Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

British Food in NZ

British Food in NZ

Old Oct 13th 2006, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: British Food in NZ

Originally Posted by cherry
I really dont know why Brits expect to find the same sort of food in another country 12,000 miles away with a different culture that is dominant .Sure there are similarities but to expect to be able to get Yorkshire pud and Bangers and Mash or liver and onions like back in the s*i* old poo of UK then forget it.Learn to adapt ,we are the foreigners not the natives .Use the local produce and stop being what you are ,adapt as we shall when we get there in 2 weeks .I am looking forward to a new life ,new horizons ahead and most of all settling in and living the life .Foget the UK and live for today .
The food is the same here! Well, simular anyway. The 'natives' love a KFC as well as a hungi, they eat sausages, mash potato, beans, etc. And Aunt Bessie Yorkshire puds are available in the local supermarkets. What we were saying is if you have favourite type of mayo for example, then this is the brand to buy as it is most like the one you like. I dont know what you are expecting, have you been before?
Old Oct 13th 2006, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cherry
I really dont know why Brits expect to find the same sort of food in another country 12,000 miles away with a different culture that is dominant .Sure there are similarities but to expect to be able to get Yorkshire pud and Bangers and Mash or liver and onions like back in the s*i* old poo of UK then forget it.Learn to adapt ,we are the foreigners not the natives .Use the local produce and stop being what you are ,adapt as we shall when we get there in 2 weeks .I am looking forward to a new life ,new horizons ahead and most of all settling in and living the life .Foget the UK and live for today .
The food to me is basically the same in some aspect...some things are different, for example we bought sausages from the supermarket at first and they were really rubbery, then got some from butchers instead, they are much nicer

i think its a case of finding what the different brands are like and finding what you prefer
Old Oct 13th 2006, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jude J
The food is the same here! Well, simular anyway. The 'natives' love a KFC as well as a hungi, they eat sausages, mash potato, beans, etc. And Aunt Bessie Yorkshire puds are available in the local supermarkets. What we were saying is if you have favourite type of mayo for example, then this is the brand to buy as it is most like the one you like. I dont know what you are expecting, have you been before?
have found ready made yorks puds but not seen aunt bessies, but have heard they are here...they had a thing on the radio about them a couple of months back....not sure i would be able to tell the difference anyway
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kwprwn
have found ready made yorks puds but not seen aunt bessies, but have heard they are here...they had a thing on the radio about them a couple of months back....not sure i would be able to tell the difference anyway
I have really learnt to cook (well learnt to try)..since I have been here, when I think that I had been living away from the family home for 10 years and never cooked a roast dinner until arriving in NZ... Its actually quite a shock to all my English relatives...
But my next challange may seem simple to you guys but I gotta ask...
Lasanga ...is dried pasta OK or do I need to be looking at the fresh stuff to really make it work??? Any special tips??? That don't include egg plant pr pumpkin!!!!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jueinnz
I have really learnt to cook (well learnt to try)..since I have been here, when I think that I had been living away from the family home for 10 years and never cooked a roast dinner until arriving in NZ... Its actually quite a shock to all my English relatives...
Lasanga ...is dried pasta OK or do I need to be looking at the fresh stuff to really make it work??? Any special tips??? That don't include egg plant pr pumpkin!!!!
Dried pasta is fine - follow the instructions on the packet - you don't have to include eggplant or pumpkin - a simple tomato sauce, or a bolognaise sauce made with beef/pork mince is fine - it's the combination of pasta, cheese sauce and tomato/meat sauce which is the key ..... three simple layers, baked in the oven...
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:32 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Ok... cook sauce as for spag bol... mince onion tomatoes herbs etc. Make cheese sauce... or mix cottage cheese, egg, grated cheese. Use dried pasta, the large sheet things. Layer meat pasta cheese... and again and again and again until run out. Add grated cheese and salt and pepper on top. Bung in oven for 50 min on 180 deg.
The dried pasta absorbs the tomato sauce and cooks. If it is still hard you need to cook it longer

