Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Budgeting for our reccie trip

Budgeting for our reccie trip

Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

PatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the rough
Default Budgeting for our reccie trip

Hiya,

I'm trying to work out how much I need to change into NZ Dollars for next months' reccie trip as we're trying to live on a budget still and pay off our debt before we emigrate.

Anyway, I figure food will be fairly similar in cost, and we eat at home anyway, so I'll take the equivilent for food.

What about petrol? We're hiring a motorhome and have absolutely no idea of fuel cost or efficiency for such a vehicle - anyone got any experience they can draw on to help??

And as a quick aside, does anyone know if you can buy Cow&Gate baby formula in NZ??

Thanks,
Liz xx

p.s. Getting excited now - less than 1 month til we fly!!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budgeting for our reccie trip

hi,

Petrol is approx $1.60 a ltr here, so your money for your petrol should go a little better. If you shop in Pac 'n' save, you will find cheaper food, If you are staying in any of the Top ten camp sites (which are great by the way) you can purchase a discount card before you go and that will save you lots, it also give you money off on loads of attractions and restaurants http://www.top10.co.nz/

If you are earning £ and spending $ you should be OK, mind you the exchange rate is terrible at the moment, so exchange at the last min. What we did was draw on our Nationwide account when we were here and used Visa debt all the time so didn't loose much exchanging cash before we came.

Have a great trip, we loved touring around in a campervan, best ever.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

sorry not sure about the cow and gate milk.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PatLiz
Hiya,

I'm trying to work out how much I need to change into NZ Dollars for next months' reccie trip as we're trying to live on a budget still and pay off our debt before we emigrate.

Anyway, I figure food will be fairly similar in cost, and we eat at home anyway, so I'll take the equivilent for food.

What about petrol? We're hiring a motorhome and have absolutely no idea of fuel cost or efficiency for such a vehicle - anyone got any experience they can draw on to help??

And as a quick aside, does anyone know if you can buy Cow&Gate baby formula in NZ??

Thanks,
Liz xx

p.s. Getting excited now - less than 1 month til we fly!!
Hello Patliz

Have no idea about how to help with any of your questions - just wanted to say hello and wlecome.

Good luck with your reccie trip next month - wish i was going out with you x but i guess i will have to wait my turn x
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Fuel a lot cheaper than u are used to $50 to fill up my 3 ltr diesel (about 20 quid) I think food is a little more expensive

Neil
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We are coming out for a reccie next month too (if I am allowed on plane) we are hiring a car and planning on using the top ten sites they look great as teebrown said fuel def seems cheaper. When are you going and how long for

Angela x
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

PatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the rough

AngelaandJim - We're flying out on the 16th October, and hiring the motorhome from the 21st to the 4th November. Just planning on seeing North Island this trip, and both DH and I have interviews (of a sorts) with possible employers.

I've just set up a website to use a blog/tracker if anyone is interested? There's not much on it yet, but I'm adding to it whenever I get a spare 10 minutes.

www.newzealand.moonfruit.com if you want to have a squizz!!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:41 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I've not seen Cow and Gate. Karicare and S26 (whether either of these is made by C&G I don't know) are widely available.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:43 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PatLiz
AngelaandJim - We're flying out on the 16th October, and hiring the motorhome from the 21st to the 4th November. Just planning on seeing North Island this trip, and both DH and I have interviews (of a sorts) with possible employers.

I've just set up a website to use a blog/tracker if anyone is interested? There's not much on it yet, but I'm adding to it whenever I get a spare 10 minutes.

www.newzealand.moonfruit.com if you want to have a squizz!!
wow, wicked site well done, you are a clever girl I could never do anything like put a web page together, lol. Baby alexander is so cute.

All the best and enjy.

Tina. x
Old Sep 18th 2009, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by willand tina_h
wow, wicked site well done, you are a clever girl I could never do anything like put a web page together, lol. Baby alexander is so cute.

All the best and enjy.

Tina. x
Thanks!! Hopefully it'll all be worth it, and not too much of a nightmare crossing!