Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

brits returning to NZ

brits returning to NZ

Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: brits returning to NZ

Originally Posted by kooch
hi all.........
just a quick note to those interested in the few people that leave there home in the uk to make a new life in new zealand and go back to the uk again, and then return to NZ.
we lived in nz for over 5 years until such time we felt we had to come back to the uk, in the time we were in nz we were very fortunate to get our citizenship and we now have our nz passports so we are able to reurn to nz whenever we want to, as it happens we have decided after being in the uk for a year and also delt with our issues here as for why we came back, have decided we are going back to nz which is where we call home. Even though we live in cornwall which is a very nice place to live, feel that this country has got too many problems (and im not talking about the weather). theres not a lot i dont know about living in nz but i had forgotten about the reasons i left the UK, .................. until now !!Dont think about it, just do it !
LOL We have been toying with the idea of returning, every time we get near to returning I get cold feet!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:45 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Ho Ho Ho

Which side kick are you Mutley?
Don't take offense......I just like peoples different sense of humour.....or in some cases lack of it....
Old Jan 28th 2010, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gags
This is the thing with us...OH wants to rent our house out to then use it as an escape route incase things don't work out over there. In my eyes the lifestyle won't really happen until we can have some money to bring with us and if we can't go back we have to make it happen in nz. I do believe in the words 'you can never go back'. But I do also see his logical point of view. I am usually the 'lets do it!' and he is usually the realist.
As the saying goes 'the grass is always greener...' until you get there. We only seem to remember the good bits and forget the reasons why we wanted to leave in the first place.
Hi
The biggest regret I have is selling my 5 bed detached house in the UK. Worst move ever cos when we did come back we r renting and having to start all over again. I didn't have the house to come back to but it didn't stop me coming back to the UK.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 3:20 pm
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
Hi
The biggest regret I have is selling my 5 bed detached house in the UK. Worst move ever cos when we did come back we r renting and having to start all over again. I didn't have the house to come back to but it didn't stop me coming back to the UK.
That's worried me abit because we will be leaving a 5 bed in a road that has taken us years to be able to live in. That is why he is reluctant to let that go
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gags
That's worried me abit because we will be leaving a 5 bed in a road that has taken us years to be able to live in. That is why he is reluctant to let that go
we went in 07 and if we had sold before we went, i know we would still be there, even my wife says the same,
when your in a rental, you cant do anything hang pic , unless there is a place how ever long you stay in that rental you should leave it as you found it more so if you want your bond back,

even if you sell now you can buy a place for half the money you sell yours for and then bank the rest, and hopefully it will make you some money
nz is coming out of recession, but they never had it as bad as UK now is the time to buy as in a year prices will start going up again, and if you do decide to come back you can still afford your five bed house give it you all and it might just work, hope this helps
Old Jan 28th 2010, 5:49 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

stormer medal is in the post

now then stop talking and.....

STOP THAT PIDGEON ,STOP THAT PIDGEON STOP THAT PIDGEON NOW

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

kooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to all

I think there are a few of you missing the point,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
i left the uk in 03 and was in nz for 5 years, in that time i/we had experienced the other side of life and you do forget the reasons you left in the first place even though sometimes you will not admit it. yes ! it can be quite expensive in nz but after being back in the uk this has turned around as its an absolute jokw here now, yes the weather here is pants almost all the time but the main thing is that the family life here suffers a lot as we dont spend the quality time we used to in nz, that itself is priceless. I for one wished i didnt come back however in the same note do not regret it as we had several reasons for the return, we are now looking forward to our return home, this home is New Zealand. after all we are nz citizens now. In summary my advice to any brit wanting out of nz but cant afford the ' trip home to make sure we are doing the right thing' is to find the money some how as it will be money worth spending

Last edited by kooch; Feb 2nd 2010 at 11:01 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 11:13 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

LOL We have been toying with the idea of returning, every time we get near to returning I get cold feet!
must be the lack of convenience foods!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:11 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you! I think it takes guts to give it a second go (but then I would, wouldn't I ). Just be clear about what you didn't like last time and try and find somewhere that rectifies that as best as possible!!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:18 am
Just Joined

HarryTheVet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Well I for one can't wait to get out of NZ!!!

It's sold as a life style place, more like poor wages and slave labour. Life back in the UK had a lot more variety than Canterbury, which is backward and boring.

Certain things are better in NZ weather and less congestion. People come here expecting a major change but it's the same old shit different bucket. Ok you might have a bigger colder house but that an't the be all and end all.

So expensive as well, evidence in link.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10622551
Oh, I totally agree. It is rough as, crime is RAMPANT (during my 30-odd years in the UK I've never seen as much crime, especially violent crime, as I have seen in 3 1/2 years here. There's nothing to do except drink and have BBQ's. The weather is marginally better than where I used to live (Cornwall). Wages are meagre. They horrendously over-egg the tourist pudding; it's not that spectacular here. It pales in comparison to Tanzania or Canada. In fact, it looks not unlike the UK! Man, I am over it. Britain is still a festering turd-pool though, so I think Ozzy might be my next port of call unless UKIP or the BNP suddenly win an election.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
must be the lack of convenience foods!
Not just convenience foods, lots of other things as u probably have read
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:29 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

Just show's how living in a particular place in either here or the UK can skew a view point one way or the other.

Tells me that all opinions are valid but also that they are just that opinions.

I havn't got a clue where some of you live in NZ or back in the UK but all I can say is I have NEVER seen violence here on the street (NZ) nor come across what some on here seem to on a daily basis and yet when in London I saw plenty of crime,was caught up sorting out gangs of 40 plus outside our flats,heard ploice sirens every min of the day and so on.

Must have been a sheltered place to spen 30 years in the UK without any of that and goes to show how different things can be.

george
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

HarryTheVet is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the hell-hole that is Palmerston North. I've been over most of the North Island though, and outside of white, middle-class or rural areas, it is really, really rough. I haven't been to the South Island yet, and I'm told it's like a different country. ..
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:36 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Not just convenience foods, lots of other things as u probably have read
Should I have put a with my last remark? It was meant to be humorous!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

kooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to all

For people thinking there is no crime in nz are either naive or blind as no matter where you are in the world you will find crime on all different scales, however crime rates is not a major factor in my life, its the serious lack of quality time we are experiencing here in the uk. it seems the british people that have not experienced life yet are mainly interested in the material parts of life, how big your house is/how expensive your car is/ the size of your new LCD tv etc etc etc, in nz there is no class distinction amongst the kiwi folk. as long as you like rugby...lol.
going back to nz after s stint here in the uk is only a financial hiccup, the decision was very easy........................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.