Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

British and wanting to move

British and wanting to move

Old May 23rd 2018, 11:49 am
Just Joined

SLMorris87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile British and wanting to move

I have a lot to ask D: so I hope you can help me. I've never done anything like this before, never moved to another country so I am a complete noob. I'm currently living in the west midlands of England and going to college to be able to run my own businesses, but I want to try 1-2 years in New Zealand with my family.

I don't know if this possible. So after those 1-2 years, and if we decide we want to become New Zealand Citizens and live there permanently... what documents would I need to get, and where from? Sorry if I sound really dumb lol. Like I said, I've never done this, but I really want to give my family a much better life.

Is New Zealand cheaper than England also? I heard it is. Over here we currently rent a 3 bedroomed home which is roughly £300 a month, so would we be able to get something like that in New Zealand?

Also, what is the weather like? I'm not a fan of extreme heat. I like it mild, and I love the beach.

I'm willing to even live in a type of caravan if there are options there for that too. Doesn't need to be a house really, long as it can hold about 6-11 people. Depending on who can come over with me.

I also need to know how healthcare works there, and if there are any colleges I can do online. Also, how would I go about my medication? I'm on 20 mg citalopram for my depression and panic disorder.

Other things I'd like to know...
  • Internet providers? what companies are there and how much is it to install?
  • Are there supermarkets that can sell British food?
  • Are you allowed to purchase items from Britain/America from Ebay still?
I just need to know every little detail really as I am so used to being here in England.
Old May 23rd 2018, 12:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British and wanting to move

Currently midnight in NZ so you'll likely not get much sense out of them ( ) for a while. In the meantime for immigration information, check out the Immi Wiki pages here as well as NZ Immi Forum here.
Old May 23rd 2018, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

LOL Oh yeah, I forgot about different time zones xD I'm a dork. Thank you will take a look at them now.
Old May 23rd 2018, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I should already be asleep as it's gone midnight and my coach has returned to being a pumpkin.
I suggest you look at the NZ immigration website to find out more about getting a visa firstly. I don't find NZ cheaper than the UK. Cost of living is high and wages are low. Cost of housing/renting will depend on where you are based. Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch are the main cities and housing/rental costs are higher than in smaller towns as a rule.
NZ has a maritime climate, so the weather is changeable. The country is just slightly larger than the UK, so think in terms of the range of weather you would get from comparing John O' Groats to Land's End and various places in between. It varies depending on where you are.

You pay to see the GP, for repeat prescriptions, for prescriptions, vaccinations, dental care etc. I don't have kids so someone else will fill you in on free healthcare were applicable for them. Citalopram is available here on prescription. Depending on what sort of visa you go for will determine if you need medical clearance for your condition.
How old are you? What do you do? What qualifications have you got? How many dependent children have you got? I'm not being nosy, just the more information you provide us with, then the more we can help you.

I suggest that you need to do far more research on New Zealand. There are costs around schooling to factor in......uniform, books, voluntary school fees that don't seem to be that voluntary, school trips etc.
It's a very beautiful country and there's lots to recommend it. Some great beaches, really stunning. Just checking that you know that it's called the shaky isles because of the numerous earthquakes NZ experiences. The majority being classed as weak or light but then there are those that have done a lot of damage and caused a loss of life eg Christchurch. Wellington is well overdue the big one. The north island is more prone to volcanic activity.
Right I'm tired and I'm rambling so time for me to sleep. Get busy reading!
Old May 23rd 2018, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for replying to me even though you're definitely supposed to be asleep by now O_O my family won't want to live in any cities as we're used to living in a village outside of nearest cities in our area where everything is within walking distance, so it will be smaller towns and things, or quiet little areas by a beach if possible? I don't know. I've never been to New Zealand, but I had heard about many Brits moving there and loving it which is why I would love to try it out.

That is brilliant. So I could definitely, hopefully, keep getting the medication that I am currently taking.

I'm 30 years old (will be 31 in July), I'm currently doing nothing at the moment as I'm trying to get back into college. I would have gotten it done years ago but was too ill/sick with depression and everything that I'm still being treated for. I don't have any qualifications other than I.T which I did at college for two years, and I worked for a phone company once. I have no children and don't really plan on having any.

Holy moly lol. I did know it had one volcano, but I wasn't sure about earthquakes. I don't think my mum would like that lol. So which would be the safer areas (if any) in a small town?

Sleep well. I will definitely be doing a lot of research, and I won't be moving until another couple of years probably. Is there any business opportunities there to open up a livery yard for horses? or where I can buy a caravan type park to rent out to people wanting to go on holiday there. (( I'm thinking it's like England lol. Sorry if you don't have any of the things I mention/ask about/for. ))
Old May 23rd 2018, 1:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SLMorris87
Holy moly lol. I did know it had one volcano, but I wasn't sure about earthquakes. I don't think my mum would like that lol.
Do you not remember this one? It was all over the news in the UK.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_C...rch_earthquake

Don't think your Mum can go with your on your visa anyway, so that might solve that one!

