Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Broadband and phone providers

Broadband and phone providers

Old Jul 24th 2007, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Broadband and phone providers

Can anyone point me in the direction of cheap, unlimited broadband and a good telephone provider please ?!

I'd rather have personal recommendation than get ripped off by going with first one I find

Thanks

Michelle x
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:17 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband and phone providers

We use Telecom for phone & Slingshot for internet.

We pay $49.95 for each of them. Telecom do a special on international calls to UK, $5 for up to 2 hours per call.

HTH
xxxx
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Can anyone point me in the direction of cheap, unlimited broadband and a good telephone provider please ?!

I'd rather have personal recommendation than get ripped off by going with first one I find

Thanks

Michelle x
Hi
Guys
Sorry there is no such thing in NZ, they all rip you off especially the phone charges.
Watch out for the unlimited usage claim, most of them reserve the right to limit your download speed in the small print.
Good luck
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Michelle x
we use telstra clear , but i don't think you can get it on North shore......sorry
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Michelle x
We use Telecom for both, find them expensive though, we are paying twice what we were in the UK & we hardly use the phone, we never phone the UK.
Oh & when something go's wrong they are really poor at troubleshooting.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:37 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Michelle - hate to say it but we have telecom - not good value but my employer said that they use it for remote working, so I signed up, then they refused to pay for it.....ggrrrr....
Also Telecom will not offer unlimited any more - got their fingers burned on that one. You can get quite a lot of Gigs but most of the higher plans revert to pay per Gig after you reach the agreed limit and that makes it very expensive, Ian
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:43 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lardyl
Michelle - hate to say it but we have telecom - not good value but my employer said that they use it for remote working, so I signed up, then they refused to pay for it.....ggrrrr....
Also Telecom will not offer unlimited any more - got their fingers burned on that one. You can get quite a lot of Gigs but most of the higher plans revert to pay per Gig after you reach the agreed limit and that makes it very expensive, Ian
We also are with Telecom, phone is really expensive IMHO? And we pay about $40/mth for Broadband for the minimum usage - which by week 3 in the month they email us to say we've used 80%? BUT - they don't charge you if you go over, they reduce your speed to dial up - which in 2 months hasn't actually happened yet! It was very easy and efficient to set up too. And that's running a laptop and a PC with 5 users.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:53 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We also are with Telecom, phone is really expensive IMHO? And we pay about $40/mth for Broadband for the minimum usage - which by week 3 in the month they email us to say we've used 80%? BUT - they don't charge you if you go over, they reduce your speed to dial up - which in 2 months hasn't actually happened yet! It was very easy and efficient to set up too. And that's running a laptop and a PC with 5 users.
I agree that it is expensive, I have the bb package that is almost at the level where they charge you by the Mb if you go over the agreed limit - mine just goes back to 56k speed, which is OK but not much good for my work connection. Teach me to download all that, erm, erm, stuff........
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Michelle x
Hi
We use xtra (fast speed? my arse!) However for phone, I use a phone card - go-talk, for international calls its pretty cheap and you can top up from home once you have the first card.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:36 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap broadband? In NZ?

We use Orcon, who have given significantly better service and speeds than Xtra did.

They're going to offer naked DSL next month, so you can get broadband without paying rental on a phone line, which is kinda cool. Should be interesting to see what packages they offer.

We currently pay $69.95 a month for a 30Gb plan, download speed as fast as the line will go, 128k upload, plus $38 to Telecom for the line rental.

That's with a $10 discount for using Orcon for toll calls (which we use less than $1 a month of )
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Landlady called us with Telecom bill ....

She said we had Unlimited! Unlimited in New Zealand clearly does NOT mean the same as Unlimited in the UK !!!!!

Carl is in the dog house! BIG style. Needless to say we WON'T be going with Telecom .... he should be a Director of Telecom after what we've just had to pay them!

Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:55 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

I use World exchange www.xnet.co.nz after having xtra and slingshot they have been the most reliable and flexible even the toll calls cost cheaper depite these so called specials by Telecom.

Thee pluses to World Exchange
1, You do not have to have a 12 month Contract
2, you do not have to pay a extra $10 because you dont have them as a Toll call provider.
3, You Pay a base fee and only pay for the Data usage each month, none of this paying for a block of 10GB in advance then being throttled back to dial up speed (actually its 64kb which is faster just than dial up) You control the usage.

Best advice find the websites and look closely at the packages they offer, some look good but fall over somewhere else.
I pay $26.95 per month and then pay for my data usage on top last month that was less than $3, I am on a 256k plan which is good enough for us but could pay extra $5 for unlimited speed which to be honest in our area we are lucky to get faster than 2.5 even though we are 100m from the exchange.

Truth be told all plans go slower during peak times due to demand and thats from a Telephone Engineer.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:05 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Landlady called us with Telecom bill ....

She said we had Unlimited! Unlimited in New Zealand clearly does NOT mean the same as Unlimited in the UK !!!!!

Carl is in the dog house! BIG style. Needless to say we WON'T be going with Telecom .... he should be a Director of Telecom after what we've just had to pay them!

Yeah, Telecom additional usage works out something like $100 per 5Gb compared to Orcon's $10 per 5Gb
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:42 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

We get 3GB a month with slingshot and then can pay $5 for another 3Gb if we need to, which we will if I keep downloading Steve Wright on podcast!!

Oh and those that know me, (you know who you are!! HE already knows!

( however, he DIDN'T know how much I've posted on here, Thanks )
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:26 am
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Using Ihug for phone and web. only prob is when Telecom is buggering about with the lines, everyone gets buggered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.