British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   brit army to nz army (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/brit-army-nz-army-506819/)

smiges33 Jan 16th 2008 9:49 pm

brit army to nz army

any one in here applied or got into the nz army from th brit army. have seen sight on the rnzaf and plenty of info for that, but seems little for nz army. have seen the nz army home page. most information is better from people who have actually done it rather than the advertising hype.

suzi n steve Jan 17th 2008 12:56 pm

Re: brit army to nz army

OH applied to the NZ Army - got a reply in the negative and that was from his initial query. Still waiting out on the Oz Army though. Have sent copies of reports etc to them just waiting to hear if the labour agreement has been amended. If it is then we'll be off to Oz. Failing that, NZ via work permits. Good luck!

owen1710 Jan 17th 2008 5:33 pm

Hi all first post so be careful with me! I have been looking around these forums for a while waiting for this topic, i am also looking at the nz army waiting to see what the promotion board is like this year to be honest then will cut and run to nz army if they will have me so if anyone can shed light on transfer process would also be grateful , cheers!

teebrown Jan 18th 2008 2:18 pm

Hello, well this is my first post on here, so here goes.

We have applied for both NZ army and Oz Army, we visited NZ with the kids last year for a month, we are currently in our last year before the big 22 yrs are up with the Brit Army.

we heard back from NZ Army after approxiamtely 4 months from submitting our application and we (me and my husband he's the one in the army) were called for interview in September to NZ house in London, and now we are just waiting for the yes or no, they have told us we should hear early New Year, so fingers crossed. We know a few people out there doing the job at the moment and are loving it.

The Oz army was Plan B and you should submit your paperwork to them a bout 2 (or even 2 half) years before you want to leave, as it can take a long time, we also have friends there and it took the full 2 years to get from one Army to the next. We still haven't heard from them yet and it has been 5 months now.

try these websites for some more info:

http://www.nzdf.mil.nz/

http://www.army.mil.nz/ - click on the careers and then left handside, overseas applicant.

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/career...aInfoBody.html

Hope this helps a little

smiges33 Jan 19th 2008 7:12 pm

yes it helps thank you. i have all ready visited the sight. only problem i can see about getting in is that i am downgraded with my knee. not that its stopped me deploying to iraq though.:rofl: had a clerk in regt who has just transfered over he thinks i could get in being downgraded. have not applied yet as it says on web site to apply at least 18 months in advance. that point doesnt come may this year.

just looked on the defence site and it says that the defence force is 9000ish strong. must be full of brits then :)

zoe99 Jan 20th 2008 9:20 pm

Have you not has enough of the Army? I am leaving in may after 8 years of being a QA!! I cant wait to be a civvie, no more CFT's, BPFA's fantastic! although practically all my military career has been working in the NHS.

I also thought that the NZ Army takes cpl to ssgt only? not sure on that one though, I hope it works out if thats what you want.

smiges33 Jan 20th 2008 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by zoe99 (Post 5815725)
Have you not has enough of the Army? I am leaving in may after 8 years of being a QA!! I cant wait to be a civvie, no more CFT's, BPFA's fantastic! although practically all my military career has been working in the NHS.

I also thought that the NZ Army takes cpl to ssgt only? not sure on that one though, I hope it works out if thats what you want.

well fall into the rank bracket so no problem there. if i had had enough of the army then i would not be thinking about transfering to another. also if i can get in it would be an easier way to get to nz. dont have to stay in the army forever though.

zoe99 Jan 20th 2008 9:53 pm

I hope it works out for you, at least it would be better than breacon or catterick!! I am sure there is a permanent black cloud over catterick with its own unique weather system! I know someone who has just completed their 22 years in the navy and has now joined the NZ air force, seems to really like it.

owen1710 Jan 23rd 2008 8:31 am

well same goes for me, it seems an easier way to get into nz and will give you the added security of having an income and will get you straight into a community with new friends

owen1710 Jan 23rd 2008 6:15 pm

hi smiges33, just saw one of your replies on another thread see your in the Engrs, me too, saw you are a res spec , me too, see you are in germany well i am in sunny tidworth, where abouts are you in germany if you don't mind me asking, might have some familiar work colleagues small world the resources world

smiges33 Jan 23rd 2008 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by owen1710 (Post 5829506)
hi smiges33, just saw one of your replies on another thread see your in the Engrs, me too, saw you are a res spec , me too, see you are in germany well i am in sunny tidworth, where abouts are you in germany if you don't mind me asking, might have some familiar work colleagues small world the resources world

paderborn. aint it always a small world:rofl:

take it you have been reading the raf thread as well then

teebrown Jan 24th 2008 6:37 am

Oh we did 6 years in Paderborn, 2 years of it with the engr (we are Reme), but now back in Blighty (unfortunately).

On another point someone made, they have a ceiling rank of SSgt in NZ army, but when we applied hubby was/is a WO and they still interviewed us - still waiting though for the answer.:huh:

spid Jan 24th 2008 7:11 am

HI there,

this looks like a great thread - 31 pages worth - i've only read the first 5 so far, but i've done a search and i can't find any reference to wages.

Hubby is a Squadron Leader (level5) - if he transfered what would he get? What are the bases like and where? Do they have quarters? etc etc? But first and foremost what are the wages like so we can work out wether to go down this route. Thanks

spid Jan 24th 2008 7:25 am

Originally Posted by spid (Post 5832206)
HI there,

this looks like a great thread - 31 pages worth - i've only read the first 5 so far, but i've done a search and i can't find any reference to wages.

Hubby is a Squadron Leader (level5) - if he transfered what would he get? What are the bases like and where? Do they have quarters? etc etc? But first and foremost what are the wages like so we can work out wether to go down this route. Thanks

where are the other pages? they've gone missing ! i was about to trawl through them!

owen1710 Jan 24th 2008 9:05 am

is skivs still in paderborn? i will give him a ring next week if he is, what is the regt currently like, after a move back to germany after i finished here in tidworth as i need to save up some euros if i want to move to nz and at the very least the nz engrs can't be as inept as the clowns we have running 22, as for the raf thread i have been skipping through it something i never thought about was crossing over to the crabs but if needs must, please keep us posted about anymore info as like yourself i am finding first hand info quite rare.