Reload this Page >

British pipefitters in NZ

British pipefitters in NZ

Old Mar 14th 2022, 8:13 am
Just Joined

lambo1602 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British pipefitters in NZ

Hello
just wondering if any other british pipefitters have made the move to NZ and as to how easy it is to find employment in similar roles, also is it like aus where a skills assessment is needed to be able to secure employment? If anyone can help with some information that would be appreciated.
many thanks
Old Mar 21st 2022, 3:10 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British pipefitters in NZ

Hi & welcome. I think the best thing would be to sign up to Canstaff and have a chat with them. They have helped lots of tradies come over from the UK, from my understanding.
Old May 12th 2022, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

johnchen1894 is an unknown quantity at this point

also have you checked to see if you occupation is listed?
Old May 12th 2022, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi, I’m a nurse so I’m assuming my occupation is listed but just seeing how difficult it would be for my partner to find work
Old May 12th 2022, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, what does a pipe fitter do. Is it like a plumber or gas fitter ??
Old May 13th 2022, 5:20 am
Just Joined

Oh gosh now your asking a question ha, so he installs large industrial pipes in zoos, schoolsX pharmaceutical plants, hospitals etc…..official qualification from college is heating and ventilation
Old May 13th 2022, 6:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
Out of curiosity, what does a pipe fitter do. Is it like a plumber or gas fitter ??
It is far more commercial. Larger buildings I suppose. Infrastructure. However it is a watery / gaseous trade. Also air con.
Old May 13th 2022, 6:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by lambo1602
Hello
just wondering if any other british pipefitters have made the move to NZ and as to how easy it is to find employment in similar roles, also is it like aus where a skills assessment is needed to be able to secure employment? If anyone can help with some information that would be appreciated.
many thanks

Hi there . Sorry a bit late to the party. I don't look in BE like I used to.

As a nurse, you will be much in demand as you know. I have briefly skimmed the forthcoming immy visa policy changes but it looks to still be OK for you .

Pipefitter : I feel you should email the PGDB at [email protected] in the first instance. They will not assess your OH's quals but they will be helpful in pointing you to how the skills assessment currently works. Answer is yes, he will need an initial skill qual and work exp assessment. That happens via NZQA but do have the chat with the PGDB of NZ first.

Now. This depends on his overseas UK quals and the level of that but if the quals will match that of NZ ( that means being an all rounder in terns of the trade quals) , it could be him as main applicant as plumbers have made the new immigration 'green list' .

Pipefitters are more normally for commercial structures. You want to be looking at where those buildings are happening or being maintained. For instance, Nelson is looking to build a brand new hospital and I know that IMB have that contract. They might be interested in a pipefitter for long enough for you to gain residency. Other areas of NZ will be operating in the same way.

As mentioned you can chat with the likes of Canstaff but please do not feel pushed by them. Come back and talk areas. There is and will be work for pipefitters so you will need to plonk down in an area where commercial buildings are happening as much of New Zealand is small town.