British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   British Food in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/british-food-nz-401175/)

Apple12 Oct 10th 2006 6:07 am

Re: British Food in NZ

Originally Posted by kwprwn
They dont do Gammon here either, although I didnt eat it regular, now I cant have it I fancy it sometimes

Back to the original question, not sure they do Alpen, but they have lots of different mueslis

I have no idea if I am right on this one, so please tell me to pull my head in if necessary... but I thought gammon steak was what is known here as ham steak, as in thick pieces of ham to be fried up, if so you can get them from any supermarket or butcher.

*slinking back into kitchen to finish making fish pie in case I have the wrong end of the stick...*

BTW if you can't find a muesli you like out of the Hubbards range then there must be something wrong, they make dozens of different sorts.

waynepfry Oct 10th 2006 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Apple12
I have no idea if I am right on this one, so please tell me to pull my head in if necessary... but I thought gammon steak was what is known here as ham steak, as in thick pieces of ham to be fried up, if so you can get them from any supermarket or butcher.

*slinking back into kitchen to finish making fish pie in case I have the wrong end of the stick...*

BTW if you can't find a muesli you like out of the Hubbards range then there must be something wrong, they make dozens of different sorts.

Hiya all you Delia Smiths!!!!!!!
Earth mother is not my thing but come on, Alpen is crap and you can make your own or buy any of the varieties in the supermarket, not missed anything yet come from Yorkshire and now no aunt Bessy Yorkshire puds(kids love home made) and as for bisto gravy grans, make your own from the delicious meat juices.
Soo Soo fat now from all that home cooked food (salads for me) :eek:
Jane

poppets Oct 10th 2006 8:07 am

Originally Posted by waynepfry
Hiya all you Delia Smiths!!!!!!!
Earth mother is not my thing but come on, Alpen is crap and you can make your own or buy any of the varieties in the supermarket, not missed anything yet come from Yorkshire and now no aunt Bessy Yorkshire puds(kids love home made) and as for bisto gravy grans, make your own from the delicious meat juices.
Soo Soo fat now from all that home cooked food (salads for me) :eek:
Jane

i make my own museli too- & very healthy :)

sky Oct 10th 2006 8:29 am

I thought that too Apple12, my mate bought some the other day and said they were like gammon

hazeandsteve Oct 10th 2006 4:57 pm

Waynrpfry, not sure if you use it, but Henderson's relish makes an occassional appearance on my plate.
I know it'll be a thing of the past, took me long enough to get some to the Isla Wight. :rolleyes:

southerner Oct 10th 2006 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
We have a shop in Christchurch called Bramptons. Its a British shop and full of all the goodies you could want from home...Hellmans mayo, bisto, custard, dairy milk...to name a few. I only miss Irn Bru, which I can buy there for $2. Im easily pleased... :D

Have you tried the NZ version of Irn Bru - its called Ice Cream Soda and you can get it in 2 litre plastic bottles like all the other fizzy drinks.

southerner Oct 10th 2006 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by sky
I thought that too Apple12, my mate bought some the other day and said they were like gammon

Yep - ham steaks definitely are gammon.

kwprwn Oct 10th 2006 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by southerner
Yep - ham steaks definitely are gammon.

they dont look the same

Apple12 Oct 11th 2006 12:13 am

Originally Posted by kwprwn
they dont look the same

Looks like you are going to have an interesting meal trying them out then ;)

Seriously, go to any butcher or supermarket and test them out.... they might be just fine!

kwprwn Oct 11th 2006 12:30 am

Looks like you are going to have an interesting meal trying them out then ;)

Seriously, go to any butcher or supermarket and test them out.... they might be just fine!

yeah I know

am fussy me!!! :D

i will hold you all personally responsibel if they are not and will fly down your internet cable and .....mmmmm slap you on the wrist :p

waynepfry Oct 11th 2006 12:34 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Waynrpfry, not sure if you use it, but Henderson's relish makes an occassional appearance on my plate.
I know it'll be a thing of the past, took me long enough to get some to the Isla Wight. :rolleyes:

wayne my hubby went to university in Sheffield and got hooked on Henderson's but don,t think we could get it here some how ;)
Jane

cherry Oct 13th 2006 12:58 am

I really dont know why Brits expect to find the same sort of food in another country 12,000 miles away with a different culture that is dominant .Sure there are similarities but to expect to be able to get Yorkshire pud and Bangers and Mash or liver and onions like back in the s*i* old poo of UK then forget it.Learn to adapt ,we are the foreigners not the natives .Use the local produce and stop being what you are ,adapt as we shall when we get there in 2 weeks .I am looking forward to a new life ,new horizons ahead and most of all settling in and living the life .Foget the UK and live for today .

brackley Oct 13th 2006 1:01 am

i made my own bread saurce the other day, i've never done that before

sky Oct 13th 2006 1:02 am

Just got back from Countdown and got meself some ham steaks :D

sky Oct 13th 2006 1:03 am

Originally Posted by brackley
i made my own bread saurce the other day, i've never done that before

Yummm I lurve bread sauce :) I've only ever eaten homemade though. I love it at Christmas cold in turkey sandwiches :D