Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

BuckBoys NZ observations - moved from - Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

BuckBoys NZ observations - moved from - Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Old Oct 14th 2014, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BuckBoys NZ observations - moved from - Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Originally Posted by calrossi
I like it here,---<snippety poo>-----, just a few ex pats complaining how shite it is, but most like it or obviously they would leave

This could get interesting!

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 14th 2014 at 10:25 pm. Reason: I'm thinking not . :-p - just to snip out the wee comment in the quote
Old Oct 14th 2014, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

pomikiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BuckBoys NZ observations - moved from - Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Originally Posted by Assanah
So my 'moaning' is on a high level but the quality of many things in NZ is very (sic) low compared to Germany and very expensive. You might call this moaning but in fact it is simply the truth.
Can i just say. I get really annoyed when people 'compare' countries. I know it is easy to do, but no one place is the same. EVERY country has issues and some pretty major ones. I think if you decide to live in another country then you need to try YOUR best to settle in. If you dont like it, move on! It's not like you are moving to the slums of india when you move to NZ, its not that hard. The reason NZ is more expensive is because there are only just over 4 million people here OF COURSE everything will be more expensive compared to say the oh 64 million that live in the UK, seriously people get a grip!

I know you are not British and i'm not directing this soley at you. But no wonder we have a reputation of being whinging poms, lol! (i can say that cos im a pom).
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Louiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your post ' The Weezer ' Lately I've been struggling to figure out where the best place is for my family. After 11 or so years in NZ It's hard to see clearly. I found myself agreeing with most of the things you wrote in your post.

Your question whether people would move to a remote place far away from friends and family unless they were going to be better off, was useful for me. Most of the posts I've read who come across as happy with their lot in NZ do seem to be people who are better off than back in the UK.
Moving from the South of England to smallish town NZ for eg. - I can imagine would offer a great lifestyle in comparison. But, for me and my family, in Auckland I have this nagging feeling that however hard we work, we'll never get to live in a ' 3 bed with an outside space' in a nice area, which would not be too difficult in the north of England. I have kept on half believing all the hype that I'm so lucky to be in such a beautiful country, though on a day to day level, I'm not sure that we do anything here that we couldn't do in the UK.

I really like the last part of your post and I'm going to forward it to my Kiwi partner, as it makes a good point.
I'm glad you reached a decision on was best for you and your family and hope we can do the same.

( sorry I'm not sure how to do quotes - I'm new here )

Originally Posted by The Weezer

In my opinion there's a lot of truth to what the OP had to say. I also think some of it is true about many small countries that have a bit of an inferiority complex. Considering its size, remoteness, and relative lack of presence on the world stage, it's to be expected the culture here expresses itself with a bit of a chip on it's shoulder and constant boasting about how they "punch above their weight." The important point is, would you make an incredibly expensive move to a very remote country unless you thought you'd be better off? That the isolation from family, friends, and in fact the rest of the world was worth it? It's good for Kiwis, this is their land, where their family are, so of course it's worth it to them. They don't have to sacrifice so much, and even more important they're inured to the challenges. They tend to expect less and made do with living conditions most of us would find difficult. They don't seem to be overly bothered with the enormous waste of money and energy consumed trying to keep a draughty and damp house warm. Their sense of make do and mend is no different than you'll find in any poorer country. Also, Kiwis and expats who've been in NZ a long time had the advantage of buying homes when they weren't so enormously overpriced.

I've also found that after about a year of living in NZ you tend to forget what life is like on the outside, and you gradually get used to the challenges, and you enjoy the beaches and hikes. You don't realize how easy it is to get out of touch with what's happening in the rest of the world. I've had the good fortune of taking extended trips abroad to see family every year (I'm currently overseas now), and it never fails to surprise me how completely out of touch with the pulse of the greater world I was, living in NZ. You'd have to make a real effort to keep up. What's most unsettling is the realization, in my case anyway, that our lives are not as full when in NZ, comparatively, and this is true for my child as well. There is so much more to life than going to beaches, and so much you can't do in NZ. I understand people often comment that you don't go to NZ if you're looking for city sophistication, which is certainly true, but being able to enjoy beaches, hikes, and less populated and scenic places is not unique to NZ by any stretch. I prefer to have it all - great outdoors, less people, great cities, lots of culture, easy access to other countries, and close to family and friends. That's why we've decided we'd be better off elsewhere.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 2:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by pomikiwi
Can i just say. I get really annoyed when people 'compare' countries. I know it is easy to do, but no one place is the same. EVERY country has issues and some pretty major ones. I think if you decide to live in another country then you need to try YOUR best to settle in. If you dont like it, move on! It's not like you are moving to the slums of india when you move to NZ, its not that hard. The reason NZ is more expensive is because there are only just over 4 million people here OF COURSE everything will be more expensive compared to say the oh 64 million that live in the UK, seriously people get a grip!

