Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Broadcast TV channels

Broadcast TV channels

Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:08 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Broadcast TV channels

What are they?

We're considering getting rid of our Sky hookup, to save some money. I know it's not a lot, but it's that little bit that might be the make-or-break (same goes for the home phone, barely use it).

Anyway, just curious as to which channels we'd get with the aerial on the roof.

Ta.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:44 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadcast TV channels

We get 1,2,3 and Prime
Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:52 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
We get 1,2,3 and Prime
we get those, plus maori channel
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Does freeview add any more?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:34 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dreamfish
we get those, plus maori channel
plus C4, CTV (which is very random!), Some strange home broadcast channel which seems to be some blokes bad holiday videos, and one for those of you that like to bother God.

My advice find a nice pub and make friends with the staff!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

What about NASA? we can get NASA....its .....well.....ummmm.....what can you say....interesting
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:44 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dustybin
My advice find a nice pub and make friends with the staff!
Not a bad idea, thank you!

Originally Posted by jueinnz
What about NASA? we can get NASA....its .....well.....ummmm.....what can you say....interesting
NASA Channel is broadcast??? We got that via satellite in the US, actually watched it quite a lot, how sad is that?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz

NASA Channel is broadcast??? We got that via satellite in the US, actually watched it quite a lot, how sad is that?
Well we get it, purhaps we got our thingy pionted in the right direction,!!!!!!!!! its not always a great piture

We get an asian channel too, but I don't understand much of what goes on , looks like they are having fun though!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:38 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

When the Freeview terrestrial service launches later this year (supposed to be April) you will be able to get all these channels: http://freeviewnz.tv/index.php?section_id=5

But you'll need to buy a set-top box for a one-off charge of a few hundred dollars, and maybe get your aerial tweaked a bit.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of

Would our freeview work if we brought it with us?

They have really gone down in price now. They are about £25 each now for a basic model.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by banshigirl
Would our freeview work if we brought it with us?

They have really gone down in price now. They are about £25 each now for a basic model.
loads of threads about bringing freeview boxes, and the answer is no they wont

however - my uk tv has a freeview receiver inbuilt. the tv itself can be tweaked for any country - so on that basis i am wondering whether the freeview element of it will work.

at the moment the freeview is received through dishes. i have been quoted anything between $600 and $900 for an all in installation. oh how i larfed.

so i have a coat hanger type aerial, i am able to receive 5 channels - and really, do i want another 100 channels of mind blowing, eyes peeling, cr@p? oh my dear lord.

but if we do 'upgrade' (hahahahahahahaaa ROFL LMAO and all the others) to Freeview then i will wait till the aerial option is out. For our area in wellington, some time this year.

in no hurry.

what you may find is that you spend the first 8 weeks of your life in NZ with no telly cos its on the container, and lots of time out of your rental looking around, that when your telly eventually arrives - actually you're not all that bothered over it. We watch far less telly than we used to,.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:23 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Is ctv the channel which plays german tv and then al jazeera news at night? Very random.

It really depends on where you live as to which channels you get. You are in the Aotea block right? You should be able to get at least tv1, tv2, tv3, prime, music channel (C4?), Maori TV (great for movies – quite random that), ctv (if its that weird one) and probably racing.

Others will depend which repeater or something you get your tv channels off…maybe mt kaukau??

otherwise maybe freeview - i think you get all of the above channels and then some.

Last edited by Kiwiprincess; Feb 17th 2008 at 7:24 pm. Reason: forgot about freeview
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:49 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dreamfish
however - my uk tv has a freeview receiver inbuilt. the tv itself can be tweaked for any country - so on that basis i am wondering whether the freeview element of it will work.
It needs to support a compression method called H.264. Some of the very latest TVs might do this, it should say so in your manual.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by cypherpunk
It needs to support a compression method called H.264. Some of the very latest TVs might do this, it should say so in your manual.
ah yes , the manual.

yet to come across that - box 649....somewhere in the depths of the garage

(but thank you - i will look for an online version)

Last edited by dreamfish; Feb 18th 2008 at 5:00 am. Reason: forgot to say thank you
Old Feb 18th 2008, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it once, oh and then once again, and probably mentioned it a few other times, so I'll say it again, Kiwi telly is cr@p...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.