Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

British Food in NZ

British Food in NZ

Old Oct 16th 2006, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all
Default Re: British Food in NZ

Originally Posted by Batty
For people who don't like the 'crinkle cut' crisps (I don't either) the Delissio (sp) range are light and really nice.
I'll second that....
Old Oct 16th 2006, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
I'll second that....
Hey all you people still in UK...The most amazing thing I discovered is that you can get a freshly cooked take away roast dinner (your choice of meat and veggies) for $5 from the Chip shop (yes I have had one or two!!!!)
Old Oct 16th 2006, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

donscbr6 is an unknown quantity at this point

The NZ cookbook bible is the Edmonds Cookbook. It lists absolutely everything, Anzac biscuits, lasagne, pavalova, etc etc. Been around for almost 100 years, almost as old as NZ itself!
Old Oct 16th 2006, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Batty
For people who don't like the 'crinkle cut' crisps (I don't either) the Delissio (sp) range are light and really nice. Although.... I read lately that one (small) packet of crisps a day is the equivalent to drinking 4 litres of cooking oil a year Now I know why I've lost weight since I got here. Seriously. I hardly ever eat crisps now and it was quite common for me to eat 2 packs at a time before I came here. And I've dropped a dress size.

There's nothing wrong with craving something that you've been used to. It doesn't mean you're not adapting to your new home. This is the fourth country I've lived in and I miss things from all of the other three. I had a moment recently where I'd have given anything to be able to buy a M&S meal. Not for the taste of it - just the convenience. It doesn't have any deep hidden meaning though. Just that I couldn't be bothered cooking and didn't want a takeaway
I like the delisio ones as well except for the garlic and tzatziki ones(the light green coloured bag) they were too strong for me

I wish i could drop a dress size, too much fondness of crisps and alcohol, I actually dont eat crisps other than when I drink beer
Old Oct 16th 2006, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Hey all you people still in UK...The most amazing thing I discovered is that you can get a freshly cooked take away roast dinner (your choice of meat and veggies) for $5 from the Chip shop (yes I have had one or two!!!!)
when I first read this, I thought you had only just discovered the roast take aways, and thought how long has she been here, but then I realised you were telling the UK bods that you can get a roast in take away form

DOH!!!! its early
Old Oct 16th 2006, 9:24 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donscbr6
The NZ cookbook bible is the Edmonds Cookbook. It lists absolutely everything, Anzac biscuits, lasagne, pavalova, etc etc. Been around for almost 100 years, almost as old as NZ itself!
This is one of my favorite cake recipes from that book, it's so easy you can't go wrong ... I had my six year old make it the other day and it still was lovely

125g butter (softened)
3/4 cup sugar
2 iggs
2 cups mashed ripe bananas
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons hot milk
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

cream butter and sugar, add iggs, add mashed banana, stir soda into hot milk and add to creamed mixture. Sift flour and baking powder and fold into mixture.
turn into cake tin and bake for about 50 mins at 180c

Yuummmy
Old Oct 16th 2006, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

donscbr6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sky
This is one of my favorite cake recipes from that book, it's so easy you can't go wrong ... I had my six year old make it the other day and it still was lovely

Yuummmy

YUM!!! Banana cake! I can vouch for that one, it's just the best. Have you tried the chocolate cake recipe too?
Old Oct 16th 2006, 9:53 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donscbr6
YUM!!! Banana cake! I can vouch for that one, it's just the best. Have you tried the chocolate cake recipe too?
No but the butter cake is pretty damn good too, I have a huge jar of sugar that I keep a few vanilla pods in to flavour it and I use that in the cakes for extra yumminess
Will try the chocolate cake next I think, Im having a baking day today
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sky

125g butter (softened)
3/4 cup sugar
2 iggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons hot milk
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

cream butter and sugar, add iggs, add mashed banana, stir soda into hot milk and add to creamed mixture. Sift flour and baking powder and fold into mixture.

Yuummmy
Thanks for that sky, I'll do that one soon.
Oh ..and...'iggs'
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:07 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by sky

125g butter (softened)
3/4 cup sugar
2 iggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons hot milk
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Yuummmy
Banana cake ... yuummmm!

Last edited by sky; Oct 17th 2006 at 1:46 am.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Oh my god I'm drooling..........
My chicken salald doesn't look half as appetising now.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:31 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Jude J
Oh my god I'm drooling..........
My chicken salald doesn't look half as appetising now.
Should have sprinkled it with icing sugar for presentation shouldnt I, it looks a bit naked

Choccy cake has just come out of the oven
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:45 am
sky
Banned

Chocolate cake ....

Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:52 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmm yummy! I used to make kick-arse banana bread when I lived in France. I used to add walnuts and rum too to spice it up a bit, they go beautifully together. I think I'll try that recipe, but I only have "aiggs" being in the US and all.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jude J
Thanks for that sky, I'll do that one soon.
Oh ..and...'iggs'
ok that took me ages to get

'iggs'

damn my brain is about as slow as the internet here at work today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.