Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Budgeting - weekly cost of living anyone?

Budgeting - weekly cost of living anyone?

Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Loubylou265 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Budgeting - weekly cost of living anyone?

Hi,
We are going through the visa process and have had an offer of employment.

Now that we know what my OH salary will be, we need to make sure that we can afford the cost of living (until I can also find work) I've looked on the various settlement sites but just wondered if anyone can give me an idea of their weekly expenditure on food, gas, elec, water, rates etc for a family of 4?

We are hoping to move to the Nelson area.

Really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:19 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budgeting - weekly cost of living anyone?

lots of post on this type of thing already. heres one http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...cost+of+living
don't forget to factor in cost of healthcare and school costs

Last edited by MrsFychan; Mar 15th 2014 at 10:21 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

Rates in Nelson are calculated on the size of the land - if you knew where you were living you could find out your yearly rates from the council website.

http://nelson.govt.nz/building-and-p...es-database-2/

Water has to be charged to the homeowner, Im currently waiting on a bill from the landlord. Expecting about $400 for our 5 month tenancy.

Ive moved here from Auckland 5 months ago and only just bought a house

I find electricity to be no more expensive, ive paid less than $100 a month since i arrived. we paid $200 approx a month in Aucks without gas

Gas comes in bottles 45kg. if you have anything that runs on gas you will pay around $125 per bottle - how long this will last will depend on its uses. We only have hot water on gas and Ive filled up 2 bottles in 5 months - the previous tenant was here over winter and he said he used a bottle a week. ***edit - The fire is gas but we havent had it on over summer.***

I find food in Nelson more expensive than Auckland

Family of three we spend 300-350 per fortnight on a big shop + maybe another 100+ on little trips for milk, bread ect ect

Broadband + phone = vodafone and about $85 per month.

Im a nurse and the 3 of us live comfortably on one salary with a 2 year old.

People talk about sunshine rates for work here but I can really comment on that as its not something ive experienced.

Cheers

Last edited by gazmac; Mar 17th 2014 at 11:00 am.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gazmac
Rates in Nelson are calculated on the size of the land - if you knew where you were living you could find out your yearly rates from the council website.

http://nelson.govt.nz/building-and-p...es-database-2/

Water has to be charged to the homeowner, Im currently waiting on a bill from the landlord. Expecting about $400 for our 5 month tenancy.

Ive moved here from Auckland 5 months ago and only just bought a house

I find electricity to be no more expensive, ive paid less than $100 a month since i arrived. we paid $200 approx a month in Aucks without gas

Gas comes in bottles 45kg. if you have anything that runs on gas you will pay around $125 per bottle - how long this will last will depend on its uses. We only have hot water on gas and Ive filled up 2 bottles in 5 months - the previous tenant was here over winter and he said he used a bottle a week. ***edit - The fire is gas but we havent had it on over summer.***

I find food in Nelson more expensive than Auckland

Family of three we spend 300-350 per fortnight on a big shop + maybe another 100+ on little trips for milk, bread ect ect

Broadband + phone = vodafone and about $85 per month.

Im a nurse and the 3 of us live comfortably on one salary with a 2 year old.

People talk about sunshine rates for work here but I can really comment on that as its not something ive experienced.

Cheers
Hi,
Thanks so much for the feedback - great to hear from someone who's actually in Nelson.

Do you have any tips for moving to the area? Things to look out for/avoid?

We will be bringing a young baby and a 3 year old, so will be keen to go to lots of clubs and groups in the area to meet new families.

Now to get on with the job hunting for me!

Thanks
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Loubylou.
We are in a village between Richmond and Motueka, About a 30 minute drive into Nelson city . Have lived in this area for ten years. Richmond is the area that attracts most families because of amenities .

I remember before we arrived that I thought Richmond was a different town from Nelson. In fact, although it is a different council ( Tasman) the areas run one into another.

It will depend where your job offer is I think. You may be able to settle in one of the surrounding villages or you may find Richmond suits your needs. Nelson is just one part of the area.

NZ is very good for it's clubs & groups .

A part of our CoL and budget. It's just us.

Electrickery . $122 on average. More summer than winter because we use the immersion to heat water.

Phone line / usage and broadband $90 with Telecom.

Groceries. $150/$200 . We have a pet, hens,ducks so this includes feeding and watering them as well as us.

No gas, although I would love a gas hob.

House content ins $450 pa

Wood for winter $280 this year. This is the sole form of heating .

House Ins $1000 pa

House rates $60 pw - this depends on the value placed on your home/land by the council , be it Nelson or the Tasman District Council

Car Tax $285 pa

WOF = MOT $$94 pa

Car Ins $250 pa

Water rates $400 pa - We have rain water tanks as well as mains. So the tanks help with the water usage.

To insure said husband against accident/illness/death given he is main/sole earner. $45 pw

Petrol $60 per week if I can . Just one fill.

I put a bit aside each week for GP visits ; the vet ; dentistry.

If you would like to know anything about a particular area , post it on up. I'll try go take some pics and the like if I can.

How's the new babe coming along. Not long now
Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Bevs, that's so helpful.

Hubby will be working near Wakefield but felt that it might be a bit far out to live - he stayed right in the town and thought it was really nice and nothing like 'town life' here in the UK - also loved The Wood, but not sure we will afford it there!

Initially we will get a holiday rental for a few weeks while we await delivery of our furniture - so we can hopefully get more of a feel for where we want to be and sort a rental out for the first year or so.

Yes, baby number two is almost here, 6 weeks and counting!

I will certainly be in touch as things progress
Old Mar 18th 2014, 11:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Wakefield is a lovely village . We have friends that live there. It has one of everything you need. Not too far from the main drag but as kids get older , you will become car ferry machines.

Richmond is very central to all areas. although busier than most areas. It will be where most of the clubs and groups are and close to the library to help with that.

The Wood is also a lovely area ( where in the Nelson and Tasman Bays area isn't lovely ) It is one of the areas we looked at when we first arrived. I think it was the look of the properties in that area , rather than the location.

Brightwater is fine but I always feel there is not much there.

You are wise to rent for a while. We rented for 2 years. I thought we'd have a small villa. Then I thought we'd have a new build We ended up with a quirky 40 year old house built by a boatbuilder. Nothing like what i had in my mind's eye
Old Mar 19th 2014, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

People rave about Richmond but it does not appeal to me neither does stoke, although these areas do appear to be quite family orientated. We moved to Nelson to live in Nelson and as such have made a choice not to consider other areas but everyone is different and if your OH is working in Wakefield then Richmond might be a more suitable option and certainly one worth some consideration. You can make that decision when you arrive.

I find renting here (NZ) expensive, it never bothered me in the UK but here you can pay less for a mortgage depending on your needs of course.

Playgroups and such are pretty easy to find and a way to meet people my OH has managed to find something to do most days, theyre not all great but it gets her out of the house which is the main thing.

Good luck with the move.