Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Broadband and mobile... in preparation!

Broadband and mobile... in preparation!

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future
Default Broadband and mobile... in preparation!

Hi peeps

So I'm currently thinking about mobile broadband and mobile phone for when I arrive.

We currently both use an iPhone 3GS which we'll be bringing over with us when we come (they're unlocked). I'm looking for average minutes and texts, and of course a good data allowance - a sim only plan. I don't mind signing up to a contract. Which provider is the best value for money?

Regarding mobile broadband... assuming the provider doesnt let you tether the connection, which dongle and PAYG provider is best? Would my 3G dongle from the UK work (with a NZ mobile broadband dongle).

Thank,
Rick
Old Jun 4th 2011, 1:10 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband and mobile... in preparation!

Originally Posted by rick78
Hi peeps

So I'm currently thinking about mobile broadband and mobile phone for when I arrive.

We currently both use an iPhone 3GS which we'll be bringing over with us when we come (they're unlocked). I'm looking for average minutes and texts, and of course a good data allowance - a sim only plan. I don't mind signing up to a contract. Which provider is the best value for money?

Regarding mobile broadband... assuming the provider doesnt let you tether the connection, which dongle and PAYG provider is best? Would my 3G dongle from the UK work (with a NZ mobile broadband dongle).

Thank,
Rick
I think you need Simonsi for those answers....I'm sure he'll be along soon!
Old Jun 4th 2011, 5:58 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend 2 degrees for both, however they only offer mobile broadband in certain areas so you need to check their website. I found them very helpful on the phone and they talked me through how to set up my telecom t-stick (dongle) to access 2 degrees) - didn't work but that wasn't actually their fault - I think I have a problem with my laptop. Very helpful though. I seem to remember the dongle is free if you sign up to a package - need to check that.

http://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/home

I originally signed up for Vodaphone mobile broadband as they had a special deal on at the time and, while their coverage is better than 2 degrees, in my case I was in a black spot so I sent it all back. No hassle from them about it.

One thing I found when I signed up for a contract at Vodaphone, they do a credit check and it took all night to come through (presumably due to the time difference). Was OK in the end though.

I'm now signed up to broadband via the phone line and use the Telecom stick on a pre-pay basis when I need it. It's quite expensive otherwise.

Hope that helps
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

Thanks for heads up... will have a look in preparation for our move...

Cheers.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

I brought my unlocked phone from the UK, popped in a 2 degrees pay as you go sim and was good to go.

We also bought a 2 degrees dongle and it does the job just fine. In fact, it's faster than our Sky broadband was in Scotland!

In the longer term we'll get broadband, but I found 2 degrees to be MUCH cheaper than Vodafone and the customer service is great.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:26 am
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute

Can I sing the praises of 2 degrees too??? Spot on reception/coverage (I am based down in Invercargill) and very good customer services.

I landed in NZ all by my little self, I bought a sim in Auckland airport and away I went. Just brilliant.