Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

British citizenship

British citizenship

Old May 24th 2005, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default British citizenship

I would like my hubby to apply for his British Citizenship before leaving the country. Trouble is that we want to do a lot of travel before leaving. Does anybody know if immigration keep your passport and documents for ages or do they just sight them and return quite quickly.
Thanks in advance
KAZ
Old May 24th 2005, 11:17 am
Just Joined

terrybr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: British citizenship

I did this way back in the 80s and the whole process took a fair bit of time - 18 months from memory. They ask for your passports towards the end of that period and in theory only keep them for a few weeks. When you send them, inform then of your intention to travel in a few weeks and they should send them back pronto.
Old May 25th 2005, 12:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
I would like my hubby to apply for his British Citizenship before leaving the country. Trouble is that we want to do a lot of travel before leaving. Does anybody know if immigration keep your passport and documents for ages or do they just sight them and return quite quickly.
Thanks in advance
KAZ
No need to send them your passport - you can send a certified copy of all the pages instead.

Better still - book an appointment with the 'Nationality Checking Service' and they'll likely be able to go through all your documents there and then.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

Processing times these days are usually a lot quicker than 18 months.

Two things to remember in particular:
1. If posting the application to the Home Office, don't do so just as you are about to leave the UK. By law you can only apply to the HO direct (as opposed to through a British mission overseas) if you are *physically* in the UK on the day it's received.

2. Make sure he was in the UK *physically* on the *exact* day 3 years prior to the application being made. (if the 3 year residence requirement applies). If this is not met, the application will be refused or sent back as invalid.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; May 25th 2005 at 12:42 am.