British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Bringing wicker into NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bringing-wicker-into-nz-770258/)

Pomwi Sep 1st 2012 7:05 pm

Bringing wicker into NZ

Did any of you bring wicker, seagrass, rattan etc goods with you? I have been advised not to but I have a whole collection of baskets which I am loathe to leave behind and am wondering what the reality of the restrictions are?

higgy2 Sep 1st 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Bringing wicker into NZ

Our shippers said these would not be allowed in so we got rid
of them.

dannigirl Sep 1st 2012 7:22 pm

No problems with any of my wicker baskets from shippers (haven't reached NZ yet). Just make sure you clean them really well (vaccum). I think it is more a sign of lazy shippers tbh. There should be no problem if they are clean.

concretepump Sep 1st 2012 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pomwi (Post 10259022)
Did any of you bring wicker, seagrass, rattan etc goods with you? I have been advised not to but I have a whole collection of baskets which I am loathe to leave behind and am wondering what the reality of the restrictions are?

as long as they have been treated, then no problems, when we went we took a three piece bamboo sett maf never even looked at it:thumbsup:

ellenarosemary Sep 1st 2012 9:30 pm

Our shippers said wicker is fine, no need even to treat. They said they would be more interested in the older type of wicker i.e. lloyd loom type things as most of the modern stuff comes from china or thereabouts anyway. Dont throw out your baskets etc just hoover them thoroughly, that should be fine. We have a wicker settee set plus loads of baskets and linen chests etc all wicker and im taking it all.

Snap Shot Sep 1st 2012 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pomwi (Post 10259022)

We didn't want to take any chances so I got rid of my seagrass basket which was big enough for recycled newspapers. I also got rid of the wicker waste paper baskets too.

However, that still left an ornamental ostrich egg, leather belts, shoes and handbags, a silk dress, sheepskin underlay, wooden ornaments.

MAF were interested in the ornamental ostrich egg but could see it had been professionally treated so it was ok. MAF were all over our hoover but it passed. He also looked at the wooden ornaments not least because they originated in Africa where my husband went overlanding back in 1993.

Everything was ok. MAF asked abou the tent. The truth was it hadn't been used since we were camping on the South Island in 1997 !

So, all of our stuff passed. It occured to me several months later that MAF took no interest in the wooden spoons and wooden chopping boards from the kitchen. Yes they were used but clean, my point being is there a microscopic bio hazard from the food that has been prepared using these utensils. Anyway, never mind.

Good luck with all your plans.

simonsi Sep 2nd 2012 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie (Post 10259191)
We didn't want to take any chances so I got rid of my seagrass basket which was big enough for recycled newspapers. I also got rid of the wicker waste paper baskets too.

However, that still left an ornamental ostrich egg, leather belts, shoes and handbags, a silk dress, sheepskin underlay, wooden ornaments.

MAF were interested in the ornamental ostrich egg but could see it had been professionally treated so it was ok. MAF were all over our hoover but it passed. He also looked at the wooden ornaments not least because they originated in Africa where my husband went overlanding back in 1993.

Everything was ok. MAF asked abou the tent. The truth was it hadn't been used since we were camping on the South Island in 1997 !

So, all of our stuff passed. It occured to me several months later that MAF took no interest in the wooden spoons and wooden chopping boards from the kitchen. Yes they were used but clean, my point being is there a microscopic bio hazard from the food that has been prepared using these utensils. Anyway, never mind.

Good luck with all your plans.

Ours was just boxed and no questions were ever asked.

janeyk Sep 2nd 2012 8:30 pm

Both times we came we brought Wicker and sea grass we wipped with jeys and it was fine, we also brought garden tools alcohol and outdoor plant pots and untreated garden furniture no problems just label clearly!

Bev MK Sep 2nd 2012 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by janeyk (Post 10260403)
Both times we came we brought Wicker and sea grass we wipped with jeys and it was fine, we also brought garden tools alcohol and outdoor plant pots and untreated garden furniture no problems just label clearly!

Presumably you have to pay duty on consumables such as alcohol? I'm thinking of bringing a few months of Pampers as we were in NZ for about a month recently and I couldn't find any nappies that didn't leak the whole time and it was a nuisance - she's just not the right shape for Huggies! I was assuming I'd have to pay import duty if I put consumables like that in my shipment?

RobDon Sep 2nd 2012 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bev MK (Post 10260419)
Presumably you have to pay duty on consumables such as alcohol?

We brought alcohol with us, about 5/6 bottles if I remember correctly, in our container and as long as its not excessive amounts its just treated as `personal effects`. No duty to pay. :thumbup:

Bev MK Sep 3rd 2012 7:03 am

Originally Posted by RobDon (Post 10260466)
We brought alcohol with us, about 5/6 bottles if I remember correctly, in our container and as long as its not excessive amounts its just treated as `personal effects`. No duty to pay. :thumbup:

I would never have guessed that! Most places I've been have been pretty strict about limiting the tax-free bit of the container to non-consumables so this sounds good to me. Though I don't think I'd bring many consumables anyway - just some pampers and a few favourite toiletries probably. Might have to work out which alcohol to bring though. Generally a Guinness/Bacardi/Pimms kind of person! Quite like Madeira though which makes me sound about 90 and you rarely find that outside Europe so maybe a bottle or two of that!

gaz1277 Sep 3rd 2012 7:13 am

We brought over wicker furniture and other outdoor things, MAF get the packing list and turn up to inspect when you unpack your container (in our case, into a storage facility). MAF wanted to inspect the items they think may have traces of Bio hazard on them, so I had to pull out my walking boots, Wellies, golf shoes etc and they checked the cleanliness of the outdoor furniture, bikes, golf clubs etc. If your are keen with your cleaning, you will have no problems. Word of advice, start a long time before you pack, you'll be surprised how long it takes to do everything!