Reload this Page >

Brisbane or Wellington

Brisbane or Wellington

Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

leigh10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane or Wellington

Hi,

I am new to this forum and wanted to know if anyone could assist me with some advice.

I lived in Sydney for 6 years and then went back to the UK. I did not like Sydney due to the fact that it was a very hard city to live in, people were not particularly friendly and in the end I decided to go back to the UK.

When I went back to the UK I was shocked how bad it was and stopped my shipping in Sydney and am now in Auckland...

I am now trying to work out whether to go to Brisbane or Wellington. It has to be one of those cities due to my work which is in IT but I do not have a clue about any of them aghhhhh.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of Wellington on this forum as I have been told it is lovely and am thinking of driving there from Auckland.

Thanks
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

jim b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brisbane or Wellington

Hi I lived in wellington on and off for 2 years and loved it - completely different to sydney of course where I also worked for a year and loved. When I first arrived in wellington it was cold wet and grey but I stuck it out people are friendly - very laid back city lots of great coffe shops for a city its size nice bars, nice bays and beaches but will feel very small town in comparison to sydney. However near south island which is a bonus.. Its great for mountan biking windsurfing etc and skiing in ruapehu 3 hrs drive away. I have a job offer in nz - in wellington so in process of emigrating at the mo. i think its great if you love the outdoors and a laid back lifestyle and don't mind the cold blustery days (followed by blazing sunshine) but if you are single and looking for a party , prob not the greatest place but you have to see for yourself id recommend it any day.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jim b
Hi I lived in wellington on and off for 2 years and loved it - completely different to sydney of course where I also worked for a year and loved. When I first arrived in wellington it was cold wet and grey but I stuck it out people are friendly - very laid back city lots of great coffe shops for a city its size nice bars, nice bays and beaches but will feel very small town in comparison to sydney. However near south island which is a bonus.. Its great for mountan biking windsurfing etc and skiing in ruapehu 3 hrs drive away. I have a job offer in nz - in wellington so in process of emigrating at the mo. i think its great if you love the outdoors and a laid back lifestyle and don't mind the cold blustery days (followed by blazing sunshine) but if you are single and looking for a party , prob not the greatest place but you have to see for yourself id recommend it any day.
I lived in Brisbane for a short while and found it really unbearable during the summer for heat and insects.

cockroaches like 3 inches long running around in your house!!!

mental weather too when its thundering.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grantanddebs
I lived in Brisbane for a short while and found it really unbearable during the summer for heat and insects.

cockroaches like 3 inches long running around in your house!!!

mental weather too when its thundering.
They are sooooooooooooo different its a very hard question. How do you like blistering heat..and its getting hotter too apparently? Brisbane is pretty much away on its own. Very isolated in terms of the other 'big 'places in Oz. A big seaside metropolis in the middle of a huge superheated continent. I would chose Wellington everytime as there is a huge array of variety on your doorstep. Both have beaches one has reasonable, windy weather the other is hot, hot, hot, then big rain and lots of humidity. Wellington is a lovely place. Bribane is looking more like Costa del Sol these days. Awesome for a month vacation..but to live? Then people say the latter about NZ!!!! What do you want out of your locale?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:41 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Very isolated in terms of the other 'big 'places in Oz. A big seaside metropolis in the middle of a huge superheated continent.

Bribane is looking more like Costa del Sol these days. Awesome for a month vacation..but to live?
Are you sure you are talking about the same Brisbane I live in?

Brisbane has not got any beaches...so how can it be like the costa del sol?

It is not at all isolated....it is about 1000km to Sydney and there are several major towns ie. Ipswich, Toowoomba, Gold coast etc. within easy distance. The gold coast is 45 minutes away from central Brisbane and Ipswich less than that..

It is no more isolated than any NZ city....in fact less so.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:59 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Are you sure you are talking about the same Brisbane I live in?

Brisbane has not got any beaches...so how can it be like the costa del sol?

It is not at all isolated....it is about 1000km to Sydney and there are several major towns ie. Ipswich, Toowoomba, Gold coast etc. within easy distance. The gold coast is 45 minutes away from central Brisbane and Ipswich less than that..

It is no more isolated than any NZ city....in fact less so.
But ... according to your sig ... "Australia Is The Brisbane Of The World", doesn't that kind of prove the original poster to be correct ... relatively.

Except they aren't, obviously, I mean you know that and I know that ...
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:10 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
But ... according to your sig ... "Australia Is The Brisbane Of The World", doesn't that kind of prove the original poster to be correct ... relatively.

Except they aren't, obviously, I mean you know that and I know that ...
I'm not saying the pace is any good or even nicer than wellington.....simply that is is not isolated....or like the costa del sol
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:15 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying the pace is any good or even nicer than wellington.....simply that is is not isolated....or like the costa del sol
And right you are, for the purposes of attempted comedy I was trying to shoe-horn in a joke rather than oppose outright and in a fact-based manner the original perception of this 'ere place.

Anyway, you can be 'isolated' in a big city ... it's all in the head ... maaaaan ... I mean, what does it matter anyway? Who wakes up in the morning and thinks 'Christ, I'm 1400km from the next major city?'.

