking about doing the same thing here!!!!
i found some house builders on net the other night , will find them for you & foward them on
Old Oct 5th 2006, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

chelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by poppets
good luck chelsey , we're thinking about doing the same thing here!!!!
i found some house builders on net the other night , will find them for you & foward them on
Thanks Poppets. We've hopefully got some brochures coming our way along with a hit list of what to ask when buying land. It's amazing - I wouldn't have even considered this back in the UK!
Old Oct 5th 2006, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

jonnytoes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chelsey

I found the following website useful

http://www.dbh.govt.nz/bofficials-es...building-costs

I intend to reseach doing a self build when I get to Auckland in November - there has to be better value in it and you get the house you want. If you can be patient and put up with some extra hassle in your life I'd give it strong consideration. Anyway have a look at the above and do the math - build 2 for added value!

Good luck
Old Oct 6th 2006, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chelsey
Hi,

Thanks

Hi Chelsey

My wife and I have been living in Tauranga since March and I think we have a reasonable knowledge of the area. Drop me a message and I am sure that I will be able to help with areas and builders etc. I can also give you advice on agents etc.

I would recommend you have look at this website - https://www.qv.co.nz/ where you can get a free valuation for any property you are thinking about. It's a service that lawyers are using here to make sure their clients are not being over charged for the house. It work for anywhere in NZ!

Let me know what help you need and I will do what I can. I work with a group of locals who will let me know the 'good' and 'bad' areas of the city.

Happy to help

Paul