Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

brit army to nz army

brit army to nz army

Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brit army to nz army

Hi Spid try this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367702
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

suzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nice

Nothing wrong with us RAF types you know I loved my time at Odiham and Coltishall, plus numerous dets. Really hoping OH gets accepted to Oz Army, then I can look at getting back into the RAf in Oz. Bummer they don't have my trade though, Air Tragic.

Good luck to those of you waiting.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

owen1710 is an unknown quantity at this point

suzi n steve
no offence intended to you raf lot my hats go off to those people who send their officers off to war instead, we should do that a bit more, and my brother is in the dark side also. i see you are from nottingham grew up in keyworth myself.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Originally Posted by owen1710
suzi n steve
no offence intended to you raf lot my hats go off to those people who send their officers off to war instead, we should do that a bit more, and my brother is in the dark side also. i see you are from nottingham grew up in keyworth myself.
Thought that it may turn into abit of :curse: there for a minute!!!
Hubby was RAF, and now we are RNZAF.
I have friends in all the forces, one big happy family!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Originally Posted by suzi n steve
Nothing wrong with us RAF types you know I loved my time at Odiham and Coltishall, plus numerous dets. Really hoping OH gets accepted to Oz Army, then I can look at getting back into the RAf in Oz. Bummer they don't have my trade though, Air Tragic.

Good luck to those of you waiting.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

suzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nice

Originally Posted by owen1710
suzi n steve
The Dark Side is a wonderful place to be. I went skiing with the RLC once and other half said he would never let me go again as my language was awful. Not to mention my drinking habits... whether you are CRAB Air, Pongo or a sailor boy, we all do brilliant jobs. And it wouldn't be a normal day if we didn't take the mick out of each other. Bring it on

Oh and I was one of the peeps that gave the detail out to officers and aircrew. Nothing like a bit of power for an SAC. I gave them hell at times.

Last edited by suzi n steve; Jan 25th 2008 at 12:32 pm. Reason: addition
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

ref skiv's yes he is still in paderborn. as to crabs nothing against them. got some beautiful memories of flying in hercs.

1. flying out of DR of Congo in 03. Capt decieded to take of and go vertically up. to avoid the bullets etc. then after 5 mins of this he goes vertically down. yup felt as though i was foating. was sure my stomach was going t come out my mouth.

2. flying into afgan back in 02. flying over the mountain range nothing to see for miles when you look out but mountains. it gets dark and all lights are out and its pitch black. usual thing so cant be seen. after about 1/2 hour of this there is this smell of burning. not strong but when you are above a mountain range in middle of night it gets a bit worrying. then one of the crew is searching the inside of the herc with good old right angle torch comp with red filter. as usual inside herc you cant hear a damn thing so no one knows what is going on. ( can still remember seeing duty sprog in corner sure he was praying) after he has been around inside of aircraft (twice) it turns out something on nav system burned out. gone past half way so just kept going. as it wasnt so serious to stop flying. yep who ever said ignorance is bliss. shoot the bugger.

3. flying from north iraq back to apod basra 04. herc weaving side to side at low level to avoid the flac. hot and sweaty in ecba and helmets. middle of night (again) thought i was going to reatch, and ive got a good stomach for flying. watching the first guy grab the bag and start thowing up. which started another 4 more on the sympathy vote.

4. positive note. flying up to northern iraq 04. sitting at the back of a merlin as we flew north flying low watching the world go by as it was daylight this time.

yep i definatly like my feet flat on the ground.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by smiges33
ref skiv's yes he is still in paderborn. as to crabs nothing against them. got some beautiful memories of flying in hercs.

1. flying out of DR of Congo in 03. Capt decieded to take of and go vertically up. to avoid the bullets etc. then after 5 mins of this he goes vertically down. yup felt as though i was foating. was sure my stomach was going t come out my mouth.

2. flying into afgan back in 02. flying over the mountain range nothing to see for miles when you look out but mountains. it gets dark and all lights are out and its pitch black. usual thing so cant be seen. after about 1/2 hour of this there is this smell of burning. not strong but when you are above a mountain range in middle of night it gets a bit worrying. then one of the crew is searching the inside of the herc with good old right angle torch comp with red filter. as usual inside herc you cant hear a damn thing so no one knows what is going on. ( can still remember seeing duty sprog in corner sure he was praying) after he has been around inside of aircraft (twice) it turns out something on nav system burned out. gone past half way so just kept going. as it wasnt so serious to stop flying. yep who ever said ignorance is bliss. shoot the bugger.

3. flying from north iraq back to apod basra 04. herc weaving side to side at low level to avoid the flac. hot and sweaty in ecba and helmets. middle of night (again) thought i was going to reatch, and ive got a good stomach for flying. watching the first guy grab the bag and start thowing up. which started another 4 more on the sympathy vote.

