British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   British Forces Post offices in NZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/british-forces-post-offices-nz-533435/)

dreamfish Apr 30th 2008 9:42 pm

British Forces Post offices in NZ?

Hello

I want to be able to send a package to a BFPO address on operation.

The conversation with the pleb at the post office yesterday went something like this:

Me - I would like to send this package to a British Forces address
Plebus - Where is it going?
Me - erm, well they are on operation, but I imagine the parcel will go to London for sorting
Plebus - yes but where is it going
Me - To an operation and I dont wish to discuss the details.
Plebus - well is it going to Auckland?
Me - er
Plebus - well I cant imagine its going south.
Me - er, well I am not entirely sure what route it will take out NZ...erm
Plebus - well I need to know where it's going
Me - understandably. Shall we say London then?
Plebus - well I will give you a price for Auckland.
Me - :blink:

Needless to say this convo left me wondering whether it would ever find its way out of NZ at all.

Are there any British Forces bases in Wellington area from which I could send this package? Also, it being under 2kg, can be sent for free :D

Many thanks, Kate.

kwprwn Apr 30th 2008 9:48 pm

Re: British Forces Post offices in NZ?

Is it because the sending to BFPO can only be sent from UK (may be wrong )o it doesnt apply if you want to send it from anywere else in the world ...this may not make sense...the sending to BFPO may only be from uk post offices, so only applies to royal mail

dreamfish Apr 30th 2008 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by kwprwn (Post 6289862)
Is it because the sending to BFPO can only be sent from UK (may be wrong )o it doesnt apply if you want to send it from anywere else in the world ...this may not make sense...the sending to BFPO may only be from uk post offices, so only applies to royal mail

I'm not entirely sure
I just read on the australia forum that I need to write 'BFPO care of London' or something to that effect.

On the BFPO site it says that outside of UK I can send from a BFPO office all over the world. Doesnt actually list where they all are though.

Think I might check out a different post office and see how we get on :S

kwprwn Apr 30th 2008 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 6289869)
I'm not entirely sure
I just read on the australia forum that I need to write 'BFPO care of London' or something to that effect.

On the BFPO site it says that outside of UK I can send from a BFPO office all over the world. Doesnt actually list where they all are though.

Think I might check out a different post office and see how we get on :S

true...you could just have a pleb at that one

teebrown May 1st 2008 8:26 am

BFPO around the world are usually sited within a Bristish garrison or det, if you are posting it from NZ, they wont have any British Post offices only NZ ones, so you will have to write London on the address and it should be sent to Mill HIll when it arrives in this country, and because you are outside UK I am almost sure you have to pay for the package.

Hope this helps.