The Budget 2008

Old May 22nd 2008, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Budget 2008

So anyone impressed? Extra $43 a week if you earn $72k a year
Old May 22nd 2008, 5:59 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Budget 2008

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
So anyone impressed? Extra $43 a week if you earn $72k a year
Nope. But to be honest, i don't honestly know if i would be impressed whoever announced tax cuts, and under any government. I think I would continue to fritter my money away.

I was pleased to see that New Entrant classes are to shrink. However the cynic in me wonders if that is something that either
1) needed to happen anyway or
2) possibly just a glossy type promise which looks nice only.

This one got me. I would love to be able to say "ooh yay, more teacher time per child" but again, the cynic in me wonders HOW that is going to happen.

Not to mention the fact that capital developments at schools is still an expensive thing to do. Even should a new building get built possibly housing an extra NE class, then i would be surprised if it could be built that quickly.

Also, many schools are very pressed for land. Funny really, some country/rural schools have so much land you literally could farm a few sheep and a coupla cows. Other schools (redwood primary in tawa is a prime example, as are the ones around whitby, Churton Park, parts of Lower Hutt etc quite frankly many of the affluent schools actually) have a lot less land available for building rooms. I know it is great that a class size will shrink....but how is that realistically going to happen?
Old May 22nd 2008, 6:00 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Budget 2008

oops bit longer than i was intending to write.

How about:
tax breaks are only good if the money saved are worth it. Not quite sure they are worth it. How do you cut taxes and increase spending? Could be possible but i also think it means that some sort of service is going to go.