Good luck with the move, the NZ bods are a helpful lot and will no doubt help you figure it all out.
Old May 23rd 2018, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

I don't really watch TV, but wow... 185 people killed? that's so sad.

lol True :P she changed her mind the second I mentioned earthquakes and volcano. So we're now looking into Canada or Scandinavia Shame really, because I have seen and heard NZ is a gorgeous place.

I have a boyfriend currently in America who I would need to marry if I was to move to the US (We've planned itt all but not where to live since he doesn't want to leave America, and I don't really want to leave England, I would for him, though.) It would be a huge cultural jump, but for him... it would be worth it. I just... I'm going to focus on college for now and see where life takes me during each day as they come.

Then I'll figure out if I want to actually move or not. I mean, I do... but it's just working out whats best since I am so used to how my country is run.

Last edited by SLMorris87; May 23rd 2018 at 8:48 pm.
Old May 23rd 2018, 9:19 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

with no qualifications behind you you will find it difficult to emigrate anywhere to be honest.
Concentrate on getting yourself well. all the best
Old May 23rd 2018, 9:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

So we're now looking into Canada or Scandinavia
Forget Canada if you want to bring your mother with you. You could only bring a spouse and/or dependent children, no other family members. You could potentially sponsor her further down the line once you're living there, but you're looking at a number of years before that would happen, so if moving with her is important to you, Canada isn't the place for you.

Although ditto the US of course!

Good luck with wherever you decide to go.
Old May 23rd 2018, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
with no qualifications behind you you will find it difficult to emigrate anywhere to be honest.
Concentrate on getting yourself well. all the best
Oh, I know. Thank you. xx

"Forget Canada if you want to bring your mother with you. You could only bring a spouse and/or dependent children, no other family members. You could potentially sponsor her further down the line once you're living there, but you're looking at a number of years before that would happen, so if moving with her is important to you, Canada isn't the place for you.

Although,
ditto the US of course!

Good luck with wherever you decide to go."

Thank you to you too :P I definitely know it'll be years from now, so need to worry at the moment about any of it.
Old May 23rd 2018, 9:38 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really watch TV, but wow... 185 people killed? that's so sad.

lol True :P she changed her mind the second I mentioned earthquakes and volcano. So we're now looking into Canada or Scandinavia Shame really, because I have seen and heard NZ is a gorgeous place.

I have a boyfriend currently in America who I would need to marry if I was to move to the US (We've planned itt all but not where to live since he doesn't want to leave America, and I don't really want to leave England, I would for him, though.) It would be a huge cultural jump, but for him... it would be worth it. I just... I'm going to focus on college for now and see where life takes me during each day as they come.

Then I'll figure out if I want to actually move or not. I mean, I do... but it's just working out whats best since I am so used to how my country is run.
Hiya. Sorry, gonna put some hard truths your way.

Where ever you wish to emigrate to, you wont be able to bring your extended family with you.

You need to be employed in a "skilled profession" with a decent employment history and/or have a University Degree, to apply for work related visas.

Having a "online relationship" does not hold much weight, than actually living with someone in a relationship, as far as immigration is concerned.

Scandinavia is a difficult region to live and work in. You must learn the local language, before you get to have even the most basic of jobs (I know I lived there).

What you can do is apply for a BUNAC visa for NZ, this allows you to live and work here for up to a year (shame you just missed out on a WHV).
Old May 23rd 2018, 11:57 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I have a lot to ask D: so I hope you can help me. I've never done anything like this before, never moved to another country so I am a complete noob. I'm currently living in the west midlands of England and going to college to be able to run my own businesses, but I want to try 1-2 years in New Zealand with my family.

I don't know if this possible. So after those 1-2 years, and if we decide we want to become New Zealand Citizens and live there permanently... what documents would I need to get, and where from? Sorry if I sound really dumb lol. Like I said, I've never done this, but I really want to give my family a much better life.

Is New Zealand cheaper than England also? I heard it is. Over here we currently rent a 3 bedroomed home which is roughly £300 a month, so would we be able to get something like that in New Zealand?

Also, what is the weather like? I'm not a fan of extreme heat. I like it mild, and I love the beach.

I'm willing to even live in a type of caravan if there are options there for that too. Doesn't need to be a house really, long as it can hold about 6-11 people. Depending on who can come over with me.

I also need to know how healthcare works there, and if there are any colleges I can do online. Also, how would I go about my medication? I'm on 20 mg citalopram for my depression and panic disorder.

Other things I'd like to know...
  • Internet providers? what companies are there and how much is it to install?
  • Are there supermarkets that can sell British food?
  • Are you allowed to purchase items from Britain/America from Ebay still?
I just need to know every little detail really as I am so used to being here in England.
Based on what you have posted I'd say it isn't possible. You appear to have no skills, work or experience that would enable you to uplift a visa, the concept of bringing an extended family doesn't exist, if you are reliant on the family, social security benefits etc to pay your bills now then that simply can't transfer to NZ (or anywhere else I can think of). You have a medical history to deal with and a relationship that NZ Immigration will view very sceptically.

As a first step this is one case where I would recommend going to an immigration show and asking a lot of questions, the stands there are normally optimistic and will tease out a route to a visa if you have one - just don't hand over any money. Once you have established whether you have any route here, that might be the time to worry about ISPs and food.