I have difficulty enough finding clean underpants.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I am mistaking it with the Gold Coast..I guess I kind of thought they were all one 'thing'..point taken. Sorry. Re the isolation I meant in terms of the size of the place. The distances betwixt Brisbane and the next sizable place are quite large aye? NZ is so small no where is that far. There is a huge variety of stuff on Wellington's doorstep. There is the South Isle and all that brings. There is the Kapiti coast, skiing at Ruaphehu, the Tuatara Ranges on Wellington's doorstep, Lake Taupo/Rotorua et al. I am sure Brisbane has much to see and do but my point is Wellington is more diverse. This isn't about what is 'better' its what will suit the OP. I can see why no one would want to live in Wellington for many a reason, by contrast I can see why many would chose Brisbane over ANY part of NZ.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Sorry I am mistaking it with the Gold Coast..I guess I kind of thought they were all one 'thing'..point taken. Sorry. Re the isolation I meant in terms of the size of the place. The distances betwixt Brisbane and the next sizable place are quite large aye? NZ is so small no where is that far. There is a huge variety of stuff on Wellington's doorstep. There is the South Isle and all that brings. There is the Kapiti coast, skiing at Ruaphehu, the Tuatara Ranges on Wellington's doorstep, Lake Taupo/Rotorua et al. I am sure Brisbane has much to see and do but my point is Wellington is more diverse. This isn't about what is 'better' its what will suit the OP. I can see why no one would want to live in Wellington for many a reason, by contrast I can see why many would chose Brisbane over ANY part of NZ.
That's OK....Brisbane is basically a big sprawl of a place with both good and bad parts.....there is actually not a huge amount of green between Brisbane and the Gold coast but both are sizeable cities.

I don't know wellington but will be over there for a wedding later in the year.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

I can see why no one would want to live in Wellington for many a reason, by contrast I can see why many would chose Brisbane over ANY part of NZ.
this is quick notes.

its mainly to do with the crap weather in Welly, and in fact, I am SO GLAD this place won't be over crowded or even come close....no way! yay! majority asian immigrants or refugees or even bunch of Muslim/asylum seekers won't choose Welly to live.. by their OWN CHOICE anyway... yes, there are loads of refugees in Welly.. I saw them heaps.. but (by and large) they are usually relocated by govt not by their own choices.

here,,,the weather is nasty freezing cold for least 8 months a year.. The reason I came back to Welly was I'd rather choose crap weather than living with loads of Chinese, Muslims, Indians... well sorry if I sounded a bit racist but I am not a racist and nothing wrong with them (I just found not comfortable enough living with those bunch of big groups... cos I am not used... but some people wouldn't bother...but it does matter to me...) personally, I find Welly is way more peaceful and SAFEr than Sydney, Brisbane or even Auckland. - again its from my personal experiences. believe it or not, I got attacked by a Lebanese, and an Indian while living in ozz.. I don't' even want to tell you all the crap stories I had in ozz... but I'd honestly say, life wasn't easy there in so many ways.

Brisbane is definitely nicer and more pleasant environment to live in. but the noisy birds (they are SO BLOODY LOUD!!- gosh I hate them!!!! I have to go to library to study!!!!), lacking of water (SO ANNOYING), Not to mention disgusting huge cockroaches everywhere, and TOO HOT to do anything!!!!!! I had 45 minutes commute to downtown Brisbane, and every morning & evening, I thought I was nearly going to die.... it was physically so hard.. (walking in the blazing sun, the long queue, and waiting for the bus ....you already become exhausted.. on your way to work or home...TOO TIRED! plues SO MANY people, and jamming the traffic!!! ...like London )......and the other thing about Brisbane is.... there are no enough jobs.........no advertisements on news papers....no vacancies.... one of reasons... I moved to Sydney was I found a job that I prefer...I heard there are so many people who want to live there permanently therefore they hardly quit jobs... so no vacancies.. I must admit that Welly has a bit crappy environment, definitely crap weather /no many nice houses...or areas... and nothing like Beverly Hills.... and I'd call this place is village.. not city.... however, I got the impression that Welly city is a lot more cleaner and tidier than Brisbane downtown. Me & both my parents found Brisbane city centre is so dark, old, and dirty.. and unpleasant... Welly is easy to get around and just more hygienic. Personally, I prefer to live somewhere CLEAN boring places than somewhere exciting, DIRTY and dangerous. Again, its my preference tho. OP, If I were you, I'd follow my job....ok? What else could be more important than having a job and supporting yourself.... I didn't' join my partner when he leaves for London, because of my job... I just couldn't leave in the middle of a project.....can be very irresponsible..

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 7th 2010 at 11:46 am.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

That's OK....Brisbane is basically a big sprawl of a place with both good and bad parts.....there is actually not a huge amount of green between Brisbane and the Gold coast but both are sizeable cities.

I don't know wellington but will be over there for a wedding later in the year.
Its tiny, windy and wonderful!!! Too expensive for me to afford to live there!! Its due a big 'quake BUT they have put the imminent danger on 'hold' for now.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Having spent a number of months touring both NZ and Aussie in 2006, I chose to come to Wellington in 2007 to live and work, if I had decided on Aussie over NZ then I would have moved to Melbourne.

Brisbane didn't even make it onto the list as it was one of the most depressing, godawfull places I stayed in either of the countries (that includes Invercargill and Auckland ).

No brainer for me, Welly any day of the week