4. positive note. flying up to northern iraq 04. sitting at the back of a merlin as we flew north flying low watching the world go by as it was daylight this time.

yep i definatly like my feet flat on the ground.
just read back my quote. if planning to go to nz i suppose i will have to fly. wont be able to keep my feet on the ground for a long time
Old Jul 26th 2008, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

few3976 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all
i'am engrs myself 11yrs !! god its scary when i say it out loud.
just applied to join the RNZAF waiting to hear if i have an interview in sept wondering if i have any chance of getting an interview ?! what have other people found the RNZAF like to deal with ? boy i hate waiting this is when your mind works over time thinking alsorts of rubbish !!

Frankie W
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spid
HI there,

this looks like a great thread - 31 pages worth - i've only read the first 5 so far, but i've done a search and i can't find any reference to wages.

Hubby is a Squadron Leader (level5) - if he transfered what would he get? What are the bases like and where? Do they have quarters? etc etc? But first and foremost what are the wages like so we can work out wether to go down this route. Thanks
There has just been a major shake-up of the military pay system and some of the details are still emerging. Depending on branch, a Sqn Ldr would expect to be paid in the $105k-$120k region
There are quarters - they tend to be a bit small and basic (even compared to UK married quarters) but very cheap. I can't comment much on the bases - I've visited Whenuapai a couple of times (I'm in the RNZN) and it is suffering a bit due to the proposed move to Ohakea but still seems a nice enough place, in a good location.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

Few

My hubby is in the army here, tranx quite successfullt over 2yrs ago. I know that army side of things here are getting picky now as so many people are jumping on the bandwagon of extending their army carreers so they can now afford to be a lot more stringent.

I live in a little town near Ohakea and have met a lot of Brit airforce guys and I have got to be honest, I havent met one that has settled in really well.
I am only going on what info we hear but I hear that a lot of them are jumping ship once their contract is fulfilled. On reports they arent that well treated. Then it goes with the individual.
I suppose its a good way of getting into the country for free as the airforce pay for your removals and flights. We didnt have that luxury.

Need any more info give me a shout and I can try and get you in touch with someone that have a chat with you about it.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 5:35 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keznjj
Few

My hubby is in the army here, tranx quite successfullt over 2yrs ago. I know that army side of things here are getting picky now as so many people are jumping on the bandwagon of extending their army carreers so they can now afford to be a lot more stringent.

I live in a little town near Ohakea and have met a lot of Brit airforce guys and I have got to be honest, I havent met one that has settled in really well.
I am only going on what info we hear but I hear that a lot of them are jumping ship once their contract is fulfilled. On reports they arent that well treated. Then it goes with the individual.
I suppose its a good way of getting into the country for free as the airforce pay for your removals and flights. We didnt have that luxury.

Need any more info give me a shout and I can try and get you in touch with someone that have a chat with you about it.
Has that got anything to do with where Ohakea is? The reason I ask is that I know someone from around there (she grew up in Bulls) and mentioned that she could never go back there to live. She didn't have a problem with it as such, but rather felt that the community was very much a military and farming group. If you wanted something different, or you didn't fit into either then you had a bit of a problem. Put it this way, she went to Palmerston North for a big night out. Whereas, I would imagine somewhere like Whenuapai is a bit less remote?

Or maybe that is just my outsider point of view
Old Jul 28th 2008, 6:42 am
Just Joined

few3976 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by keznjj
Few

Hey thanks alot for the reply keznjj all info is warmly welcomed my move maybe a little while off but these things have a habit of jumping out on you !!! i think like you mentioned if it is that bad i'll still be in New Zealand.
Just another question do you know if the Airforce are big on there sports Mainly snowboarding and rugby ? How have you guys found living in New Zealand ? again thanks for taking the time to respond

Few
Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

Your friend would be right, Bulls is very military, purely for the cheap housing and it is about 30 mins outside Palmy. I personally think it is a lovely little town but then I wouldnt live in it and havent lived in it.
A lot of the Airforce guys live here in Feilding so I dont think Bulls has anything to do with their unhappiness

FEW: m not too sure what the airforce do for sports but yes rugby and snow sports are pretty popular.here regardless, rugby is the prime sports here, everything stops for it We are heading up to the MT Ruapehu in a couple of weeks for skiing and snowboarding so will let you know what that is like.

Also I wouldnt exactly say you would get a big night out in Palmy but it is the nearest town for a drink its not bad, they love their karoke over here so if you get a good bar that does that then it is hilarious, what with the Maoris, they are a funny bunch. Stack loads of restuarants so if your hungry you wont starve

Give me a shout guys if you need any more info