Reload this Page >

broadband internet

broadband internet

Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

fitzandindiana is on a distinguished road
Default broadband internet

Hi
We use the internet alot in the UK, infact i don't think it's ever switched off!!
Will we have a problem in nz with broadband connections, we also download alot of programmes and do lots of buying on either e bay or internet shops, does anyone have any problems with this?
Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: broadband internet

In NZ they ASDL broadband internet. You cannot get home internet service delivered over a fiberoptic system, at least I don't know of any area where this is possible. As we are in an older area at the moment and may be too far from the exchange, and perhaps there are too many users, anyway, we find it slow and annoying. We are hoping for an improvement after we move.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

It can very much depend on who you are with. Friends of ours are with Telecom and they say it's crap, we're in the same area and use orcon and can't complain, better than the service i had in the UK.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Your comment reminds me of another thread, in fact one I had started. Your provider was mentioned as being good and had a test speed page on its website that was referenced.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:36 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
It can very much depend on who you are with. Friends of ours are with Telecom and they say it's crap, we're in the same area and use orcon and can't complain, better than the service i had in the UK.
We used Orcon in Hamilton after not being particulary impressed with Telecom. But once I moved here, I signed up with Telecom again as they were offering 2 months free if you subscribed via the internet. In spite of myself, I have to say their service has been first class this time round.

Last edited by karonious; Jan 12th 2008 at 8:46 am.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:40 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

They're still building our suburb, and we can't get regular DSL / wireless broadband until they're done building the area as Telecom aren't even going to put in the exchanges needed for the whole suburb until it's completed. So we have 3/4 years to wait, with the snail's pace they build here.

So we got mobile broadband instead from Telecom. It's a card that slots into the side of our laptop, and wherever we can get a mobile signal, we can use the card and a CD for installation if we need it. No problem with the speed etc.

To hear my MIL (in the US) talk, you'd think we banged on drums to communicate. Oh, and we all live in mud huts too, doncha know.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz
Oh, and we all live in mud huts too, doncha know.
Mud huts???..........NZ moved onto wooden sheds year ago
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:51 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niseysOH
Mud huts???..........NZ moved onto wooden sheds year ago
OK ya got me there!
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:56 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

We are on Broadband with Slingshot, no complaints so far & we've been with them for 9 months or so
Old Jan 12th 2008, 9:01 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

NZ$9.95 dial-up 'cos I is a cheap bastard!
Old Jan 12th 2008, 9:02 am
Maz

Originally Posted by happynz
Old Jan 12th 2008, 9:06 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
That's why we love you
Old Jan 12th 2008, 9:57 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

We WERE with Telecom We got a couple of letters from them saying they'd determined our speed wasn't up to scratch and we could revert to dial-up if we wanted because we were either too far from the exchange - nooooo - OR there was a fault on the line - so why don't you fix it then??? Anyway, changed to Orcon, they determined there WAS a fault on the line and had Telecom here two days later fixing it. There isn't a self-satisfied smilie It's been great ever since. Orcon are cheaper too and you get to talk to a real live person with hardly any waiting time when you call them - of course the more they get recommended the longer the waiting time will be I suppose???
Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

I just wish we could not call the service here broadband. I don't think that the term describes the service. As many of you know, we were in Canada before coming here. Broadband is referred to there as a service delivered over a fiber optic cable and costs about $45 per month. ASDL, is what comes over copper wire and allows you to make a phone call and use the internet at the same time. It is a much slower service and so is priced at $20 to $25 per month. For me this is one of the frustrations of living here, paying for something like this that is not worth the price. I for one fine that the price/value proposition is often out of balance here. Though apples are still a deal.