I know you are not British and i'm not directing this soley at you. But no wonder we have a reputation of being whinging poms, lol! (i can say that cos im a pom).
Well. Yes. I can take that point. People shouldn't really compare chalk with cheese as it gets all too muddled, however that is human nature and folk will compare country to country in all manner of ways.

The reason that NZ has become a far more expensive country to live in is not down to population size. It is during the last decade it has become more expensive. Population has not altered that much. The reasons for it becoming expensive to live here is complex.

I'm not sure why you have written that it is not that hard to move on if a place of residence (NZ) does not suit given your own indecision over this. As I have stated to you in your other thread, a return to one's country of origin is a huge undertaking and not for the faint hearted at all. Many and most can't just pack up and bugger off for all manner of reasons. It is a life changing decision and one that can take many years to make.

Can I just say that telling people to get a grip isn't really kind is it . After all we don't walk in each other's shoes do we. For some people who have emigrated to NZ ( insert a country) life can have turned out very rocky and hard. Settling can come easily or may be hard & it can take years for some. It is not just about your own effort. It is whether those around you are even interested in making any connection. It is a two way street.

For the record. Kiwis can equally be passed masters at moaning & groaning . Should I call them derisory names ? Or simply accept they may have a valid reason to whinge or just generally be cheesed off that day or maybe simply need to vent in some way. People are people the world over & we all moan at times.

So, can I just say I get right hacked off when someone toddles out the old 'whinging pom' phrase . It's a cop out.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 15th 2014 at 3:07 am. Reason: Left off an 'ed' from passed.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:29 am
`

Originally Posted by dannigirl
but some of the comments get a bit out of hand, although not personal, they generalise and quite frankly infer that all kiwis are all a bit thick.
I hear you Dannigirl, in case it is felt I have passed this by when making the above post.
We none of us like to be stereotyped . Kiwis are not thick & it is not kind to suggest that an entire nation is that way. After all, British people are not all 'chavs' . Americans are not all 'reds under the beds' and not all Russians like oranges.

Originally Posted by Dannigirl
I saw a great quote the other day and it sums it up perfectly for me.

"Men love their country, not because it is great, but because it is their own." Seneca.
You need to feel a sense of belonging , connection and love.

We are all still people. We just are
Old Oct 15th 2014, 4:12 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Kiwis are not thick & it is not kind to suggest that an entire nation is that way.
I'd go one step further and say it's not really that it's unkind as such, but that it's both ignorant and arrogant. But hey, I suspect you are a nicer, gentler soul than me
Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:12 am
`

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I'd go one step further and say it's not really that it's unkind as such, but that it's both ignorant and arrogant. But hey, I suspect you are a nicer, gentler soul than me
You may be right , although I feel I still have some steel in my floppy heart. I just don't like the stereotyping I guess , to put it in a general sorta way. Which does not include my concerns for the issues of the country.

A lovely Kiwi friend of mine who has sinced passed away to bone cancer said that she took people on a case by case basis. As individuals. She could see the nuances and differences that came from a differing background & so we would generalise together but all the same, she just took it person by person.

We met on that and were very good friends . I remain pals with another of her great friends. An American.

