Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Broadband Providers - Auckland

Broadband Providers - Auckland

Old May 8th 2010, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Broadband Providers - Auckland

Hello,

Hey peeps, hope all is well. Question.
Which broadband provider do people use in Auckland?
Old May 8th 2010, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband Providers - Auckland

i use Orcon and I've been super happy with them
Old May 8th 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pricklykina
i use Orcon and I've been super happy with them
Seem quite expensive compared to Slingshot, do they have an off peak time when you can download outside your limit?

I like the unlimited calling back to the UK (less than an hour) on the Platinum + Package but that is $120 a month.

Slingshot broadband / phone line is $94.90 a month including 500 minutes to use anywhere in NZ + a whole raft of International countries including the UK. (This does use VOIP and requires a VOIP dongle which costs $100 or via a PC).

The best thing is that on this package you get free downloads between 2am and 8am.

Anybody know of a better package?
Old May 8th 2010, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

We also use orcon and have been really happy with them.
Old May 8th 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Depends where in Auckland you are. I'm with orcon, close to an exchange!! I get between 15-20 mbs but pay 70 nzd per month for a 16gb package. On the whole it works well but NZ needs a fast cable to asia and not rely on the dated one to california.
Old May 8th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Am now 100% fed up to the backteeth of the lousy excuse for internet access in NZ, paying a lot of cash for my "broadband" and this morning it has taken me 2 and a half hours to download a 310MB file, was hitting some heady peaks of 0.2kbps download speeds at one point...

Auckland is a bit ahead of the rest of us, but those kind of speeds in the capital city are a bloody joke, alas there is no better alternative in Wellington, and I just live outside the CBD!

It's painfull....
Old May 8th 2010, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like slingshot for reasons that I will not go into on a public forum
Suffice it to say they will never get my hard earned cash for their service
Old May 9th 2010, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Am now 100% fed up to the backteeth of the lousy excuse for internet access in NZ, paying a lot of cash for my "broadband" and this morning it has taken me 2 and a half hours to download a 310MB file, was hitting some heady peaks of 0.2kbps download speeds at one point...

Auckland is a bit ahead of the rest of us, but those kind of speeds in the capital city are a bloody joke, alas there is no better alternative in Wellington, and I just live outside the CBD!

It's painfull....
OUCH! I would consider a vodem stick with those speeds!!
Old May 9th 2010, 5:41 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foxesecho
We also use orcon and have been really happy with them.
Us too. We've got the Platinum and I don't think the $120 is expensive because it includes your line rental ($49 to Telecom if you're paying separately), 25Gb, local and national calls free and up to 59 minutes to a country of your choice free.
Old May 9th 2010, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owen
OUCH! I would consider a vodem stick with those speeds!!
The problem is its so damned unpredictable, some days/nights are fine and you can live stream TV on demand, others it takes ages to even get onto facebook or something...grrrrr
Old May 9th 2010, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.
Seems its a bit of a lottery.
Old May 12th 2010, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

We use Orcon Purple+ without a phone line. Works great for us, get a solid 8mbps in Takapuna. NZ traffic tends to be around 12-13mbps which is great on Orcon because you get unlimited unmetered access to TVNZ OnDemand, so brilliant for catching up on things like Lost etc.
Old May 12th 2010, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
Thanks for the replies.
Seems its a bit of a lottery.
Your other choice is Telecom. They have a phone and internet bundle for about $100 for 10gig per month or $110 for 20gig

Vodafone also offers a package but I dont know anyone who uses them so dont kow how good they are.

I have heard generally good things about Orcon (one advantage is they dont lock you into a long contract). Im with Telecom and its been working fine for me, but i dont use it for online gaming, downloading lots of movies etc.
Old May 13th 2010, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

It's painfull....
Bloody hell. Are u sure you not on dialup?

I am with Snap, NakedDSL Plan. And very happy with it. I am also in Wellington. You should switch
Old May 13th 2010, 6:19 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

It's painfull....
I'd check your download speed here

And then check to see if you have any port blocking by your ISP, here

I have 14 meg unlimited download but my ISP keeps blocking some of the ports that P2P software uses, this then gives the results you're experiencing.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.