Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

British Citizenship for our New Born

British Citizenship for our New Born

Old Mar 12th 2006, 12:29 am
Just Joined

jon k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Citizenship for our New Born

Marianne and I both hold british passports and have been resident in NZ for about 18months. Our son, Hamilton, was born in January.

How do we go about getting Hamilton registered in the UK? It would be great to give him dual citizenship with all the benefits that will involve (access to EU for his OE).

Can we get him British and New Zealand passports? I know where to go for the NZ passport, but where do we go to get Hamilton UK citizenship and passport.

cheers

jonathan
(not a lot of sleep recently but impressed with the NZ system for midwifery and care)
Old Mar 12th 2006, 12:34 am
turkeytickler

Default Re: British Citizenship for our New Born

Originally Posted by jon k
Marianne and I both hold british passports and have been resident in NZ for about 18months. Our son, Hamilton, was born in January.

How do we go about getting Hamilton registered in the UK? It would be great to give him dual citizenship with all the benefits that will involve (access to EU for his OE).

Can we get him British and New Zealand passports? I know where to go for the NZ passport, but where do we go to get Hamilton UK citizenship and passport.

cheers

jonathan
(not a lot of sleep recently but impressed with the NZ system for midwifery and care)
The British High Commission in Wellington - very efficient they are too - had a passport for my son in 3 weeks....

44 Hill Street
Wellington 1
PO Box 1812

Tel: 04 924 2889 (beware $2 a minute!!)

alternatively - you can download all the forms you need from www.britain.org.nz

Old Mar 12th 2006, 12:34 am
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
The British High Commission in Wellington - very efficient they are too - had a passport for my son in 3 weeks....

44 Hill Street
Wellington 1
PO Box 1812

Tel: 04 924 2889 (beware $2 a minute!!)

alternatively - you can download all the forms you need from www.britain.org.nz

PS - congratulations

Old Mar 12th 2006, 12:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that, do I need to do any other registration of Hamilton in the UK or is this sufficient?
Old Mar 12th 2006, 3:20 am
turkeytickler

Thanks for that, do I need to do any other registration of Hamilton in the UK or is this sufficient?
we didnt - he will be a defacto british citizen by virtue of his parents.

my wife is a kiwi (naturalised to british too through our marriage + her grandparents). We submitted her NZ birth certificate, her certificate of naturalisation, my british birth certificate and our sons NZ birth certificate + numerous countersignatures etc and that was that.

a passport is probably the hardest evidence of citizenship available in any case - i dont think there is any need for a certificate or whatever to prove it.

Old Mar 12th 2006, 6:40 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

cheers

jonathan
Are you by any chance living in Hamilton?
Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Are you by any chance living in Hamilton?
Luckily for the boy we are on the main land.

Although at work two guys are arguing as to whether he was named after the hamilton crane or the jet boat.

It's amazing what you forget when naming children!!!
Old Mar 12th 2006, 11:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

For British citizenship, just get him a British passport from the British High Commission. Do that as soon as possible in case there are any problems (much easier to sort out these at an early stage).

As regards New Zealand citizenship - are you permanent residents of New Zealand or temporary residents?

If you're not permanent residents then the news is not so good - from 1 January 2006, children born to temporary residents in New Zealand are not New Zealand citizens by birth. http://www.citizenship.govt.nz