Maybe it is that we simply understood & understand the differences & so allowed each other the space to be who we are. That means it will not always be perfect .
Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Brits and Kiwis mostly come from the same gene pool. I think even most Maori are at least 50% Brit originally. And it only goes back 4 or 5 generations. So I think calling Kiwis thick is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black Besides that, so much of the culture is shared. I think thats why Brits gravitate to places like NZ and Oz at the end of the day.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 6:29 am
`

I didn't 'gravitate' at all. Certainly not for that reason. We just felt we could make a change. No more and no less. We've tried it and lived it. We were set for France but took a wrong turn.

I find the culture very different to be honest. Not really shared at all. It is made from those from overseas that came in the much earlier generations and from the Pacifika. I find it quite American in a way.

So how are you with those that also seek to denigrate the British ? The exact same I would hope.

As it happens , one of our best pals is 1/4 Maori & he looks it . In these days that is real quality bloodline. He couldn't give a monkeys about all the stuff some are so precious about. There again he is also 1/4 Scottish. 1/4 Irish and 1/4 English. He lives in the UK and really, he doesn't see all the fuss some of you lot seem to see.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

So how are you with those that also seek to denigrate the British ? The exact same I would hope.
Yep. Of course. Perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying?? I would be the same for peoples of all countries, I believe. My comments were really supposed to be quite benign. Better quit here I think.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 8:35 am
`

Originally Posted by garethwm
Yep. Of course. Perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying?? I would be the same for peoples of all countries, I believe. My comments were really supposed to be quite benign. Better quit here I think.
Nopes. I rarely miss the cue no matter how it may then be cloaked.

No need to be for the off. I rather like a tussle .
Old Oct 15th 2014, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Nopes. I rarely miss the cue no matter how it may then be cloaked.

No need to be for the off. I rather like a tussle .
There is no cloak. I was responding to Dannigirls, bourbon biscuit and your posts about Dannigirl thinking others were calling kiwis thick. I meant for her not to worry because we all come from the same gene pool and anyone calling kiwis thick are saying it about themselves and the same applies vice versa. Then I said that I believe Kiwis and Brits share a lot of culture. I was basing that on the Monarchy, Westminster parliamentary system, food like roast dinners, taste in music, Coro St, British comedy, language, even down to driving on the same side of the road. Then I had a thought that a lot of Brits are drawn to places like Oz and NZ because of these similarities, which I believe to be true.The only other thing I can think of is that you may have seen my pot calling kettle black thing as racist. Apologies if thats the case. I just said it as a phrase in common usage. Would have loved to know what you thought I was meaning. In the meantime I wont be posting anything further regards this.

Last edited by garethwm; Oct 15th 2014 at 9:38 am.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

... And by drawn to Oz and NZ I mean as opposed to other countries like say Italy, even though there are obviously Brits there, But Italy doesnt have its own section on BE. I just posted something else didnt I?
Old Oct 15th 2014, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
Problem is, in Auckland, where she is likely making that salary, you probably can't easily afford a decent house on that income, esp. if you have university debts to pay.

Houses are VERY expensive, especially for what you get. She could buy a cheaper house in a less desirable neighborhood, but she'd be a fool to do it with a 4 year old child. I should know, I've lived in one of those neighborhoods for 10 years, and I would NOT recommend it for people with children. She's knows too, and so do the readers of Stuff.
I can never understatnd why people use earning big money as an excuse to stay there when the money they earn is worth nothing
if you cant afford a house where you are on $100k then you are stupid if you want a nice home and dont move to get it.
she could probably move elsewhere in the country, drop few $k in salary but drop a lot of $k's in house prices
Old Oct 15th 2014, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Bourbon, Dannigirl, and Louise,
Thanks for your comments!

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Give me a cold leaky house and I will fix it not sit and moan to others about it, I had to where I last lived. Sweet as
Hi Stormer, just wanted to say my house is very well insulated and heated and it cost a lot to get it that way. Retrofitting wall insulation and upgrading windows is expensive - especially in New Zealand. People need to know they might need to do the same if they buy a house that's not newly built. Also want to point out that houses that are up to the standard of newly built houses in North America, UK and other parts of Europe are actually pretty rare.

Would you say that people who give honest but less than glowing reviews of products on Amazon are just moaning and they should harden up? You don't agree they can be helpful in deciding which product to buy, or what size, model, etc.

Last edited by The Weezer; Oct 15th 2014 at 5:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.