A thousand times yummier than the ready made stuff. And only bad for you if you add lots and lots and lots of cheese. And very good for you if you hide lots of vegies in it.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Apple12
Ok... cook sauce as for spag bol... mince onion tomatoes herbs etc. Make cheese sauce... or mix cottage cheese, egg, grated cheese. Use dried pasta, the large sheet things. Layer meat pasta cheese... and again and again and again until run out. Add grated cheese and salt and pepper on top. Bung in oven for 50 min on 180 deg.
The dried pasta absorbs the tomato sauce and cooks. If it is still hard you need to cook it longer

A thousand times yummier than the ready made stuff. And only bad for you if you add lots and lots and lots of cheese. And very good for you if you hide lots of vegies in it.
Thanks for that, was feeling like a right old banana ready the back of a lasanga box in foodtown!!! especially when it old me bugger all!!! Thats tomorrows dinner, or maybe I should wait till Sunday when I've more time and haven't got to go to work...Will let you know how it goes,

Jue
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Apple12

You don't have to confine yourself to large sheet pasta, which can be a bit "gluggy" .... "gluggy"!! hope you know what I mean!! - macaroni, pasta shells, any sort of pasta shapes are ok - apologies to Apple 12 for contradiction!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

daviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to all

I know we all shouldn't worry about the food etc over there, not like we are going to starve, especially with lovely NZ lamb, but OH typical tea drinker, wonders if they will have anything as 'he only drinks yorkshire tea these days' (those from UK will no the advert..) any tea drinking experts in NZ? to give us a good brand
Old Oct 13th 2006, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daviesl
I know we all shouldn't worry about the food etc over there, not like we are going to starve, especially with lovely NZ lamb, but OH typical tea drinker, wonders if they will have anything as 'he only drinks yorkshire tea these days' (those from UK will no the advert..) any tea drinking experts in NZ? to give us a good brand
You can buy Yorkshire tea here and English Breakfast and Irish Breakfast and... and.... loads of choice.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 2:11 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Dilmah is the brand he should buy here, it's pure ceylon tea and is lovely
Old Oct 14th 2006, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

daviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to all

Thank you to both cottageinthesky and sky, OH the tea addict is relieved.

anyone for a brew - he's just put the kettle on?
Old Oct 14th 2006, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

kiwiblossom has a brilliant futurekiwiblossom has a brilliant futurekiwiblossom has a brilliant futurekiwiblossom has a brilliant futurekiwiblossom has a brilliant futurekiwiblossom has a brilliant future

Sky - the place to find dried peas might be a health shop or an Indian grocer's. Last few times I've been in NZ I've been really puzzled at the absence of dried peas and beans at the supermarket.

Gammon - not absolutely sure, but we used to buy something called "boiling bacon" which sounds similar.

Biscuits - although I have a sturdy repertoire of good ole kiwi biscuit recipes, the ones my sons really like to eat AND make (=easy) are Andy's Mom's Snickerdoodles. Google it and you will find a recipe easily, I'm sure.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 9:12 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwiblossom
Sky - the place to find dried peas might be a health shop or an Indian grocer's. Last few times I've been in NZ I've been really puzzled at the absence of dried peas and beans at the supermarket.

Gammon - not absolutely sure, but we used to buy something called "boiling bacon" which sounds similar.

Biscuits - although I have a sturdy repertoire of good ole kiwi biscuit recipes, the ones my sons really like to eat AND make (=easy) are Andy's Mom's Snickerdoodles. Google it and you will find a recipe easily, I'm sure.
There's an Indian supermarket in Christchurch ... fab place it is! Ill check for dried marrowfat peas next time I go thanks for the tip
Old Oct 14th 2006, 9:30 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

For people who don't like the 'crinkle cut' crisps (I don't either) the Delissio (sp) range are light and really nice. Although.... I read lately that one (small) packet of crisps a day is the equivalent to drinking 4 litres of cooking oil a year Now I know why I've lost weight since I got here. Seriously. I hardly ever eat crisps now and it was quite common for me to eat 2 packs at a time before I came here. And I've dropped a dress size.

There's nothing wrong with craving something that you've been used to. It doesn't mean you're not adapting to your new home. This is the fourth country I've lived in and I miss things from all of the other three. I had a moment recently where I'd have given anything to be able to buy a M&S meal. Not for the taste of it - just the convenience. It doesn't have any deep hidden meaning though. Just that I couldn't be bothered cooking and didn't want a takeaway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.