Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

British Food in NZ

British Food in NZ

Old Oct 9th 2006, 9:47 am
Just Joined

grannygm is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up British Food in NZ

Perhaps I should also add that we love it here and my 2 children 15 & 10 do not want to return to the UK now that they have Sugar Puffs & Alpen for breakfast

Last edited by Sue; Oct 9th 2006 at 11:05 am. Reason: Advertising removed. Please do NOT use this forum to promote your site. Instead you may add a link in our links section.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:23 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Food in NZ

Must admit, thought the mayo was a bit of a let down, then discovered the Peri peri . England now has nothing to hold us back, ciao Hellmans.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:42 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I don't miss anything here now, except maybe mushy peas
We even have got used to the mayonaise.
Last time we got sent some bisto gravy granules they tasted really funny to us and ruined our meal so that just about cured us
Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sky
I don't miss anything here now, except maybe mushy peas
We even have got used to the mayonaise.
Last time we got sent some bisto gravy granules they tasted really funny to us and ruined our meal so that just about cured us
Have you tried the batchelors mushy peas from Foodtown? They are nice. I also think that Masterfoods mayo is the same or very simular to Hellmans, or maybe we have been here too long and forgotten what Hellmans tastes like!
I agree about the bisto, we cant use it anymore anyway as hubs has to eat gluten free but last time I brought it in UK food shop it wasn't nearly as nice as the homemade stuff I have got used to making now.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:59 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like tinned mushy peas, it's the dried ones that you have to soak that I have cravings for.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jude J
Have you tried the batchelors mushy peas from Foodtown? They are nice. I also think that Masterfoods mayo is the same or very simular to Hellmans, or maybe we have been here too long and forgotten what Hellmans tastes like!
I agree about the bisto, we cant use it anymore anyway as hubs has to eat gluten free but last time I brought it in UK food shop it wasn't nearly as nice as the homemade stuff I have got used to making now.
I spent a fortune when I first arrived buying every mayonnaise brand I could find - then someone told me Best brand mayonnaise is made by Hellmans - haven't looked back since!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
I spent a fortune when I first arrived buying every mayonnaise brand I could find - then someone told me Best brand mayonnaise is made by Hellmans - haven't looked back since!
Thats the one! Its in a jar with a blue and yellow label eh?
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Thats the one! Its in a jar with a blue and yellow label eh?
Yep, around $10 for the 860g size jar - no point in buying the smaller size in this household - in fact, I had some leftover homemade coleslaw from last night's supper for lunch today - makes great coleslaw. MOH went off to work with leftover corned beef - the proper cook it yourself, kiwi corned silverside, not the stuff from a tin - and... you guessed it, mayonnaise!

Anyone know how to cook pickled pork - keep seeing it in the supermarket, but not sure what to do with it?
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

I havent tried the best brand yet, I have tried various ones and find them all grotty...is the best brands low fat one similar to the uk one as I find all the low fat ones sweet and yukky

I like the ranch sauce by Paul Newman better heavenly stuff

and thought I would squeeze this is...I MISS WALKERS CRISPS!!!!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Yep, around $10 for the 860g size jar - no point in buying the smaller size in this household - in fact, I had some leftover homemade coleslaw from last night's supper for lunch today - makes great coleslaw. MOH went off to work with leftover corned beef - the proper cook it yourself, kiwi corned silverside, not the stuff from a tin - and... you guessed it, mayonnaise!

Anyone know how to cook pickled pork - keep seeing it in the supermarket, but not sure what to do with it?
Yep, same here, my son eats it with anything, then I go to put a bit with my tuna and jacket spud, and find the jar is empty, or there is just a scraping around the egde Kids eh?

I have no idea how to cook pickled pork, sorry. Sounds interesting though, wouldn't mind trying it.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kwprwn
I havent tried the best brand yet, I have tried various ones and find them all grotty...is the best brands low fat one similar to the uk one as I find all the low fat ones sweet and yukky

Best does do a low fat version, but it's the full fat thick stand-a-spoon in it one for me. It is just like Hellmans - like you, all the others were disgusting. In fact I kept saying, this is not mayonnaise, it's salad cream, yuk!!

Will try PN's ranch sauce. Have to admit that I bought a bottle of his balsamic vinaigrette dressing when I was away and self catering - usually I make my own but I flew to Dunedin for a tournament and didn't have the space to take stuff like that - I was really impressed!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kwprwn

dunno about the low fat one, but the regular is lovely.

Whats that you miss??? I would never have guessed!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Yep, same here, my son eats it with anything, then I go to put a bit with my tuna and jacket spud, and find the jar is empty, or there is just a scraping around the egde Kids eh?

I have no idea how to cook pickled pork, sorry. Sounds interesting though, wouldn't mind trying it.
My kids have all grown and flit the nest - have to say, it is glorious being able to put anything in the fridge and know that it will still be there the next morning. Will ask my kiwi friends how to tackle pickled pork - had to ask them about the corned silverside as well.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Best does do a low fat version, but it's the full fat thick stand-a-spoon in it one for me. It is just like Hellmans - like you, all the others were disgusting. In fact I kept saying, this is not mayonnaise, it's salad cream, yuk!!

Will try PN's ranch sauce. Have to admit that I bought a bottle of his balsamic vinaigrette dressing when I was away and self catering - usually I make my own but I flew to Dunedin for a tournament and didn't have the space to take stuff like that - I was really impressed!
I think we might have to start a recipe thread. I love cooking and as much as poss we try to do it from scratch as hubs is on gluten free diet so some hints and tips would be great. For example, my little daughter has a buscuit for afternoon tea at kindy and has started asking for one at home, I would love to make some, does anyone have a good recipe for buscuits? I was thinking something with raisins/oats.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

I think we might have to start a recipe thread. I love cooking and as much as poss we try to do it from scratch as hubs is on gluten free diet so some hints and tips would be great. For example, my little daughter has a buscuit for afternoon tea at kindy and has started asking for one at home, I would love to make some, does anyone have a good recipe for buscuits? I was thinking something with raisins/oats.

ok i'll look some up i've got loads, just ask i'm happy to help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.